Hello all,

I'm an absolute newcomer, and went looking through the forums, There's so many posts, it's hard to know where to start. I've just gotten my first electric guitar, and know nothing about amps. I'm not really sure where to start. So far, i've found all sorts of random things, the only thing I saw in my price range was a pathfinder 10, But I think it was a bass model. (Are there amps specifically for bass guitar? I really don't know what I should be looking for)

I've got a budget of about 100 dollars for a practice amp.

I like Metal, Iron Maiden, The Sword, Megadeth...
and Classic rock, Bob Seger, T-rex, Doors...

I'm not sure where to buy used here in Kyoto Japan, so, I'm looking for something new.

I'm planning on playing at home, no drummer or vocalist, just me. I've got no experience with a fretted guitar (I've been playing the Shamisen, which is like a banjo, 3 strings and fret less) I won't need to go too loud - as I live in an apartment building.

My current gear is a Fender Squire Strat, the midi-guitar version designed for rockband 3, It only has one pickup and no tone control. I'm sure that it's the last thing a gearhead would want, but it's a start - when I get to the point where I can actually play, i'll look into upgrading - so I think it's gonna take me quite awhile to outgrow a pretty basic amp.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks very much for answering.
Hello there

I would look into a Peavey Vypyr 15. Haven't played one myself, but the general consensus around here on UG is that the Vypyr series are good metal practice amps.
Pretty much agree with previous post. Avoid tube amps, and if you want a tube amp as a practise amp, you will have to pay a lot.

The Line 6 models are pretty decent. Has all the sounds and effects one might want as a beginner.
Roland 15x cubes or cube micro cube. I have the 20x which is pretty powerful, if you're looking for a bit more. but it's more expensive, obviously
Quote by Matthiasberndt
Pretty much agree with previous post. Avoid tube amps, and if you want a tube amp as a practise amp, you will have to pay a lot.

The Line 6 models are pretty decent. Has all the sounds and effects one might want as a beginner.

Nope, u can get a all tube 6 watt VHT special 6 for about $200
there are other low watt tube amps in this price range too
Although most will not pull off a good metal tone though, even with a overdrive or distortion in front of the amp, but they nail classic rock tones.
Think the blackstar ht-1 and 5 get decent metal tones.
Peavey Vypyr and Roland Cubes are both good practise amp options. Just make sure you get at least a 1x12" speaker, and you'll be fine.
WTLTL 2011
Thank you all very much, now I have some direction. I'll see what I can find, I think I remember seeing Roland Cubes at Yodobashi. There's another place in the area that I know of which specializes in electric guitars, so I'll see what they have to offer.
same as above really, roland cubes sound pretty decent, aswell as the vypyr which is a pretty decent moddeling amp, great for begginers as it has plenty of *decent* sounding effects built in so you can get alot of variation.. avoid marshall MG series like the plague, i hadnt tried one until a week ago and finally understand the hate that it gets on this forum :p

oh and welcome
Vypyr 15 is the way to go. Its versatile since you said your a complete beginner your style is probably going to change a lot. The vypyr has great clean amp models and metal amp models.
In addition to the Peavey and Roland, if you also happen to see a Randall or Marshall amp in your price range give them a try. They both have good tones for metal. Just get something you like and don't let anyone disparage you for having the wrong brand or model of amp. The sound you hear is far more important than the name on the front of the amp.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)