So I have a Stagg strat knock off and the only complaint I have about it is the neck, its ridiculously thick. Would it be possible to sand or carve down thinner?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
It can be done but it'll probably cost more than the guitar is worth. Stagg Strat copies go for what, $150ish? You might be better off buying another guitar that suits you better. Not that you shouldn't shave the neck if you like the guitar enough but I'm just saying. (It'll need to be re finished after its shaved too)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Get some sand paper and get to work! You will have to refinish the neck when you are done and it will be a long tedious process but if you want to do it do it.
well I'm just wanting a side project, all my guitars kind of have their own purpose, its my "hendrix guitar" so I would like to fix it instead of just buying a new one. I could always buy a new neck but where's the fun in that?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Last edited by grungebaby at Mar 20, 2011,
Mark a centre line down the back of the neck.

Take measurements at various fret positions along the neck, ideally with a vernier calliper so you know how thick it is to start with, at various points along the neck.

Now either use a block plane or course sand paper on a block and work the neck back.

You could , to start with, just do the 1-5 fret section of the neck and get that how you like it, then measure it to see how much you too off, then take the same off the rest of the neck.

If it has a skunk stripe, be careful as this may not be too thick and is what covers the truss rod.

Then, once you have the thickness right and along flat section, then go along and sand off the edges so that it re-profiles the neck all along.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Just a helpful hint: try picking up a hand sander to save you most of the work. Knock most of what you want down and then pull out some more sandpaper and work it down by hand and smooth it out.
I pride myself on my humility.