I've always been attracted to the multi effects scene cuz you can set it all up so that one button changes lots of effects to what you need for different bits of a song.

How do people go from screaming lead tones (with for eg. your amp on its dirty channel with a overdrive pedal to boost it, a bit of reverb and a full delay) into chilled out clean tone (with just a little reverb and your amp on clean)?

If you are going from maybe a solo in the chorus into a chilled bridge, that requires you to push 3 buttons in a fraction of a second and while you do that you have to think about what you are playing? It seems damn near impossible!

SO, how do you manage this?
Practice??? thats a good question idk maybe a multi effect pedal like a boss gt-8 or something like it
Pedals. One channel is the lead tone, the next is a clean tone, etc. Just hit a button and boom! Takes some practice to get used to pedals, though.
first headbang stack.

obviously we are dealing with pedals and amp switching pedals. The question is how the hell you manage to stomp three times between parts of a song?

And ya I have seen the g-system. Its an amazing idea but for all of us who don't have millions to blow.... That is the ultimate though
Last edited by vodkanoodle at Mar 20, 2011,
MIDI switching.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
MIDI switching.

+1

And connect the pedals to a midi switcher station eg. Rocktron Patchmate Loop 8. They do cost though... A proper system for your pedals would be around 500e I guess...
Hell if I know
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
it's all a matter of priority with me... I mean, if I wanted to go from a chorussy clean to a screamin' lead, I turned the chorus off first, maybe 1 or 2 seconds before the phrase change, then turned the dist pedal on or whatever gave me the lead, then the delay... the thing is to find a way you're comfortable with and do it in a way that's the least noticeable
That's the advantage of a multifx. You can do that at minimal cost. A cheap way to do it with a pedalboard is to create two chains and put them on a loop switch. But that's fairly limited.
Quote by Darkflame
it's all a matter of priority with me... I mean, if I wanted to go from a chorussy clean to a screamin' lead, I turned the chorus off first, maybe 1 or 2 seconds before the phrase change, then turned the dist pedal on or whatever gave me the lead, then the delay... the thing is to find a way you're comfortable with and do it in a way that's the least noticeable

^
Practice.

Its really all about timing the changes so its least noticeable.

I try to change the modulation effects during a ringing chord. Any OD/Dist/Fuzz I kick in at the next chord or whatever.

Edit: This reply is for TS.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 20, 2011,
I use the G major 2, which only has one relay switch. But my midi pedal (behringer FCB1010) has 2 switches. If your amp has external switching jacks it's very easy.

I have my amp locked into the lead channel on the back panel. So when it's getting no signal it's always on channel 3. Then I program the FCB1010 so that when I select an FX preset that is set up for a clean tone, it also tells my amp to go to channel 1. When I hit my rhythm preset it tells the amp chanel 2. I do everything with a single pedal press. Your amp doesn't have to have midi switching, it just has to have external channel switching control. Some amps you'd have to make a custom cable and replace the amps' footswitch, but a LOT of amps support external switching via regular 1/4" stereo cables.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
you go to loopmaster.com and have them build you a custom clean/dirty loop/channel switcher like i am having built right now. it also has combinable loops and a switch to "assign" a loop to a channel.

look here
www.loop-master.com/
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Last edited by iheartgun at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by iheartgun
you go to loopmaster.com and have them build you a custom clean/dirty loop/channel switcher like i am having built right now. it also has combinable loops and a switch to "assign" a loop to a channel.

look here
www.loopmasters.com/

I know it was an accident, but please change the link before I report you.
fixed and next time how about a pm so i dont look like a tard

k thanks
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Last edited by iheartgun at Mar 20, 2011,
I use a zoom g2...after editing the patch, save the new patch by pressing the "Store" key and using the "Bank" keys to choose the target bank where you will store the sound. Use the foot switches to choose the effect's patch number within the target bank. Press the "Store" key again to save the new patch..then go back to play mode and use the foot swtiches to change effects..
check this: guitar music
Last edited by kurtdaniel1 at Mar 29, 2011,
Well my planned rig is like this. I think you will find that this arrangement works for pedals for almost all kinds of music.

Guitar 1 > Wah pedal > Clean Boost / OD stompbox > Loop mixer Input

(a loop mixer takes an input signal, runs it through two loops, routes it out to the next unit in ur chain)

Loop A send > PreAmp1 (Set to Clean) > Loop A return > Loop B send > PreAmp2 (Set to dirty) > Loop B return > Loop mixer output

> Delay > Phase/Mod > Active SpeakerCab/Power Amp/PA System/DI

Operation: Activate Loop A signal for cleans. Use OD for slightly higher gain bluesy stuff. Use the loop switcher to switch between clean and dirty channels. If you're using only the dirty channel, use clean boost for solos or your wah. Anything else just goes either between the wah and loop switcher or the loop switcher and your speaker.

This is how I use my set-up. I realize it's slightly problematic for people using only one amp but really loop switchers can solve your minimalist problems. If you're a pedal freak and want several things on all the time, MIDI is the only way to go.

P.S. If you're using this setup, ensure that either your wah or your boost stomp has buffered bypass to prevent cable capacitance.