Page 1 of 3
deeppurple97
225 IQ
Hi Guys!

Been practicing Dokken songs lately, i tried soooo much amp settings, but i can´t get that special sound, and a friend of mine, who i thing is a quite good guitar player, couldn´t get it either. Has anyone ever had that amp setting, or guitar tuning, or whatever it might be? i´m a bit confused right now...

look forward to your answers

dp
dimarzio77
BAMF
145 IQ
1965 Marshall Plexi Super-100 & TNT 4x12 cabinet
Univox Uni-Drive
Jordan Creator
Fulltone Deja-Vibe
70's Echoplex
ESP Tiger & signature series guitars all strung with Dean Markley strings with Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon pickups.
Dunlop Picks (light & flexible ones)

He also mentions his new amp from Peavey called the Brahma which is gonna be unveiled at the Jan 2005 NAMM show (Invalid img)

http://www.lewzworld.com/famousguitarsounds/georgelynch.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXco7g9FVgY
RetroGunslinger
1,060 IQ
join the club, I even bought his signature zoom pedal, not a bad pedal at all but doesnt really have any sounds like his
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
RetroGunslinger
1,060 IQ
he used an old ibanez tubescreamer and soldano amps alot too
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Wasn't it some heavily modded JCM800 which was only made once by some guy whose name I forget?

Love that tone, though. It's one of my favourites from the '80s, but it's a shame nobody ever tries to sound like that anymore. It's all about less effects these days and sounding dry.
deeppurple97
225 IQ
@dimarzio77

Thanx for listing all that information, but isn´t there something like a more "I´m still going to school and don´t have that much money" -way?

btw: I tried "It´s not love", and in my opinion i was pretty close to that sound.....
I use a Jackson San Dimas and a GX15 amp....

@DaFjory

Nobody tries to sound like that anymore??? Well, I´d love to have that sound
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Quote by deeppurple97
Nobody tries to sound like that anymore??? Well, I´d love to have that sound

Nobody. I haven't heard a single mainstream guitarist trying to emulate that generic '80s hard rock/heavy metal tone anymore. Gilbert and Satch are the best examples - their tone is so dry, boring, throaty and devoid of character. Back when practically every guitarist used to dump heaps of reverb and delay onto their squealy sound, with the overall production sounding like it was recorded down in a well... Those were the days.
Slicer666
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeei-
352 IQ
Paul's tone on the last few albums has improved heaps though, and Satch uses effects more again.... but to no avail
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Quote by Slicer666
Paul's tone on the last few albums has improved heaps though, and Satch uses effects more again.... but to no avail

Makes no difference. More effects, less effects - they've still completely shunned the '80s production techniques and gear. Everyone's tone these days is always 'in your face' instead of 'down in a well'; 'chunky and full' instead of 'squealy and tinny'; 'dry and throaty' instead of 'awash with heavy reverb and delay'. I know if I had the cash, I'd use an '80s shred tone forever.

*sigh*
Vendetta V
The Creep
9,504 IQ
^^ yeah Satch's toen now is super fat and juicy i'd say tho yeah the not of this earth is a nice example of that dry sound

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my
My

My

And Call Me V
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Quote by Vendetta V
the not of this earth is a nice example of that dry sound

Actually, I think it's the opposite of dry. What I'd consider 'dry' would be anything after The Extremist. From self-titled onwards he lost that squealiness which was so common in the '80s. Same applies to Gilbert - the first 2 Racer X albums were trebly and squealy as fuck.

I hate, repeat HATE, that 'super fat and juicy' crap in a tone. The only exception I'll make is Vai.
Last edited by DaFjory at Mar 20, 2011,
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
This discussion makes for interesting reading, with this quote in particular...

The setup for George's guitar tone on "Under Lock And Key" was as follows:
We had two Marshall heads and two Laney heads, not sure which models, but one of them was a Plexi. We had cabs in three different rooms: two cabs were placed in the big room at Amigo, one connected to a Marshall, the other connected to the Laney. The Marshall was responsible for the high end part of the sound and the Laney was set to take care of the low end. There were 14 (fourteen) mics set up in that room in various psoitions around the cabinet and some further away to get some room tone. The second Laney was sent into a very dead room and had a Boss chorus pedal in front of it, set to very slight chorus. The second Marshall was sent into a small, tiled bathroom, to add a different room tone. Those 16 mics came in on the MCI 500 console mic pres. They were bussed to one bus and that bus had a UREI 530 EQ on it (best guitar EQ ever). George mentioned that he always gets a great tone with his Fostex 4track recorder when it's in total overdrive, so I asked him to bring it in. So after the 530 everything was sent to the Fostex 4track, which lived under a packing blanket under the console, so nobody would see it. The Fostex was on stunn, completely overdriven and was sent on to the 3M 32 track dig machine from there.

