Is it possible to have strobe lights that will only work while Im playing? I feel that a strobe light dependent on volume or sound wouldn't work well at a show, and would constantly be on. Perhaps they have one that can connect to my amp somehow and know when its using a lot of electricity? I dont know man, I could be speaking out my ass. Im just curious. If that isnt possible would they have modules with programmable light shows?
I'm really in the dark here. Sorry
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I'm sure there's something that could use the signal from a guitar as a switch to start a circuit to the strobe light, but I don't know of one off the top of my head.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
That would be awesome =O
- THIS IS MY SIG -
BEHOLD ITS AWESOMENESS
I work in a nightclub, our light systems work off sound input. Basically, dj links his laptop into a mixer, which has a cable running to a pc. The pc controls the lights using a program (no idea what it's called, sorry!), including the strobe lights. You can set a frequency limit too, so that it only activates them on certain notes too, such as for chugging or something.

I don't see how this can't be adapted so that it goes from guitar to a mixer then to a pc.
it would be possible. you would just need some microcontroller hooked up. could try it with an arduino or something.
now extra flamey
I do not know anyone who does lighting. I was hoping this would be simpler than it sounds x] Im surprised they dont have a strobe light already ready to go for this kinda stuff. used in the right genre, i feel it could be epic. I thought maybe theyd have a strobe light with an adapter that my power cord, or speaker cable could run through. but thats too easy right? haha
just chillin in your room with a strobe light and a guitar.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
I've done a bit of lighting with college before.
The large majority of gig lights are controlled in this way OP, most of the time it's not a person programming them, but sound sensitive lights that work mostly on the tempo and velocity of the tunes.

I can't really give any more details than that though, but just so you know it's definitely something you can do, and probably not too difficult either.
Would anyone be able to provide some links to some devices and or programs I would be interested in?
Most lighting systems in clubs and gigs work on what's called sound-to-light, basically there's a microphone in the fixture that triggers the light to react to the sound (usually the loudest sound, so in a club it responds to the bassline). However that would react to the whole band. If you want it to react to just your guitar, and your amp has multiple output jack sockets, you should be able to get a cable to run one output into the light, and the signal would cause the light to flash with each note, you'd just need some jack to XLR cable (XLR is a circular plug with three small pins, it's what most lighting fixtures use to control them). For a more complex setup a lighting tech should be able to rig up a lighting desk to take input from your guitar and produce output to the light with either every, say, fourth note, or notes within a certain frequency range, something like that, depending on how good a lighting desk is available. Look up a local PA and Lighting company in your area, they should have some stuff you can hire out and if you need a lighting desk, someone to operate it.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
A local band near me (Texas in July) just hook up some decent sized light fixtures and has somebody with a Guitar Hero controller using the strum bar to control when the lights turn on and off. Pretty ingenious, if you ask me.
I'd never be able to play with strobe lights lol, that'd be so distracting and you'd lose sight of the fretboard alot when the light's off.

I'm pretty sure alot of lighting works that way though, depending on the venue, some have people controlling it, maybe it's programmed for the set or what you're suggesting
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Maybe you could run it like a lightbulb attenuator?

Or set it up so that a wah-style rocker pedal controls the speed - like a gas pedal.
Quote by Crofty89
Most lighting systems in clubs and gigs work on what's called sound-to-light, basically there's a microphone in the fixture that triggers the light to react to the sound (usually the loudest sound, so in a club it responds to the bassline). However that would react to the whole band. If you want it to react to just your guitar, and your amp has multiple output jack sockets, you should be able to get a cable to run one output into the light, and the signal would cause the light to flash with each note, you'd just need some jack to XLR cable (XLR is a circular plug with three small pins, it's what most lighting fixtures use to control them). For a more complex setup a lighting tech should be able to rig up a lighting desk to take input from your guitar and produce output to the light with either every, say, fourth note, or notes within a certain frequency range, something like that, depending on how good a lighting desk is available. Look up a local PA and Lighting company in your area, they should have some stuff you can hire out and if you need a lighting desk, someone to operate it.

Are you talking about using the emulated output? or literally powering it with my cab output? if so wouldnt I need to make sure to use a speaker cable? and would running the power through the xlr be bad?
Strobes bug me. For a few seconds is ok, but anytime you're playing would be really annoying IMO.
I believe so, I think they're called Infinity Lights. But you'd probably have to hotwire them to your amp.
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Quote by xNIHILISMx
Are you talking about using the emulated output? or literally powering it with my cab output? if so wouldnt I need to make sure to use a speaker cable? and would running the power through the xlr be bad?

No, your cab output wouldn't be powering it, lighting fixtures have a separate power input, usually a 10amp (kettle) input that is connected to the mains/your power distro, and the XLR input for control via lighting desk etc. It would take hardly any power from your amp, as all the amp signal will be doing is controlling the timing of the strobe flashing. It would only work if you can have output to both the cab and the line out jack, or if there are two line out jacks on your amp though.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.