Poll Options
View poll results: Thoughts?
I agree with MH400.
52 46%
MH400 is wrong and obviously on drugs.
60 54%
Voters: 112.
Page 1 of 2
Saturated with crap. As in, becoming full of everything.

Music seems to be getting repetitive. Notice how with the majority of bands, you feel like you've heard it all before?

Business. The World is full of them. It's almost impossible to think of an original concept. And then its almost impossible to get it off the ground due to competition, saturation of regulations etc etc.

Art. Or modern Art. Pure crap in most's opinion. People seem to be running out of ideas and have resorted to seemingly sneeze on canvas and label it art.

Anyone agree?

I honestly don't care if you flame my opinion. I wish I was born 40 years ago, tbh.
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Mar 20, 2011,
ITT: Teenagers will recall the "good ol' days"
Check out my band Disturbed
Yes. Off yourself Jay.

Just kidding

Edit: Dammit I thought this was going to be about something different.
Quote by StewieSwan
ITT: Teenagers will recall the "good ol' days"

Not really.

1. With music, its obvious. Its all people seem to moan about.

2. I'm business minded. Its what I study at Uni. Of course business was easier back in the day. So many niches in the market, not as many regulations etc.

3. Modern Art speaks for itself.
RIP Tom Searle.
No no, it's always been like this to the people who live in that moment. In the 60's and 70's there were still people who thought the music sucked, and no one thought there was anything left to invent--simply because they couldn't think of anything. Before the computer do you think people said, "you know, there's a huge void here to be filled"? No, they didn't. There are lots of ideas in the works and society will continue to evolve.

EDIT: But yes, there are more regulations on business today, as well as more competition and stuff than there used to be, I give you that
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Last edited by namesroverrated at Mar 20, 2011,
I'm personally okay with world becoming full of crap. Cause my music still sounds original, and I'm a pretty good person, so the world becoming less original and full of crap makes me even more original
There was shit in the old days too, it was forgotten about because it was shit. Easy concept.

None of these sound the same bands will be around long. They will either have to adapt to new trends like some sort of faggy chameleon or lead the pack. The latter is hard to do.
Quote by MH400
Not really.

1. With music, its obvious. Its all people seem to moan about.

That's because people have nostalgic value attached to music. It isn't any worse today than it has been for the past 100 years.

2. I'm business minded. Its what I study at Uni. Of course business was easier back in the day. So many niches in the market, not as many regulations etc.

I disagree. With the advent of the internet it's so much easier to get your name out or provide a service that didn't exist 20 years ago. Granted that also means more competition, but overall I think it's easier to run a business in today's world.

3. Modern Art speaks for itself.

That's a pretty rad opinion.
i tend to believe that humans and society are no different today, than there were yesterday, and how they will be tomorrow.

we just have global, 24/7 media and instant access to every reach of the world that brings all the junk to the forefront.

tl;dr - i dont watch oprah.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
"Society" will go on, but that doesn't make it any better. It will go on and on until humans eventually destroy themselves, and then it will start all over again.
Just go all Thoreau on their asses.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Not to say that people in general will ever realize this, "but such is the character of that morrow which mere lapse of time can never make to dawn. The light which puts out our eyes is darkness to us. Only that day dawns to which we are awake. There is more day to dawn. The sun is but a morning star."

With the current social mindset, it's hard to think that self-reliance and self-sufficiency are the only way to find meaning in your life, but if you are looking to escape the influence of a decadent society, that's the way it has to be.

/rant.
Quote by Lots O' FX
There's a guy named, I shit you not, Hunter Goldhammer. I have never met him, I only heard his name over the PA, but I assume he's a dwarf paladin.

Quote by skwelcher
I'm like the real life version of the socially awkward penguin.
Quote by StewieSwan

I disagree. With the advent of the internet it's so much easier to get your name out or provide a service that didn't exist 20 years ago. Granted that also means more competition, but overall I think it's easier to run a business in today's world.

Getting your name out is only advertising - not coming up with an original concept. Yes, the Internet provided new niches, but they've all seemingly been filled.

Once again, running a business =/= coping with the saturation of regulations for starting a new business.
RIP Tom Searle.
No. There is a lot of everything, but if you ignore the pulp and focus on the quality you won't be bothered by it. It's not like you have to listen to every album and watch every film, just check out the ones you like.
I agree with you, we need more genuinely insane, activist-revolutionists.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
What I'm really interested in is how we'll see the music back in the 2000s/2010s in 30-40 years time. Will they dig out the good stuff from our generation and laugh at the Biebers and the Blacks, or will they fall in love with the 2000s pop culture and listening to Katy Perry will become hipster? If music keeps becoming crap, maybe

All the art stuff was much better from the 70s and 80s, but that's just me. I do think you're on drugs though Jay
I think I'm gonna make a graph for the quality of your threads over the past 12 months, then watch Line Rider go down it like a crazy man!
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
you seriously make the best threads in the Pit.
OT: totally agree

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
you seriously make the best threads in the Pit.

Not sure if sarcasm

If it is, then I'm very flattered.
If it isn't, then I agree. The Madcap gets my vote
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
Art. Or modern Art. Pure crap in most's opinion. People seem to be running out of ideas and have resorted to seemingly sneeze on canvas and label it art.