I dunno why the hell it has to be so complicated. Are those really the lengths one has to go in order to get that tone? What about at bedroom levels? Couldn't a decently-priced combo with a pedal or two do the job?

Personally, my favourite Lynch tone is from Under Lock And Key. The riffage on In My Dreams perfectly sums up that quintessential '80s shred tone I'm talking about. As I said, nobody ever sounds like that anymore.
Last edited by DaFjory at Mar 21, 2011,
Zanon
Commander Fluffy.
701 IQ
Quote by DaFjory
Makes no difference. More effects, less effects - they've still completely shunned the '80s production techniques and gear. Everyone's tone these days is always 'in your face' instead of 'down in a well'; 'chunky and full' instead of 'squealy and tinny'; 'dry and throaty' instead of 'awash with heavy reverb and delay'. I know if I had the cash, I'd use an '80s shred tone forever.

*sigh*

Maye because the general 80's tone was shit ?

'Squealy and Tinny' 'Down a well' are tonal qualities most people really dislike as they don't sit well in mixes.
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
^ Well, I've always felt like I'm in the minority when it comes to liking - no, LOVING - those tonal qualities. Pretty much everyone seems to have actively shunned it since the early '90s, as if they're ashamed to have been a part of shaping that era-defining sound. What's to be ashamed of? Those squealy '80s recordings sounded badass.

I can only hope for a resurgence of those values one of these days.
Last edited by DaFjory at Mar 21, 2011,
deeppurple97
225 IQ
80´s tone was the coolest ever IMHO..... especially Lynch, Blackmore, EVH etc.....
I think i´ll ask my guitar teacher about it, he has an ESP Tiger, maybe i´m allowed to try it???
Vendetta V
The Creep
9,504 IQ
Quote by DaFjory
Actually, I think it's the opposite of dry. What I'd consider 'dry' would be anything after The Extremist. From self-titled onwards he lost that squealiness which was so common in the '80s. Same applies to Gilbert - the first 2 Racer X albums were trebly and squealy as fuck.

I hate, repeat HATE, that 'super fat and juicy' crap in a tone. The only exception I'll make is Vai.

well that's what i was refer to as dry lol.. that's really dry and senseless idk...

I'm The Creep!

My

My

And Call Me V
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Quote by Vendetta V
well that's what i was refer to as dry lol.. that's really dry and senseless idk...

I always considered a squealy tone to be more 'wet' than dry, but that's just my take on it. I like using a whole bunch of adjectives to describe various tonal qualities. My favourite at one point was 'spongy', to describe quarter-step downtuning.
Vendetta V
The Creep
9,504 IQ
Quote by DaFjory
I always considered a squealy tone to be more 'wet' than dry, but that's just my take on it. I like using a whole bunch of adjectives to describe various tonal qualities. My favourite at one point was 'spongy', to describe quarter-step downtuning.

haha i could tell that. well the reason i refer to it as dry is cause you called the other one [the one that i like] juicy so it wouldn't be dry and juicy but rather as wet and juicy lol

I'm The Creep!

My

My

And Call Me V
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Even Poison's über-generic tone in the '80s kicked more ass than anything I hear today.
deeppurple97
225 IQ
@Way Cool JR

WoooHooo that video rocks!! wish i could do that!
and i agree, almost perfect Lynch sound!
Last edited by deeppurple97 at Mar 26, 2011,
deeppurple97
225 IQ
Got to try my guitar teachers ESP Tiger yesterday. Seems much more like the Lynch sound, but not as close as we expected.....
Slicer666
352 IQ
Quote by DaFjory

*sigh*

To come back to this, I really prefer to set up an 80s type or at least 80s inspired tone for my musacs
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Quote by Slicer666
To come back to this, I really prefer to set up an 80s type or at least 80s inspired tone for my musacs

Whereas I'm stuck with a Line 6 Spider II.
Slicer666
352 IQ
Pod HD500, not the best gear in the world but it gets the job done

especially when I add a bullet coil cable and some BKP's
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
LightninStrikes
182 IQ
I Love 80's tones oh man so reverb rich and abusive amounts of delay I love it hehe

I've got a vypyr and if I was any good at fine tuning the tone I could probably get something pretty good but I make do.
Sounds like? - "A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN WHAT YOU"RE LISTENING TO ON YOUR IPOD RIGHT NOW!"
- Steel Panther
Silky Smooth
Lavish linear lickage
184 IQ
Lynch always had a great tone

The key ingredients obviously are the amps he used

A cranked Soldano is difficult to replicate but you can get close with a Pod or other decent modeler. You don't want too much gain either, just enough to crunch it up but remain clear. And the other aspect is the delay, find a mixture level that doesn't over saturate and muddle the tone. Lynch did use a lot of delay but it was never so much to make his single note passages a mess.

