ok so I'm thinking of getting this mesa cabinet, but it looks like it was made before they started using V30 speakers as the standard, instead it has 4 MC90 blackshadow speakers. he wants 600 for it and i can probably negotiate a bit. what do you guys think? it looks to be in fine condition. is it worth it?

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-MESA-BOOGIE-412-GUITAR-CABINET-W0QQAdIdZ263900463

EDIT: I can get the cab for 500 before negotiations
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Mar 20, 2011,
That's a really bad price for that cab IMO.

You should be able to find a newer, V30 loaded cab for that. C90s are ok, but they'd don't work very well with a lot of amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
the V30 cabs go for atleast 750 here, finding one 650 or lower is generally a challenge.

and ive beeen reading that the C90s arent that bad speakers, and 500 is too much? then whats a good price for the cab?
Ask him to take out the speakers and then buy it empty? Load it up with Warehouse Veteran 30s.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
They aren't terrible. I have one in my combo and I like it. But what amp are you going to be using it with?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I think it would work well....but I am an MC90 fan. I will let others weigh in on it as well...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
ok then, worst case, i get it for 450 and dont like it, then put 2 V30 seakers in later to balance it out. but ive read that these speakers are comparable to the CL80 which doesnt colour the tone much, right?
Aim for $400. Only make it $450 if he doesn't budge. Complain gas prices and about driving to pick it up and borrowing a friends car and shit...I don't know. But yea, you could always go for the X pattern with another speaker.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Good luck sir!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Seanthesheep
i dont want to have to redo the cab with speakers, but are these speakers really that bad?

i don't think so, i had one loaded in my crate 1x12 for a while. we also had an older mesa 4x12 with the C90's and EVM-12L's. monster cabs.

i really don't know how well they do 'brutalz', but i liked the speaker. it was a bit stiff sounding, no EQ spikes, didn't stand out in the mix overly well, and had a bit of mids notch. but it also blended real well with other speakers, had stable low end response i liked, wasn't harsh sounding (more mellow), and sat in the mix real well (as opposed to the 'standing out' i mentioned earlier).

i'd play the cab before buying if you have reservations. i am also not as much of a fan of the V30's as other people can be on this site. i find them harsh, and they cut in the mix a bit much for my perferences, although they are more 'responsive' than the C90 i didn't really dig on the V30's 'response' (gimme and old 50's jenson ).

edit: i feel around 400 to 450 usd for this cab as well. i wouldn't go over 500 for sure, and only 500 if you really really want this cab.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 20, 2011,
On first look it looks like BG412 with mesa/boogie plate
"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!"
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, you shouldn't pour beer on your guitar.
well if it isnt gonna cut the mix then its a no go for me, one of the biggest issues for me is cutting the mix. again id be running a 6534+ which is an amp with alot of mids, so would it balance out?

im thinking worst case, if this deal doesnt go through, ill just order an avatar 4x12 with vintage 30s in it already. because v30 mesas are now becoming scarce and pricey, and theres never been a market of used orange gear here
damn. sad to hear that. do you have opportunity to play it first? i'd at least try it out first if i could and see if it would work out.

i really like the C90 with my THD bivalve because the THD's bark is pretty aggressive (not brutals, it's not a gain machine but it has a very aggressive attack, especially in the mid range). didn't like it much with the OR50H or TT. i am sure i ran more amps through the speaker but i can't remember what and those were the only ones i spent good time with.

my fav cab is my orange ppc212 with a 100 watt alnico blue dog and 100 watt ceramic silver bell. just about any of my clips use that cab.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
i have the oppritunity to play it ya, but through his amp, not mine. so itll be a shot in the dark on how itll do with mine.

but im not liking the mixed thoughts about what amp it work with, so im thinking it might just be better to buy an avatar cabinet and install casters on the bottom
ok so after going through craigslist kijiji and ebay here are my current options for a V30 4x12 cab:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Mesa-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-Mesa-4x12-Slant-Cab-W0QQAdIdZ267339164 (for 650, he wont go any lower, ive tried already)

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/2254244067.html (beaten to hell)

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/2197948758.html (guy doesnt answer emails)

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/2227268007.html (way out of budget)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MESA-BOOGIE-4x12-4FB-Celestion-30s-W-Road-Case-/170614195731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b9660613#shId (with shipping, out of busdget)

plus the ad i started the thread with. just trying to show how limited my options are here, and asking what you guys would do now.