I am wondering what would be the best picking pattern for this riff? The song is In Dying Days by As Blood Runs Black

|----------------------------------------------------------------
|------------------------------------------------------------------
|-5--5--5--8-7-10-8p7---5-5-5h7--4-4-4h5--5--5--5-|
|--00-00-00-0-0--0----88-8-8---77-7-7------00-00-----
Last edited by From Your Grave at Mar 20, 2011,
It's probably either all downstrokes or all downs on the lowest string and upstrokes for all the others.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by From Your Grave
It's at 220 bpm or something like that, and that makes all down strokes on the bottom string unreasonable.

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it's impossible or unreasonable. There are plenty of bands that downpick constantly at that speed and considerably faster.

Judging by the style of the music and the look of the riff I would put money on it being one of the two methods I said above.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's probably either all downstrokes or all downs on the lowest string and upstrokes for all the others.

The second way sounds the best(i think). All downstrokes makes it sound chopped up... maybe my bandmates doing it wrong but i play the song the first way. its soo much easier
I would go with all downstrokes. 220 BMP is the same as Master of Puppets (all downs). 220 is totally doable with all downs..it's quite easy if you have been playing a while.
Ibanez JEM7VWH
ESP/LTD Viper VB-300 (Baritone)
Peavey 6505
Mesa Standard 4X12
Boss TU-3
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
POD XT (Bean)
Line 6 FBV Longboard
Hey....I used to have this song. As Blood Runs Black we're never my cup of tea personally, but I would most definitely hit the notes on the 5th string as upstrokes and the (presumably palm-muted) notes on the 6th string as downstrokes.
It's a completely melodic riff; you could be totally lame and play everything on the low string. That would take a lot of pressure off the picking style. Assuming that's in drop, 5@5th == 12@6th.
[QUOTE]

|-5--5--5--8-7-10-8p7---5-5-5h7--4-4-4h5--5--5--5-|
|--00-00-00-0-0--0----88-8-8---77-7-7------00-00-----

Im sure this does 3 opens instead of 2 or isit not the intro riff? Lol.

Id play that alt picking.

5 down

0 up 0 down 0 up
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Mar 21, 2011,
I'd play it all downstrokes because that's just the way I play, play it either way you want really
Well IMO you will benefit from alternate picking that Riff.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Thanks everyone, that really helped. I think the way I'll play it now is downs on the 6th, ups on the 5th. Alternate picking is too sloppy for this kind of riff, at least how I do it. This is actually the verse riff, smokey :p
And yes, the opens are palm muted.
It is probably the wrong way, sorta an econo pick, but this is how I do it, I am not even close to an authority though.

-5-- 5-- 5-- 8- 7-10-8p7
--00-00- 00- 0- 0--0--
duddudduddudud ud