So I've been dog sitting all week and then on top of that my friend just bought a new puppy. Anyways I'm wondering why people still have a dog's tail docked. I can understand having a hunting dog's tail clipped because it could get cut up in brush and stuff but why do you need to get like a rottweiller's tail docked? They used to be work dogs but very few countries actually use dogs like that for work anymore.

Also how much money per month is it to own a puppy? I know it can be just as expensive as a child but does anyone know like how much?
Tail bobbing is cruel and should be illegal unless it is for medical reasons, like cat de-clawing. EDIT: Apparently it is already illegal for cosmetic purposes in Israel.

Anyway, owning a puppy is quiet easy on the purse actually. It's cheaper than a cat for example, but requires more work from you as an owner. There's only the costs of vets (shots, de-worming and neutering, which should cost around 150$ or so in one time fees), food (big bags come at around 50$ here), which you can buy once a month or even less, depending on your dog, and accessories (collar etc.).
Last edited by jimmyled at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by Dirge Humani
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docking_%28dog%29

Seriously. Every single one of your questions can be answered by a simple google or wikipedia search.

Tail docking occurs in one of two ways. The first involves constricting the blood supply to the tail with a rubber ligature for a few days until the tail falls off. The second involves the severance of the tail with surgical scissors or a scalpel.[2] The tail is amputated at the dock.

The fuck...?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
The fuck...?

That is exactly what doctors do to remove an umbilical cord...
Obviously Fassa.
I want one of these!

Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by SlipknotRule93
I want one of these!

There you have it:The average slipknot fan...
Quote by Johnneeey

Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Rock In Rio
That is exactly what doctors do to remove an umbilical cord...

They also do it to goat's bollocks.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
they mostly clip off dog'S tails because at some breeds it tends to break often.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by whalepudding
They also do it to goat's bollocks.

Oh...you said goat`s bollocks . Someone call 911, it's an emergency
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's not what your mother said.

That's right. You aint the only one working with cows.

DOUBLE MOM JOKE!

Quote by Johnneeey

Quote by dhruvrajvanshi
I ****ing love you,
SlipknotRule93.

Why thank you
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
I have a puppy, now a dog, the cost in food and de-flea treatment and vets bills is probably about £50-60 a month. Plus as a puppy you'll have to take them to dog training classes which is another £50 a month.

Add on top of that doggie daycare if you are leaving it alone for more than 7 hours, at £10 a day, and boarding fees if you go away overnight which is £15 per night.

It's not cheap. Plus they need walking about an hour a day, every day, and you will have to train them.
Quote by SlipknotRule93
Why thank you

that picture made my day good sir...
And it was a cheap and easy way to get sigged
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
Also how much money per month is it to own a puppy? I know it can be just as expensive as a child but does anyone know like how much?

Don't get a puppy TS, you don't know what you're doing
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I have a puppy, now a dog, the cost in food and de-flea treatment and vets bills is probably about £50-60 a month. Plus as a puppy you'll have to take them to dog training classes which is another £50 a month.

You can train it yourself you know...
Quote by blake1221
You can train it yourself you know...

How though? Don't you have to hit it a few times or something to assert your dominance as the alpha male, especially with big dogs right? Dogs are pack animals like wolves so it would assume it is the dominant one unless there is competitiion or something right?

And just to add cuteness to this thread:

Also I used to know a guy who used to order german shepherds from Germany and he had like 12......I don't know how he trained them but he learned all of these german commands and they became the most obedient dogs I've ever seen.
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
How though? Don't you have to hit it a few times or something to assert your dominance as the alpha male, especially with big dogs right? Dogs are pack animals like wolves so it would assume it is the dominant one unless there is competitiion or something right?

yeah, you just have to assert yourself as being in charge. its like having a kid. you have to be consistent. if you tell your dog no, make sure it stops whatever its doing. if you tell him to come, make sure he comes to you. you cant let the dog just do whatever it wants.

if he growls at you, you need to immediately stop that kind of behavior. with my dog, i would just grab him and hold him on the ground when he would growl at me. he would kick and wiggle for a bit, but eventually he'd stop and become submissive. with bigger dogs, youll need to establish that youre the alpha male while they are a puppy, and then find other methods of continuing to assert your dominance as they grow larger. you dont have to hit the dog in a manner that inflicts pain. that often leads to your dog becoming overly aggressive and mean. you just want to assert that you are the dominate leader, not hurt the dog.

its really not hard at all to train a dog. you just have to assert that you are the alpha in the pack, dont ever take any crap from your dog, and keep consistent standards of what behavior you want from them.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
yeah, you just have to assert yourself as being in charge. its like having a kid. you have to be consistent. if you tell your dog no, make sure it stops whatever its doing. if you tell him to come, make sure he comes to you. you cant let the dog just do whatever it wants.

if he growls at you, you need to immediately stop that kind of behavior. with my dog, i would just grab him and hold him on the ground when he would growl at me. he would kick and wiggle for a bit, but eventually he'd stop and become submissive. with bigger dogs, youll need to establish that youre the alpha male while they are a puppy, and then find other methods of continuing to assert your dominance as they grow larger.

its really not hard at all to train a dog. you just have to assert that you are the alpha in the pack, dont ever take any crap from your dog, and keep consistent standards of what behavior you want from them.

