Hey hey,

Never recorded scream vocals befor, so I've come to you lovely people for help.

Basically;

How should I record them
What mic (condenser/dynamic)
Pop shield/no pop shield
And as many useful mixing tips you folks have for scream

Cheers in advance
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
I use a Shure SM58 with a pop filter for growls / other harsh vocals.

Make sure you have GOOD preamps though, this is very important.

Also, for mixing etc.

Add some light compression and reverb. delay if a section of a song calls for it.

Something I like to do to thicken up vocals is to record a second vocal track, but whispering instead of growling / screaming. Then just get the volume balance right and it should sound great: nice and thick.

This works with all vocals, not just growls / screams.

I prefer to record sitting down, as I can sustain growls for much longer this way. Also, a pop filter isn't a must, but its definitely handy. Listen to the Amon Amarth cover in my sig - vocals recorded with a shure sm58 without a pop filter, one track of growls one track using the whisper technique I described above.
Last edited by Kämpfer at Mar 20, 2011,
I'l try that whispering thing. I tend to do stuff like that at practice/gigs when our screamers doing his thing, I whisper underneath at times and it sounds cool. Dunno why I've never thought to record like that haha
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
A Shure SM7B would be my first choice if you could get one (needs a decent preamp though), otherwise a small diaphragm dynamic slightly off axis with a pop filter would do fine. Do the rasping/whispered overdubs with a large diaphragm condenser though perhaps.
Small amount of compression on the way in, high and low pass filters in the mix, other EQ to taste.

You want your vox to be powerful and gritty, not pristine.
I've got 57s, 58s and 'elvis' mics available. May experiment
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Pop filters are vary from singer to singer....some you don't need at all, some you can get by without, some you need. I always have one just incase when I record my friends.