Can different types of speakers be combined in a cabinet? For example 1x15" bass speaker and 2x12" guitar speakers? Is it worth to do so?
Yup.
Of course. Some designs do use different types of speakers in the same cab. The goal is to combine different speakers for a specific tone or sound.
I built a 2x12 cab with 2 Celestions in it. A G12K-85 and a Alnico Gold. Each is pretty much at opposite ends of the sonic spectrum.

I also isolated the speakers from each other. Kind of like 2 - 1x12 cabs stuck together.
I'm a sucker for a guitar cab that consists of 1X15, 1X12, 1X10 and 2X8's w/ horn tweeter. I use a 3-way crossover and send lows to the 15, mids feed the 12 and 10 and highs are handled by the 8's and tweeter. Its like a full-range PA cab for ma geetar.
For Bass I go up to 2X15 with 1X12 in a cab w/ no crossover.
In LungBuster, Me n Chain split our 4X12 cab's into two 2X12's and each used 1 side of each cab. So each cab had both guitarists coming out of it, balancing out the stage volume greatly.
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
So in the end, be careful, but even still it's not THAT easy to get killed to death.
Quote by OurSouls,inc.

In LungBuster, Me n Chain split our 4X12 cab's into two 2X12's and each used 1 side of each cab. So each cab had both guitarists coming out of it, balancing out the stage volume greatly.

So you we're using the cabinet as a monitor for guitars?

Actually this sounds useful, because I never hear the other guitarist in my band and I have NO IDEA what he is playing.
Yup.
Last edited by Legion(Viktis) at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by Legion(Viktis)
So you we're using the cabinet as a monitor for guitars?

Actually this sounds useful, because I never hear the other guitarist in my band and I have NO IDEA what he is playing.

Exactly. I modded the cab by adding a 'wall' in between the sets of speakers. seperate input jack for each of us and whammo! We had instant sound dispersion. We could also get away with only using one cab for smaller gigs- he on one half, me on the other. We can be heard @ www.myspace.com/popalung \m/
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
So in the end, be careful, but even still it's not THAT easy to get killed to death.