I remember when my uncles hunting dog was a puppy he would always tap it on the nose when it acted up. Would that work for a large dog as well or would you need to do something a bit more "harsh" to it? As it gets larger the punishments need to be more severe right?
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing

And just to add cuteness to this thread:

Also I used to know a guy who used to order german shepherds from Germany and he had like 12......I don't know how he trained them but he learned all of these german commands and they became the most obedient dogs I've ever seen.

I've owned dogs all my life and I've never hit them to assert my dominance, (I'd maybe occasionally tap on the nose or pinning them if they're playing up, but sometimes they'll play wrestle with you anyway) if you want a dog to turn on you then hitting them is a good way to start, but if you actually want to train your dog, don't.
Last edited by Rocking-Rob at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
I remember when my uncles hunting dog was a puppy he would always tap it on the nose when it acted up. Would that work for a large dog as well or would you need to do something a bit more "harsh" to it? As it gets larger the punishments need to be more severe right?

no, not at all. as long as you establish that you are the alpha dog early on, they really dont forget that. they will challenge your authority from time to time, but you just need to quell that behavior in a consistent manner. even as a larger dog, a simple bop on the head should be sufficient if its coming from an alpha dog. you dont ever want to/need to hit your dog in a heavy handed manner.

a lot of times, just yelling at your dog, and chasing it away is enough to let it know that their behavior isnt acceptable.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
no, not at all. as long as you establish that you are the alpha dog early on, they really dont forget that. they will challenge your authority from time to time, but you just need to quell that behavior in a consistent manner. even as a larger dog, a simple bop on the head should be sufficient if its coming from an alpha dog. you dont ever want to/need to hit your dog in a heavy handed manner.

a lot of times, just yelling at your dog, and chasing it away is enough to let it know that their behavior isnt acceptable.

So a tap on the nose and pinning it down is all you need to assert your dominance? And like that other guy said, would it really turn on you if you hit it when it acts up?

I'm thinking about getting a puppy because I've started to like dogs a lot since this last week because I've had one living with me.
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
So a tap on the nose and pinning it down is all you need to assert your dominance? And like that other guy said, would it really turn on you if you hit it when it acts up?

I'm thinking about getting a puppy because I've started to like dogs a lot since this last week because I've had one living with me.

asserting your dominance isnt all about physical punishment. its about being the alpha dog. you just have to demand certain behaviors from your dog. when its doing something you dont want, tell it no and make sure it obeys your commands.

it wouldnt hurt to read up on dog training and do some research about different breeds youre interested in to try to find a breed with behavior that is synonymous with that you are looking for. for the most part, its just common sense. you dont want to act like an orge and not let your dog play and have fun, but you need to understand where playing turns to challenging your authority or 'being naughty' and where to draw the line. as long as you love and care for the dog, youll get the hang of it.

i wouldnt recommend getting a dog on a whim though. they really are a lot of work. youve got to train them, feed them, bath them, walk them, play with them, clean up after them when they puke on the floor, dog proof your house, put up with their antics, etc. dont get me wrong, i love having my dog, but in a lot of ways, having a dog (especially a puppy) is like having a little kid to take care of.

and yes, abusing your dog is a good way to get it to become aggressive.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Mar 20, 2011,
I just re-read this thread. Please don't get a dog. Hitting an animal is never OK under any circumstances. You would be an atrocious dog-owner and I really don't think you know what you're doing.

Stay away from animals until you grow up and understand them a bit better.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Plus as a puppy you'll have to take them to dog training classes which is another £50 a month.

only if you suck at raising things >_>

No but seriously, depending on the breed, raising dogs is very easy. Be sure to spend a lot of time with them as puppies so that they identify with you as family, but always be sure to assert your dominence when the dog does something wrong. When the dog really messes up, like runs over the street or something, give him a slap on the behind so that he knows he really fucked up. Not hard at all, really

Over hear in Germany having dogs is relatively cheap. You have to pay dog tax, but it's only like 8 bucks a year or something.
You can even buy doggie health insurance which means you pay about 15 bucks a month and never have to worry about horrendous vet bills when your dog hurts himself.

EDIT: ^ If you give a decently sized dog a slap on the haunch, he hardly feels it and it hurts your hand a lot more because of the huge amount of muscles on it. It's more about the act of dominance than dealing pain.

But anyone who beats their dog is doing it completely wrong. You don't hit dogs to hurt them, never ever ever.

EDIT: if you have a really cuddly dog, the perfect way of punishing it is just ignoring it for about an hour. Don't pet it when he comes to you, don't give him treats, don't talk to him. After an hour he'll be sitting quietly in a corner somewhere, acknowledging his submissance. Then you can go and cuddle again :3
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Mar 21, 2011,
I used to know a guy who would beat his rottweiler with a broomstick whenever it ran out of the yard or went after cats...So would this be animal abuse? He never looked deeply hurt by it though. I always thought you had to train big dogs like that.
Quote by IdkWhatImDoing
I used to know a guy who would beat his rottweiler with a broomstick whenever it ran out of the yard or went after cats...So would this be animal abuse? He never looked deeply hurt by it though. I always thought you had to train big dogs like that.

No, you absolutely don't. Big dogs are absolute softies, and you should treat them as such.

What you witnessed was definitely animal abuse.