Hey UG,

So my quest for my first "real" amp continues. I've just turned down a PEAVEY 5150 for the lack of a clean clean channel since running a two amp setup right now is really impractical.

I want the amp to be able to do 2 things mainly. Heavy heavy thick guitars and a nice clean tone.

What I want ideally is a combination of vintage and modern sounds. Like if The Stooges or the Master Of Reality Album had sex with Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water record.

I don't know if its the amp but on those older records the distortion is way more filthy/grainy/deep and I want some of that in my sound but I also want the amp to handle a drop-d guitar put through an octave down setting on a Whammy pedal.

I play in a rap metal band, I will be using this amp for gigs, my budget is around 1000USD. I live in Europe, Lithuania.

A Marshall MA50C 112 is right in my budget NEW, not even used. You figure I can get the sound I want from that?
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
I've got a Bugera 6262-212. Many people say that it sounds a lot like a 6505 or a 5150, but with a good clean channel. If you liked the 5150 otherwise, then I can recommend the 6262, as I think the clean channel is very good and versatile. Can do pristine clean or slight break, and can be EQ'd to either tight snapping or sterile Jazzness.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
How about a Laney ? Like a Laney LC50, or a Peavey Valve King? Those seem pretty available where I live.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
Valvekings have surprisingly nice cleans, especially if you put a new speaker in. You might have trouble getting a really thick and dirty tone out of it without an overdrive pedal to boost it and tighten things up a bit. However, with your budget I think you could do much better than a Valveking (especially if you can go used).
Quote by Helicopters!
Valvekings have surprisingly nice cleans, especially if you put a new speaker in. You might have trouble getting a really thick and dirty tone out of it without an overdrive pedal to boost it and tighten things up a bit. However, with your budget I think you could do much better than a Valveking (especially if you can go used).

What would you recommend better than the Valve King ?
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
if you need to get the amp now then a Bugera 6262 or 333XL is your best bet. although the 6262 is a copy of the 5150 so you might not like it.

if i was you tho i would save and then find a used 2 Channel Dual Rectifier, its the exact sound you're describing. if you like Limb Bizkits gain tone, then that amp is it completely. i literally just bought one off ebay for £990 without shipping which is over $1000 but not that much, the extra cash would be worth it.

you would need a cab tho as well, any decent 2x12 with V30 speakers in it will do tho
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
the valveking is actually a pretty versatile amp imo. it just need tweaking, like better speakers, maybe better tubes, and a few simple mods (dummy jack for the input. Fx loop connection)

try it with an OD and see what you think, i once tried the head side by side with a 6534, and the 6534 killed it, but it was also alot mor expensive
Quote by shredftw
if you need to get the amp now then a Bugera 6262 or 333XL is your best bet. although the 6262 is a copy of the 5150 so you might not like it.

if i was you tho i would save and then find a used 2 Channel Dual Rectifier, its the exact sound you're describing. if you like Limb Bizkits gain tone, then that amp is it completely. i literally just bought one off ebay for £990 without shipping which is over $1000 but not that much, the extra cash would be worth it.

you would need a cab tho as well, any decent 2x12 with V30 speakers in it will do tho

Where I live though, a USED dual recto is almost twice my budget so that's out of question in a way.
Also a combo would be best. I once had to transport a half-stack in my Opel Vectra and the cab 4x12 wouldn't even fit in the trunk. Although you could argue that a 2x12 with a head is actually more portable than a combo i guess.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
Last edited by Dizzy-D at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by Dizzy-D
I don't know if its the amp but on those older records the distortion is way more filthy/grainy/deep and I want some of that in my sound but I also want the amp to handle a drop-d guitar put through an octave down setting on a Whammy pedal.

Just like to point out that this is 36.7 hz, around one tone lower than a bass' low E. Probably not going to sound too good through a guitar speaker that is only rated to 60-80 hz.
Sounds just fine on everything I've played through. Maybe it's because I use it in harmony mode so it's like a 50/50 blend of the regular note and the down shifted note .
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
If you want good cleans and the the rectifiers grit the best bet hands down is a mesa rectoverb, no rectifiers cleans really come close to it. And of course you have the exact same gain as a dual or triple rec.
The series 1 imo sounds better than series 2s and Ive been told there more desirable.

Someone suggested a 2 ch. dual thats not a bad suggestion but the 2 ch duals cleans are worse than a 3 ch. recto.
Really the only recto with a good clean tone and great lead ch. in the budget is a rectoverb.
EDIT- I seen the post about rectos being really pricey, idk still maybe check on a rectoverb they come in 1x12 combos too.
Sorry I wasnt much help.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Sounds like you want a Dual Recto. For your budget a Carvin MTS 3200 or a Bugera 333XL would do great

That bugera would be my pick, just swap the tubes and handle with care...
WTLTL 2011
A Peavey XXX/JSX would be a lot heavier than a Valveking and would have a comparable clean.
Try the Jet City JCA50 or JCA100. The Marshall MA is pretty thin-sounding.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Mark G
That bugera would be my pick, just swap the tubes and handle with care...

Is it like way fragile? Wouldn't really want that considering the places I play + transportation.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
I think he means just handle with care because you can break tubes being rough with them, I have the 333xl myself, and it's fine for everything you described.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I can't honestly say I've played one, but I've heard great things about the Jet City gear. Sounds like a lot of amp for the money.
Maybe get a Ceriatone clone of something you want? Their stuff is fantastic, and far superior to Bugera etc.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Dizzy-D
Is it like way fragile? Wouldn't really want that considering the places I play + transportation.

Not way fragile, but not exactly a tank either. A lot of plastic used in construction to cut down costs. Sounds great, pretty close to the real thing but not the same build quality.
WTLTL 2011