Watch you're eqing as well, a lot of 80's tones used a much flatter EQ than todays players.
Last edited by Silky Smooth at Mar 26, 2011,
deeppurple97
225 IQ
Might be a dumb question, but what exactly is a "cranked" Soldano? An amp?
I also saw him using Marshall amps, and lots of other stuff....
Silky Smooth
Lavish linear lickage
184 IQ
That is correct

He used a variety of amps, though most common was the Soldano and early Marshall non master volume heads. He would run them at very high volumes producing that harmonically rich power tube saturation to get his tone.
Last edited by Silky Smooth at Mar 26, 2011,
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Bah. I sincerely hope that one day tube amps and all these funky methods of getting a certain tone will be laughed at (like dial-up Internet), and every single tone ever used in the history of guitar will be available in a digital box - which will somehow sound 100% like the real thing.

I'm talking instant Lynch or even Holdsworth tone in a box, at the touch of a button. Why the fuck not? This is 2011, ffs.
Last edited by DaFjory at Mar 26, 2011,
deeppurple97
225 IQ
That would be cheating, it would not require any skill anymore to sound like any guitarist you like. I would laugh at some sort of box that makes you 100% sound like the programmed guitarist without yourself doing anything IMHO.
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
^ Bullshit to that. There is no cheating when it comes to getting a guitar tone. You can laugh, whilst I'd be kicking ass with George Lynch tone's in a little box. You just wait - in a few decades' time, only a few old farts will still be lusting after tube amps. Everyone else will have moved onto POD-like devices which can replicate any tone with 100% accuracy. Joy!
Last edited by DaFjory at Mar 27, 2011,
deeppurple97
225 IQ
You can use a box like that if you want , i just wanted to say that i wouldn´t use it, because of what i´ve mentioned.

BTW: Isn´t there sth. like a "Lynch Box" coming out ??
DGW1
UG Newbie
44 IQ
Guy's I love that tone..I can get close with Fender Deville 2x12 clean ch ,Digitech x-Delay,1 Monte Allums rec mod DS-1 with the gain @2.30 Tone at 10.00 and a stock Ds-1 with the gain almost 1/2 way and tone set equally. and a DGW Contender with alnico pickups,,A Screamin Deamon in the bridge would get me a little closer..But thoes 2 pedals together do the trick.
Jimmy
Durango Guitar Works
Short Scale Guitar
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Quote by DGW1
Guy's I love that tone..I can get close with Fender Deville 2x12 clean ch ,Digitech x-Delay,1 Monte Allums rec mod DS-1 with the gain @2.30 Tone at 10.00 and a stock Ds-1 with the gain almost 1/2 way and tone set equally. and a DGW Contender with alnico pickups,,A Screamin Deamon in the bridge would get me a little closer..But thoes 2 pedals together do the trick.

Uh, yeah......... Either that or wait a few decades for that all-in-one box to come out, which should rightfully render all that stuff useless.
deeppurple97
225 IQ
I Can´t wait for some decades! But maybe there will be such a all-in-one box some day.....
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Quote by deeppurple97
I Can´t wait for some decades! But maybe there will be such a all-in-one box some day.....

Well think of it like this, in broad terms - 20 years ago could we have imagined cameras, games and Internet on a tiny mobile phone? As far as I'm concerned, anything's possible. Maybe even sooner than a few decades.
deeppurple97
225 IQ
That´s true, nobody would hav even thought of mobile phone´s in everybody´s pockets... We´ll see...
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Any bog-standard '80s tone does it for me, though. It doesn't necessarily have to be complicated like Lynch's. I could easily go for something like this (specifically at 0:11, 2:17 and 3:05) or even mildly overdriven like this (0:17). Both are totally yummy. Feeeeeeel that delay and reverb, baby!

Oh yeah, and I totally love that Lee Aaron chick. She is divinity personified.
Last edited by DaFjory at Mar 27, 2011,
deeppurple97
225 IQ
Lee Aarons sound is also cool, doesn´t have to be complicated to sound good. Simply look at Marc Bolan ("T-Rex") he just plays around 5 chords in most of his songs, but he´s known as the "pioneer of Glam Rock".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-wXT9eUBm4

Can´t see it that good, but he´s always playing the same for around five minutes
In some Bands the guitarist doesn´t even know how to play guitar and they´re very popular.
Last edited by deeppurple97 at Mar 28, 2011,