Page 1 of 2
I'd like to get an LP style guitar. As I'm not a proffessional player and play only for myself it should be up to $1000.

From the looks I like the
1) Epiphone Appetite model - bit afraid of the quality. Don't know about the sound. Gibson Appetite sound is excellent but out of my price range.
2) ESP Eclipse II - the distressed finish is nice and sound should be good.
3) LTD EC-1000FM - no glue of the quality or sound
4) Any Gibson's for that price that make sense?

Please share your experience with those. Maybe some other models?
Eclipse ll
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Check out the Les Paul Studio's. If you find a nice one for around $1000 you will be very satisfied. I've played a few recently as I may be purchasing one in the future and they are real nice. That's my vote! Make this a poll?
You should decide if you want a Les Paul style body or a Les Paul style guitar. LPs have a 24.75" scale as most others on your list have 25.5". Also, LPs generally do not have active pups.

I just saw the same Gibson LP Studio Silverburst (with 60's neck and push/pull pots) I have, used for $999 at the Guitar Center in Manhattan. The location in Chicago has it used for $899. Just search the used section on the GC website. Also note that Gibsons come with a hard shell case and most others on your list do not. Thats an extra $130 you could be using.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
As I live in the middle of nowhere I don't have the luxury of testing the different models. So I need to rely on what people suggest.

So here's what I know I want:
a) Should be with a fixed bridge (have a strat and it's not quite it).
b) Should have HH pickups.
c) Like the looks of an LP, especially would kill for a flametop, honeyburst and similar.
d) Should be with good quality. Am a bit afraid of Squire's and Epiphone's. Maybe unnecessarily.
The Epiphones are nice guitars as long as you buy the standard or upwards from that model. Don't be so weary of them. I think they are made pretty well. Some are junk though as quality control at Epiphone plants is inconsistent. I would avoid the ESP as you won't get the same tone with active pickups and I think the design doesn't to the original Les Paul justice. The Gibson Studio's mostly come in solid colors and I don't think they come in flame. Consider the higher end Agile guitars as they are beautiful and have great electronics.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
The Epiphones are nice guitars as long as you buy the standard or upwards from that model. Don't be so weary of them. I think they are made pretty well. Some are junk though as quality control at Epiphone plants is inconsistent. I would avoid the ESP as you won't get the same tone with active pickups and I think the design doesn't to the original Les Paul justice. The Gibson Studio's mostly come in solid colors and I don't think they come in flame. Consider the higher end Agile guitars as they are beautiful and have great electronics.
I'd say an nice Agile AL-3100 or something around there first, and if not possible then an Epi LP Standard or Custom (though again, their QC is something to be weary of. They do have duds sometimes.)

The Agile I mentioned is below, and comes in loads of finishes (one below is Honey Sunburst).
http://www.rondomusic.com/product2570.html
Epiphones are perfectly fine as you stay on the mid-higher range. It doesn't sound like you need an ESP/LTD as you will get completely diffent tones than an LP. The Appetite model is a signature model with Slash's sig Alnico IIs. You will get a more vintage/classic tone from it, compared to the epi LP Standard.

I suggest you go with the Epi LP Standard Plus. The plus meaning flame maple top (actually veneer but it looks nice!). Spend the extra money on an amp or accessories.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
^ Last sentence is also a good point. If you only spend like $400 - $600 on the guitar, then you still have loads left over for other stuff, like pedals, an amp, etc. Which if I were you, I'd probably spend it on pedals or maybe a Pod or something. The MG will do if you're not doing anything bigger than a school talent show, but that Metalzone is just
Trust me you wont regret this i played it and i can safely say one of the best guitars i have ever played. might have been a lucky pick but seriously it was ace. you wont have dual humbuckers but p90's are snarly little ****ers and they are very good clean i think you should consider it
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
I'd get the Eclipse II but I'm a bit biased toward them.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Wait, there are no guitar shops in your area that even carry Gibson? Not even a used one via local classifieds or something?

There are vast differences between the neck shapes on ESP Eclipses and Gibson Les Pauls....
Unless you're perfectly fine with blowing $1000 on a guitar you may find uncomfortable?

