Over a progression the key of Em, I solo with all the notes in the E minor scale except I like to replace the C with a C#. I think that's a Bm scale, but I'm unsure. Anyways, what effect would this have using this in a progression in Em. It has nothing to do with Bm yet it sounds good.

Also, say you have a simple 12 bar blues and it's Emaj to Amaj and the Bmaj. The root chord is an E major yet if you use an E minor scale, it sounds fine; this isn't contradicting? What other scale would work over this progression, I want to experiment!

thanks!
Quote by Hamburgular
Over a progression the key of Em, I solo with all the notes in the E minor scale except I like to replace the C with a C#. I think that's a Bm scale, but I'm unsure. Anyways, what effect would this have using this in a progression in Em. It has nothing to do with Bm yet it sounds good.

Also, say you have a simple 12 bar blues and it's Emaj to Amaj and the Bmaj. The root chord is an E major yet if you use an E minor scale, it sounds fine; this isn't contradicting? What other scale would work over this progression, I want to experiment!

thanks!

As noted above in the first example you're employing an accidental to the scale, and it can resemble E dorian.

In the second example, one of the signatures of blues soloing is playing minor pentatonics over a song in E major. This is basically what you're doing here.

Overall you're realising you can add accidentals of any sort at any time you want. Grats!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
thanks

So say I'm playing a simple 12 bar blues with an E (major, 7th, or whatever), an A, and a B.
What are some cool sounding scales to play over this? Obviously Em and E dorian sound good, any one else have some cool things I can try?
E major, try going between E major and E blues. It's not about how many scales you can use though. People can spend their life in the pentatonic scale and still be creative.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Well, it's most common for blues musicians to play with the minor pentatonic as a basis, then add other notes, like the b5, 7, or 6.

To be honest, the minor pentatonic scale by itself will get you pretty far if you know how to use it.

The reason the minor pentatonic scale works so well over a I IV V blues is because all the notes are either a 1 or a b7 to one of those chords. It's pretty common to make the chords all dominant sevenths (which is where that b7 comes into play). A I7 (E7 in the key of E) gives you the 1 and b7 (E and D), a IV7 (A7) gives you the 4 and b3 (A and G), and a V7 gives you the 5 and 4 (B and A). All in all, this is 1 b3 4 5 b7 (E G A B D), the minor pentatonic scale.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea