Just saw this - This dude starts of with just guitar and then kicks in a bass sound on the same guitar and it sounds great, just like a real bass. They are called Well Hung Heart, never heard of them before, but the guitar player is actually the bass player from a British Band called The Hoax - who are awesome and they posted this video on their facebook page...

Check out the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvs_1wEcMOI

Really full band sound from just him and a drummer, he also has a Hammond type sound at one point all from one guitar.

I figured it would be great to be able to do this for cover shows when the money and space is limited and you can keep band line up to a minimum, maybe just me and a drummer. We could both fit in one car - how cool would that be.

So question #1 how did he get the low end so clean and separated?

and #2 It got me thinking other than the obvious White Stripes / Black Keys what other bands do this convincingly with just one guitar handling all the instrumentation?
Last edited by guitarfan1000 at Mar 20, 2011,
i didnt watch the video, but a pitch shifter dropped an octave gets you the bass sound. from there tweak the eq til it sounds clear and you should be solid.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
EDIT: Wow nevermind I just got to the part you were talking about.

I agree a pitch shifter is most likely. As for keeping it clean, he could have two outputs from the pitch shifter- one adding fuzz to the high guitar part and the other output processing the clean bass signal.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Mar 20, 2011,
Blue Box? Whammy Pedal?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Not a cheap solution by any means but Ive been looking at the Roland GR55 guitar synth. Im sure with that you can have a guitar sound on the higher strings and a bass sound on the lower strings which can be digitally dropped an octave. Could sound terrible though. And cost too much. And be too complicated. Not really White Stripes esque but the idea is quite interesting;

Demonstrated here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip6kBm1juZs
And this is another system but the same idea; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbFIpRNnqSI (skip to 2:50)

But yeah I imagine just stomping on a pitch shifter or an octave pedal would do the trick.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Wow that morpheus drop tune is pretty awesome it seems, yes beats the hell out of the boss.
I am still wondering about isolating the bass notes though so the whole chord isn't octaved - how would you do that. Do any pedals have some sort of filter?
Yeah that's just a pitch shifter/octave generator. As for getting it to only down-tune a few strings, that's hard because while you can get a pedal to only down-tune past a certain note of course the same note can be played on different places on different strings. So, you can't get a pedal that down-tunes the 6th string including playing at the 5th fret (A) but not the 5th string open (A). To get actual string-by-string shifting you need a piezo bridge and compatable software, usually built in to the guitar. Line 6 Variax guitars have this stuff built in.
To get actual string-by-string shifting you need a piezo bridge and compatable software, usually built in to the guitar. Line 6 Variax guitars have this stuff built in.

Or a Boss GK3 pickup thingy with a compatible guitar synth
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
The guitar synth things seem too complicated, my experience with them is they are very sensitive in a bad way.
Jack White (White Stripes) uses a digitech whammy
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
All things aside thanks for posting this video.... totally digging well hung heart now. Very cool and original sound. I am assuming this band recently formed. There is very little info on the net about the and their website is kind of hard to navigate. I see that they use the be fugiminx. Anyhow I am going to be keeping my eye on this band. I see things happening for them.
Schecter Black Cherry HELLRAISER!

“Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.”
EHX POG. If you like that sort of bass/guitar tone, check out The Kills. Jaime Hince, their guitarist, relies heavily on one.
@RG Just checked out the Kills like it a lot and a really cool sound!!! @Agent5556 No Problems yes I am digging it too.