Be wary of shipping costs but you could look at importing Edwards, Tokai, or other cheaper than Gibson LP copies.

If you find you like Gibson necks but don't want to get a Studio or Epiphone anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/USED-EDWARDS-E-LP-98LTS-LMD-98-LTS-/250788253737?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a64251029#ht_5328wt_1828
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ESP-EDWARDS-Les-Paul-Custom-Sperzel-Tuners-Hardcase-/170617459212?pt=Guitar&hash=item27b997d20c#ht_500wt_1156

I can say that Edwards LPs feel quite similar to Gibson necks in terms of the thickness.
I can't comment on whether the shape is exactly the same or not though.
ok so gibson studios IMO sound better than the eclipse, EMGs dont belong in those guitars.
high end epiphones can be nice, play before you buy though, to be sure.

the necks on the gibson and the esp are very similar, esp is a bit more comfortable though (cutaways and easier high fret acess)

the EMGs work fine in the LP body shape, its just that passives just add something the EMGs dont have, you should be happy either way.

agile would probably be best, havent played one though. but the extra money for other gear would be good
Epiphone Appetite model is an amazing guitar and the quality is top notch. I think the pups perform really great. I have played three so far and they were exact clones of each other one of the most consistent guitars I have played in a long time. Usually no matter what the brand you can hear and feel subtle differences but the Slash Appetites I have played you would swear they were the same guitar. The Actual ESP is a nice guitar I am just not a fan of the distressed look. I wouldn't give you 3 cents for the LTD counterpart. You would be better off with an Epi Prophecy with Dirty Finger pups then Agile.

I never rule out used equipment I have been seeing more and more Gibsons Studios and Standards popping up at shops and on CL for under $1000.00.

I have been watching the new Epi Nighthawk and got to play one recently this will be my next guitar the thing is just amazing and for $400.00. I place an order for mine should have it soon.

Guitarist Magazine/Music Radar lists the Epi Nighthawk as one of the Top Ten products from NAMM 2011

Epi Nighthawk review

You have to play this to appreciate it probably one of the most versatile guitars out there.

This guitar is such a hit SD will be offering upgrade pups for it as well.

John
Quote by Seanthesheep

the necks on the gibson and the esp are very similar, esp is a bit more comfortable though (cutaways and easier high fret acess)

Not in my experience.

The ESP brand as a whole was designed mostly (save for a couple of models) as metal/shred guitars.

The ESP Eclipse (with EMGs or not) is the same case. It's neck is no where near as chunky as any Gibson Les Paul.

If you're looking at ESP but want similar to a Gibby neck profile, look at the Edwards ebay links. Those LP copies are fairly close to a real Gibby.

While Agile and Epiphone are solid options at lower price points, at this price point TS can do way better.
The EC1000 and Eclipse are both fantastic. Les Paul Studios are excellent too. Depends if you want a slim neck / high gain design or thick neck / traditional sound.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by siverstorm
Not in my experience.

The ESP brand as a whole was designed mostly (save for a couple of models) as metal/shred guitars.

The ESP Eclipse (with EMGs or not) is the same case. It's neck is no where near as chunky as any Gibson Les Paul.

If you're looking at ESP but want similar to a Gibby neck profile, look at the Edwards ebay links. Those LP copies are fairly close to a real Gibby.

While Agile and Epiphone are solid options at lower price points, at this price point TS can do way better.

my bad, i forgot the neck of the LP i A/B'd with the eclipse was a 60's neck which is the thinner than the normals 50's neck.

i think i shouldve said the the 60's neck and eclipse neck are similar
Quote by johnro6659
The Actual ESP is a nice guitar I am just not a fan of the distressed look. I wouldn't give you 3 cents for the LTD counterpart. You would be better off with an Epi Prophecy with Dirty Finger pups then Agile.