That is because you don't understand it. I have studied art, and I dislike modern art, but I know why it is popular and all that. I could try to explain it to you, but you need a rather big cultural artistic background history knowledge to understand me...
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
music right now - amazing, its finally not being run by record companies, its diverse as hell and people are experimenting more than ever. unless you have a radio glued to your head and thats the only music you hear i dont see what your talking about. go out and search for some music, bands are smaller now and finding them takes a little more time but that makes it worth it

business - dont know enough to say, but judging from how much you generalized id say im more accurate in saying no

art- study its history thats a very uneducated opinion
Quote by namesroverrated
No no, it's always been like this to the people who live in that moment. In the 60's and 70's there were still people who thought the music sucked, and no one thought there was anything left to invent--simply because they couldn't think of anything. Before the computer do you think people said, "you know, there's a huge void here to be filled"? No, they didn't. There are lots of ideas in the works and society will continue to evolve.

this.

watch dazed and confused

the scene where the red headed chick is talking about how the 60's rocked and the 70's were terrible and went on to say how amazing the 80's could be.

of course there was some redheaded chick saying the same thing 10 years later in 89 about how the 70's rocked and the 80's sucked.

it's easier to look back on things and see them as better than they really were than it is to look around and see the potential of the present.

those people that look around are the black sabbath's, the van halen's, and the nirvana's... the people that come up with something new and original and change whats slowly become overexposed.

just my two cents
Quote by MH400

Music seems to be getting repetitive. Notice how with the majority of bands, you feel like you've heard it all before?

Business. The World is full of them. It's almost impossible to think of an original concept. And then its almost impossible to get it off the ground due to competition, saturation of regulations etc etc.

Anyone agree?

I honestly don't care if you flame my opinion. I wish I was born 40 years ago, tbh.

The trope of cultural decline is as old as Ancient Greece. No, seriously. I wish I could find this one quotation I read once, and it was bitching about many of the same things you are. And it was a few thousand years old.

Also, you really have a very narrow understanding of contemporary art if you think it's all abstract expressionism (which, as a movement, is dead, and has been for about fifty years, although there are still a few painters who paint in that style). I don't even really follow art at all, and I know that.
You are now aware that it took 100 years to get from 1900 to 2000.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Holy Katana
The trope of cultural decline is as old as Ancient Greece. No, seriously. I wish I could find this one quotation I read once, and it was bitching about many of the same things you are. And it was a few thousand years old.

I think you mean this one:

Quote by Socrates
Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.

Not exactly about the decline of society, but in a similar vein.
there are still a lot things left to do/invent or something, did we really think video games would come this far, or could we even guess in the 60's that The Beatles would revolutionize the music industry?
Gear:
Boss MD-2
Fake Gibson Les Paul
Washburn BD12R
Kawasaki Acoustic

Quote by Lots O' FX
digoutyerarse: none dig deeper

I"M SO RANDUMZ LOL
Quote by StewieSwan
I think you mean this one:

Not exactly about the decline of society, but in a similar vein.

Nah, it wasn't Socrates; I'd remember who it was by if it was him.

This quote is bugging me. I think I remember the forum where I saw it, so I, being the way I am, will go there and scour the archives until I find it.

I really wish there was an easier way to find things. Search engines are nice, but only if you aren't vague. I tried Googling "ancient greece cultural decline quotes" and nothing of the sort came up. I don't think it's all that famous, which makes things problematic.
I think the world was pretty much always full of crap. The "good old days" are only so good because nobody remembers the boring or the shitty parts.

EDIT: But then again every year we have a lot more people making the crappy art/music/whatever, so I'm gonna agree with the OP.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Mar 20, 2011,
You know, those classics? Second to none of them were in the top 10 on the charts. Actually, the chart-toppers were so bad that any radio channel playing classics with respect for themselves would never poke any of them with a ****ing stick! A lot of the pop songs today will probably be forgotten in perhaps only 5 or 10 years.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by sfaune92
You know, those classics? Second to none of them were in the top 10 on the charts. Actually, the chart-toppers were so bad that any radio channel playing classics with respect for themselves would never poke any of them with a ****ing stick! A lot of the pop songs today will probably be forgotten in perhaps only 5 or 10 years.

Well, Zeppelin actually had a few hits in the top ten, surprisingly enough, but I agree with your general assessment.
Quote by Holy Katana
Well, Zeppelin actually had a few hits in the top ten, surprisingly enough, but I agree with your general assessment.

yeah but led zeppelin blows so it holds true to his theory.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by MH400

Anyone agree?

I was born almost 45 years ago and I see it in a completely different way.
Stuff does change, just not usualy so quickly that we immediately notice it.
Music, art, all of this is inspired by whatever came before it, so it naturaly has similarities to earlier pieces, but over greater amounts of time it evolves into things that are much different. Occasionaly it revisits old influences via 'retro' and they get put in the mix once again, but that influence may react differently with the other influences that didn't exist the first time around, taking art or music down a different evolutionary direction.

It's all good. When I was a kid, we had bands like Led Zeppelin, who had taken the influence of the blues and turned it into something different, something bigger and badder with huge PA systems, thunderous drums and long guitar solos, today we have bands that have taken Led Zeppelin's approach and again, turned it into something different.
A band like Rage Against the Machine for instance could never have developed back when I was a kid, it took a few decades worth of influence for them to be able to exist.
Nope, you're just getting older. And crankier by the looks of it.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Nope, you're just getting older. And crankier by the looks of it.

I turned 19 last month. I feel ancient.
RIP Tom Searle.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Hell no, it's just made everything more creative.

Modern music is brilliant, I listen to so many brilliant bands from the 21st century and i'd say that they're easily better and more creative than a lot of 80's bands that I also love. Just because things get harder to do doesn't make it worse, it just means that people have to be more creative = good.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
yeah but led zeppelin blows so it holds true to his theory.

While I think they're highly overrated, I wouldn't go so far as to say they suck. Same goes with Nirvana. The fact that they're both overrated is pretty much a consequence of their extreme fame.
Page 1 of 2