why not buy three American fenders instead?

ive played the 335, plays good, sounds good
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
You can get most guitars for that sort of price, so time to go to a store and start trying them. Personally prefer PRS guitars but its all opinion.

Over here you would also likely be able to get a custom guitar made for that price, so if you know what you want then that could be the way to go.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
its just that i don't have any music stores in my town or nearby. That site i linked to offer "30-day money-back guarantee". So thats the way i have to try out the guitars.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_22_semi_hollow_ltd_cb.htm

Thats what I would buy, I dont know what sort of price that would be in the USA though, I guess it will be too expensive. Realistically though unless you have played similar guitars your better travelling for a few hours to go somewhere, imo saves hassle and your going to probably like what you get more.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Why give a shit about other people's opinion on the internet when you're spending enough money to buy any model guitar you want except vintage gibsons/fenders/high end PRS's?
At that price tag, if you don't want to go custom then I'd suggest a PRS much more over a Gibson. Way more value IMO, though both brands make you pay out the ass for the headstock alone.
i say go custom...but otherwise the gibby is great
335's are damn fine and can cover jazz ad pop, but at your price I'd invest in a custom build that can do what you want.

Don't limit your options to mass market productions, get creative
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
If you have that kind of money to throw down on a guitar, then you could fly yourself to a city with a music store.
If you are dropping that cash I would go custom. I can't wait to have 3k to drop on my custom RAN. Hope they have the obscura model out when i do
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
With that much I'd rather get a used Navigator N-LP-280.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I'd go for a PRS or a Carvin for that pricerange.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Basically anything at that price range will be awesome.
Dude, you're blowing more cash on a single guitar than most people here blow on 4 of them.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Basically anything at that price range will be awesome.
Dude, you're blowing more cash on a single guitar than most people here blow on 4 of them.

Meh I find 3k fair for a custom hand made guitar.
My quote from ran was about 3400 and I consider it fair.
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
If you're going to spend several thousands on a guitar it would probably be wise to try it in person before you buy? :V
Oi! Me dog Sally needs to drop:

|-4---|
|-5---|
For that money I would go for a custom.

I'm lying I would save up a little more and buy a Les Paul Standard 1959 VOS.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by dark Mass
With that much I'd rather get a used Navigator N-LP-280.

I hate you for bringing Navigator back into my life. I played a Navigator LP once. I forgot what model it was. I found it on Craigslist, met the guy, and he wasn't willing to haggle at all. I was $50 short of the asking price, which was around $600 and had no more money. I called my dad to see if he could loan me some money. I called everyone I could. But by the time I got back, it was sold

To this day, that remains one of the most depressing moments of my life.
This is a fun shopping trip.

Semi-hollow body is a fairly specialized purchase choice. Not really used in hard rock too much, although ironically Alex Lifeson used a semi-hollowbody for the rhythm track on Tom Sawyer.

When you start talking about semi-hollowbodies, your gain-before-feedback suffers. Those things can howl on stage with a cranked amp if you don't watch it.

Also, when you say you are going to play "all styles", that's an enormous universe in guitar language. There is country music, speed metal, retro-60's sounds. The list is practically endless, and they each have guitars that tend to be favored over others in any particular category.

You most sensible choice is probably either between a proper Paul Reed Smith or Gibson Les Paul. This would be a good battle, your decision hinging strongly on whether you "have to have" a tremolo arm or not:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Supreme-Figured-Electric-Guitar-102165966-i1149452.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar-with-10-Top--Standard-Neck--and-Gold-Hardware--H14463-i1553369.gc

Since you want to play jazz, it looks like the Les Paul would be the more suitable of the two for you. You can totally play jazz with a Les Paul guitar. There was a jazz guitar player named Les Paul who did just that.
Last edited by tmcdaniels at Mar 23, 2011,
PRS Hollowbody Spruce.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Greg said exactly what I was going to say.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Suhr makes a hell of a guitar. Right around your price range too,maybe a bit more depending on your options.

My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Quote by trueamerican
Suhr would be great, but he wants a hollowbody....

They make it all man

My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Just because the site said there is a 30 day guarantee/trade/return, that doesn't mean they will pay for the shipping when you send it to them. MOST of the time, when you buy something, they will make you pay for the return shipping.
Quote by Air_Vengeance
They make it all man

(Invalid img)

True. But it still won't have as full and warm of a sound

So, why do you hate Kramer so much?
You could buy like 30 Squires.

Or a PRS. That too.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I think if somebody is going to ask random strangers on a forum which guitar they should buy for $3400 then they probably shouldn't spend $3400 on a guitar. If you are going to spend that kind of a wad on one guitar then you should know what you want and not give a damn what anyone else thinks. Otherwise you are probably making a mistake. If you want a 335 style guitar buy an Epiphone Sheraton. Most people who own high end guitars like that Gibson are wealthy middleaged men, guitar prodigys, professional musicians or just really experienced players. People who know what they are buying and know what they are looking for. And even then I don't think most would make a purchase like that this lightly.
If I had that kind of money id get a Gretsch White Falcon or a Les Paul Custom.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by Pac_man0123
This may sound kind of dickish but I think if you have to ask, you shouldn't be looking at $3800 guitars...

+7000
Quote by Pac_man0123
This may sound kind of dickish but I think if you have to ask, you shouldn't be looking at $3800 guitars...

+

Frikin

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Pac_man0123

Agreed 1000%.
Though if you actually want to recommend something, this is surely a nice change of pace from reccommending Yamaha Pacificas and Ibanez RG/S guitars.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Mar 24, 2011,
i disagree.

guys with a real budget like to hear input too.

srsly, PRS hollowbody spruce, with piezo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
i disagree.

guys with a real budget like to hear input too.

srsly, PRS hollowbody spruce, with piezo.

I agree. If you're spending this much on a guitar, you should be able to know about all the best options. I think I know a lot about guitars and guitar brands/models, but nobody knows everything. Plenty of people on this forum can recommend little-known brands, or more obscure models that suit TS's needs properly. Or even a guitar that TS knew about but forgot about when thinking about what to get. I know I can be pretty bad about remembering things off the top of my head, ESPECIALLY when you're buying a $3800 guitar. That's so exciting and stressful that I probably wouldn't be able to think very clearly, what with all the shrieking, jumping up and down, and hugging strangers that I'd be doing.
Quote by PowerBoy
Im looking to buy a new guitar for around 3800$. i have been looking into:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_es335_dot_plain_cherry_lh.htm

so what do you think about it? do you have any better suggestions?

im gonna play all kinds of music styles, from jazz to pop.

Get a custom hand made guitar, I'm sure you should be able to find a luthier in that price range. Here in Perth we have Ormsby guitars and they'd make you one for under that (I figure that's probably not a great option) but to be honest it's the only luthier I know and they do great work: http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/finished.html ).
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212