John
Oh look, it's this guy again...
Remember flame maple is nothing more then looks. It does zero for tone. But tone is a mind game so if you want strips get them. If your wallet does not have the cash for what you want I suggest saving up and buying it. Do not steer off the path for what you want by a lower price and the notion that it will be good enough. It will not. The widget might look sorta like like it but, it will never feel or be that whateveritis you wanted in the first place. Save your money. Work for what you want. Do not settle for a second best.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Last edited by Bhaok at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by Dellinger1988
Eclipse ll

x2 or the EC 1000.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Just get an ESP Edwards or a Tokai Love rock, they are amazingly built. I can vouch for those models, played a lot of 'em. Best bang for your buck I'd say. I still went for "the real deal" because they're hard to come by in The Netherlands :P Hope this helped.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
Buying through store/online or Ebay/Used?

New, the Eclipse would be like $500-600 above your other choices. It is an awesome guitar, no question, but a lot pricier than your other choices. the best guitar out of your list.

From what i've read, the Appetite LP has hand selected mahogany bodies and AAA maple top. It maybe be better than the regular production line guitars epiphone has or maybe even better that some Gibson Studios.

EC1000 is a great guitar, but it does have a thinner neck. not the traditional LP

Other good options (IMO, of course):
PRS Zach Meyers Signature - 3 pickups. but the finish on this isn't exactly for everybody. use the money you saved for pickup upgrades.

Gibson LP Menace - if you find one, that is. Regular les paul specs, but looks killer

Epiphone LP Custom
Quote by Pat_s1t
Oh look, it's this guy again...

Yep it's me and LTD guitars still just plain suck! The worse guitars on the market not worth the money the ask for them!
Last edited by johnro6659 at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by johnro6659
Yep it's me an LTD guitars just plain suck! The worse guitars on the market!

Hahaha
Quote by johnro6659
Yep it's me an LTD guitars just plain suck! The worse guitars on the market!

, Someone should Sig this.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by dark Mass
I'd get the Eclipse II but I'm a bit biased toward them.

yeah me too. Because they're in a different league to the other models which have been mentioned.

get the full thickness model or something if you want it to sound as close to a gibbo as possible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You seem to be in need of something like this
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Go with the Gibson Les Paul Studio. can't go wrong. You can hear one (and an SG standard) in this video
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
Quote by Dellinger1988
Eclipse ll

+1
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Thank you so much guys. Looks like the best choice for me would be the Appetite LP. I tried and ESP Eclipse the other day and I can't get rid of the fact that it's looks a bit different then an LP and it keeps bugging me.

Probably have to buy it without being able to try one first but hope the custom models are equal quality.

On the amp side I'm well. Have a JCM800 stack.
the appetite epiphone is a nice guitar. u should also check out the epiphone les paul tribute. good guitars.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I’ve got the Epi slash sig ( December 2010 ) and I’m really pleased with it. The only thing that’s not very good on the Epi guitars is the electrics, my 3 way switch started playing up the day I got it. It still works it just need a bit of a wiggle to make it connect. The guitar itself plays great and sounds great as well I don’t think I will ever sell it,,,Paul.
Quote by relk
I'd like to get an LP style guitar. As I'm not a proffessional player and play only for myself it should be up to $1000.

From the looks I like the
1) Epiphone Appetite model - bit afraid of the quality. Don't know about the sound. Gibson Appetite sound is excellent but out of my price range.
2) ESP Eclipse II - the distressed finish is nice and sound should be good.
3) LTD EC-1000FM - no glue of the quality or sound
4) Any Gibson's for that price that make sense?

Please share your experience with those. Maybe some other models?

Dude if you're gonna spend that much get a Gibson Les Paul. Ive seen Used studios on guitar centers website that go for that. (true you dont get to play it first though)

But even craigslist usually hass deals on a les paul.

I wouldnt waste the cash on something fake especially considering with like another couple 100s you can buy a brand new studio.Or get a used one in really good condition.
Quote by reggaebassman
I wouldnt waste the cash on something fake

I wouldnt consider brands like Tokai and Agile "fake"
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
LEt me tell you, my Epi Prophecy with Dirty Fingers is one mean guitar. I get compliments because of it a lot, it has awesome looks and sounds brutal, I only criticize it having only 1 tone and 1 volume control.
Quote by johnro6659
Yep it's me and LTD guitars still just plain suck! The worse guitars on the market not worth the money the ask for them!

if i didn't know better i'd say you were just a troll.

people who like LTDs are wrong are they? what makes you think your opinion is more valid than theirs?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Page 1 of 2