i've been looking around for a new amp a long time now and just get many questions reading nearly every thread regarding this subject.

at the moment i play at home only, nobody near me plays my style just classic rock strange enough.
i play though a marshall AVT150X, first decent amp, sounds good untill halfway up with master volume. it has a tube in the preamp, doesn't make it sounds good at hell of a lot but it does react better to EQ'ing and gain adding. note that i occasionally play it halfway up however i do(mostly) use earplugs then. normally i play with about 1/4 th volume.

now obviously i've been looking at going tube. but people told me that, for home playing, a marshall class 5 was already a bit too loud when turned up completely and that a vox nighttrain, in the name of Nt-15, was overkill. i asked the bugera militia if the V22 is good for home playing and they said it was fine.
i hope you now understand my confusion hehe .

so what do you guys think is the equivelant(thats the word right?) for my marshall in terms of tube amps. when turned up halfway.
ps. i know a tube amp is not louder with lower wattage but that the harmonics it produces and blahdieblah technical stuff.

if you have something usefull to mention please do not hesitate!
i thank you in advance!
Rick
Last edited by wolvenrick at Mar 20, 2011,
I actually don't see the point in turning an amp up all the way. You can get a good sound at lower volumes with pretty much every amp (except for a few ones of course), turning it all up is the complete overkill.

I'd suggest an Engl gigmaster, it can handle all kinds of volume and sounds great all the time.
Most 50 watt all tube amps will be just as loud (if not louder) as your AVT150

Check out the egnator tweaker and rebel, they are 15-20 watts

not sure why the class 5 and nighttrain would be overkill and the v22 is not
i play pretty much everything between U2 to chili peppers to sabbath, metallica, iron maiden. although most i play is guns n' roses, thin lizzy-style (hard) rock.
i had a budget in mind of max 700-800 euros.

also i don't really ask for amp suggestions because i do plan to play before buying but just to make clear what is and what is not comparable with my current amp when i look for tube amps. i do know a mesa triple rectifier is way louder than my current amp but more narrow examples.
some people also told me that half the wattage of a solid state or valvestate amp in a tube is the same. so that a 75 watt tueb would be around the same volume as a 150watt.
the point is that im confused and dont know what to hold on to when looking around. if you understand what i mean.
Quote by mcamp1230
Most 50 watt all tube amps will be just as loud (if not louder) as your AVT150
Check out the egnator tweaker and rebel, they are 15-20 watts

not sure why the class 5 and nighttrain would be overkill and the v22 is not

that fat part was what i was looking for. if some other people could confirm that too,just to be extra sure.
then thanks alot!!
i've been checking the egnater's too just about everything too be honest
was what i thought when they told me that. i dont say i think it's overkill but i've been told by people.
note that those three amps are not in the same store in the netherlands so i have to travels to three stores to compare and that's just plain shit to do. i dont want to waste my money on 1,70 euro for 1 litre of gas by driving around the whole country. im also just a student!=P
Last edited by wolvenrick at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by wolvenrick
i play pretty much everything between U2 to chili peppers to sabbath, metallica, iron maiden. although most i play is guns n' roses, thin lizzy-style (hard) rock.
i had a budget in mind of max 700-800 euros.

also i don't really ask for amp suggestions because i do plan to play before buying but just to make clear what is and what is not comparable with my current amp when i look for tube amps. i do know a mesa triple rectifier is way louder than my current amp but more narrow examples.
some people also told me that half the wattage of a solid state or valvestate amp in a tube is the same. so that a 75 watt tueb would be around the same volume as a 150watt.
the point is that im confused and dont know what to hold on to when looking around. if you understand what i mean.

More like 50 tube watts = 150 solid state watts
When shopping just look fo the best tone!, dont get caught up in things like amps with 4 channles or an array of knobs, or on board effects.
Its all about getting a great sound, not a cool sound if you know what I mean...
Quote by mcamp1230
When shopping just look fo the best tone!, dont get caught up in things like amps with 4 channles or an array of knobs, or on board effects.
Its all about getting a great sound, not a cool sound if you know what I mean...

i know, thing i actually need is a clean channel an OD channel to footswitch effects are easily pedalled when needed.
not that i've just started playing i'm around 18 now and started playing guitar when 10. i played electric guitar now since 15-16.