Im looking to build a brian may treble booster as a first project but don't want to use PCB - could i copy the PCB layout onto veroboard? If so how do i do this?

Do i make sure the components that are connected by copper strips on the PCB layout, are connected by either the copper strips or wires, on the veroboard? and then cut out all the copper inbetween, to match the PCB?

Thanks
EQ’ing your guitars for a nasty, chuggy, badass recording tone that will take the face off a ten-ton badger
Quote by dannyninjaBC
Im looking to build a brian may treble booster as a first project but don't want to use PCB - could i copy the PCB layout onto veroboard? If so how do i do this?

Do i make sure the components that are connected by copper strips on the PCB layout, are connected by either the copper strips or wires, on the veroboard? and then cut out all the copper inbetween, to match the PCB?

Thanks

You can make your own circuit boards if you have access to copper coated blanks. Here's a good tutorial: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420953
@matt154
Yeah i was looking at doing that but its kind of hard of me to source all the stuff - only 17 haha and my dad isn't known for his many tools :') i suppose it's doable if i convince my schools DT department to let me use the machines and stuff.
I just wanted to know if i could, since its a fairly simple build and etching my own PCB is a big hassle for such simplicity - it would probably cost more then the rest of the pedal put together lmao
EQ’ing your guitars for a nasty, chuggy, badass recording tone that will take the face off a ten-ton badger
Quote by dannyninjaBC
@matt154
Yeah i was looking at doing that but its kind of hard of me to source all the stuff - only 17 haha and my dad isn't known for his many tools :') i suppose it's doable if i convince my schools DT department to let me use the machines and stuff.
I just wanted to know if i could, since its a fairly simple build and etching my own PCB is a big hassle for such simplicity - it would probably cost more then the rest of the pedal put together lmao

No probs. It's possible to do it on a veroboard, but a bit of a hassle. It's easier to do on the type without the strips. All you do it lay down the components and connect the holes and solder pads up where the tracks are in the plan. Kinda like joining the dots. If you can only get the strip type which has rows of holes connected, you'll have to trace all of the connections and place the components so that they don't cause unwanted shorts.

Edit: probably could have explained that better but i hope you get the idea.
Last edited by matt154 at Mar 20, 2011,
Ahh okay, and il try and source some of the other type of board (breadboard isnt it?) but yeah that cleared it up haha,
Thanks a lot:p
Quote by dannyninjaBC
Ahh okay, and il try and source some of the other type of board (breadboard isnt it?) but yeah that cleared it up haha,
Thanks a lot:p

Nah, a breadboard is a big chunky thing designed for prototyping and such. The one i'm talking about is just a variety of stripboard or veroboard. Most places i've been to carry both types so it shouldn't be that hard to find. It just has a single solder pad per hole rather than a strip or row of connected holes.
If you can't get any of that then just scratch out the connecting copper on the strip type.
Last edited by matt154 at Mar 20, 2011,
Ahh i see, so many names are thrown round the interwebs its like 0_o and alright il go for a wander down the maplin esque stores haha,
thanx for the help
I've converted vero layouts to PCB layouts. Its a pain in the ass.
I never really liked veroboard myself.
Which booster are you building. There are several "Brian May" treble boosters out there.
Here is a hand sketched one for veroboard. Pay VERY close attention when reading it.

http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/BrianMayboost.jpg
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 20, 2011,
yehhh i came across that one, but i was gonna convert this to veroboard

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=section&id=4&Itemid=200

i dont think itd b incredibly difficult thou (its not like i hav much to do these days xD) - all i wud do is match the layout exactly, and cut the copper where theirs no connection on the pcb, if u know what i mean
I'll do the GGG booster to perfboard for you if you want. It's a small circuit. You should actually grab yourself a copy of DIY Layout Creator and give it a go yourself. It's a good one to start out on.

Edit:
Here you go. Did this perf layout really quick. Just put the components through the holes and bend the legs to form the traces. You will have to add wire to make the long ground trace as the legs of the components probably aren't long enough.

Component names are the same as GGG's so you can use their BOM.
Attachments:
Brian May Treble Booster.png
Last edited by Griffin Effects at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by dannyninjaBC
yehhh i came across that one, but i was gonna convert this to veroboard

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=section&id=4&Itemid=200

i dont think itd b incredibly difficult thou (its not like i hav much to do these days xD) - all i wud do is match the layout exactly, and cut the copper where theirs no connection on the pcb, if u know what i mean

Link is bad. For me anyway.

You should consider the one I posted. Its got a real sweet sound. I've considering converting the Vero layout to PCB

Although I'm currently using a design that uses OC44s. I thinks its called the Austin Treble Booster or something.
wow thanks for the help guys, especially griffin effects for doin that veroboard layout i shall definately consider all these options, tried drawing out a veroboard layout myself and kinda confused myself but yeh xD il let keep yas updated haha:P im excited as its my first home built pedal xD
@griffin effects, on ur perfboard layout where do the grounds go? i know on the layout diagram for pcb on GGG, two of the ground go to the dc jack and the switch so where do the extra two on ur diagram go? thanks

edit:
sorry i havent done electronics in ageees xD

edit edit:
where do i attach it to the switch? thanx xD
Last edited by dannyninjaBC at Mar 22, 2011,
The layout you want to use is based on the circuit I posted a link to.
The General Guitar Gadgets version has 1 component value change, added a boost level pot The one I posted the output signal is maxed out, (sounds better that way IMO) and some added components (For Polarity protection).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by dannyninjaBC
@griffin effects, on ur perfboard layout where do the grounds go? i know on the layout diagram for pcb on GGG, two of the ground go to the dc jack and the switch so where do the extra two on ur diagram go? thanks

edit:
sorry i havent done electronics in ageees xD

edit edit:
where do i attach it to the switch? thanx xD

Grounds go to: DC jack, Input jack sleeve, Output jack sleeve, bypass switch (for the LED ground).

Go to the GGG page for the Brian May Treble Booster and click on the "Brian May Treble Booster Layout" link. It shows how to wire up everything.
ohhhh okay, its just on the diagram layout the grounds for the output and input jacks arent connected to the circuit board, but to each other, but yeh okay thanks - will i still ground the the two jacks together or is their no point?
Quote by dannyninjaBC
ohhhh okay, its just on the diagram layout the grounds for the output and input jacks arent connected to the circuit board, but to each other, but yeh okay thanks - will i still ground the the two jacks together or is their no point?

The input and output jacks are grounded to the board through the DC jack in that diagram. Perfectly fine that way.

Here is the other way: 3pdt wiring
oh i see now, thanks a lot im going to merge your stripboard with that, sorted

edit:
could i swap the r6 resistor for a 3.7k since im using a superbright blue LED? or does the resistor not effect that? such a noob xD
Last edited by dannyninjaBC at Mar 22, 2011,