you know that high-pichy sound that guitarist make at the end of the song by circulating the air the speaker creates to the string and an high frequency sound comes out?
i need some tips how to nail it in normal volumes.
so far this is my finding:
high gain makes the effect stronger at low volumes.
you need to increase the volume at the last note
your guitar need to be as close as it can be to the speaker.

now my problem is that when i play "always with me, always with you" at low gain i cant make that effect until i reach quite high volume, that happens because i use moderate gain in that song.

if it is important, i use an sg-400,frontman25r and boss me-25.
overdrive, fuzz and distortion pedals are the most common effects used for creating a "high gain" sound, but not all of them are suitable for creating feedback at low volume levels

I mean: try to compare the tones of, say, James Hetfield and Kurt Cobain. Hetfield's sounds a lot more distorted and is therefore perfect for thrashy metal playing, yet if you look up some Nirvana videos you'll find that Cobain's "solo's" sound "dirtier" and totally out of control, depsite (or perhaps partly due to) a way more basic setup. Not only because he used to jam his guitars into his cabinets, but because he wasn't really about "being subtle" with his effects so he pbbly had the gain knob on his distortion pedals all the way up. So yeah, holding your guitar close to the amp will definetly help, but if you can't overdirve your amp your best bet is probably an OD pedal. Make sure to have the volume knob on your guitar all the way up. If any of your pedals have "gain" controls and such, turn 'em way up too (you can compensate by turning the output knobs back a notch)

Keep in mind that guys like Satriani use big tube amps for their recordings that are just perfect for dealing with both clean AND distorted sounds, and their guitars often have pickups that are either active or provide a very high output. That's part of the reason why a song like "Always With Me..." features that trademark high pitch feedback without having a guitar that sounds very "metal-ish". You'll also find that the lead tone on that song isn't that low gain at all: he just plays it very cleanly, without hitting any big chords and such (that part's left for the rhythm guitar, which indeed uses no distortion)

It would be quite hard to achieve such a lead tone on, say, a cheap B.C. Rich Warlock plugged into a practice amp (the tone would be much more "Cobain-ish", meaning it gets all harsh and muddy) but with Satch's equipement and technique the sound is "gainy" yet crisp clear. Not that I'm not saying you need to buy some really expensive stuff: I'm just saying it's a bit more difficult to sound that way...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Mar 20, 2011,