SET UP:
Epiphone LP Standard w/ Stock Pickups
Line 6 Spider 4 15w
Digitech rp355

RANDOM INFO:
Genre: Hard Rock, Blues, (some) Metal
Budget: 200$ (250$, but my preferance is 200$)
City: Louisville KY
Future Interest: Roland GR-55 Synthesizer, A good amp, a nice set of pickups that will play Hard Rock/Metal/Blues, Better Guitar
Favorite Musicians/Bands: Carlos Santana, The Eagles, Randy Rhoades, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin...etc. the list goes on

I've been eyeing the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Set, but I've heard alot of people tell me i need to buy EMG's

please help

THANKS!
I'm just warning you, you're gonna get a mess of posts telling you to get a new amp.
I pride myself on my humility.
P94s, or a PAF output level bucker. I wouldn't go for EMGs looking at your influences
Last edited by TrueBlues at Mar 20, 2011,
i'll look into them, i want more of a chugga chugga sound...not a twangy fender strat single coil kinda sound...

lol i know that isnt the best way to put it but...

OH and i would rather have a brighter sound than a dark & muddy sound
Seymour Duncan SH-4 (JB)?
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
i'll look into them, i want more of a chugga chugga sound...not a twangy fender strat single coil kinda sound...

lol i know that isnt the best way to put it but...

OH and i would rather have a brighter sound than a dark & muddy sound

I'd seriously look on the lower output side. Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton (I know he has a mid boost now, but that's just an onboard OD circuit), Eric Johnson, John Frusciante and many more all use lower output/vintage voiced/actual vintage pups, that way, your pickups are 'picking up,' rather than colouring, the sound of your guitar. You will also get a much more clear, less muddy tone this way.
I'm gonna replace the pickups in my Les Paul soon, and I'm probably gonna go with Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday or the PG Blues Set, or some Gibson 57 classics.
i looked into the Gibson 57 classics, i actually liked them. they sounded REALLY good...if only i could find a "Set" deal...because each pickup is like 140$ each

lol, that would mean, combined (the neck and bridge pickup of the 57 classic)...would cost almost half of my Epi Les Paul
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at Mar 21, 2011,
Yeah, I know. It's one of the bad things about modding less expensive guitars though, the parts can quite quickly end up being as valuable as the guitar.
It is a shame they don't do a set, probably earns them more money that way.
The really sad thing is that buying two 57 classics would be one of the cheapest options when going for 'name brand' humbuckers.
my suggestion would be seymour duncan 59' and a pearly gates for the bridge. that would fit u very well me thinks
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
as i've said, i've been looking into the Duncan Hot Rodded Set (JB & Jazz pickups)

they sound really good, and the set cost as much as 1 Gibson 57 Classic neck pickup...130$ for set, 140$ for a single gibson 57 (though in my opinion, the gibson 57 has a WAY better tone)

i'll look into the PAF's and that Air Classics....and the Bare Knuckles

I've thought about buying a PRS Santana SE or PRS singlecut SE...since im basically revamping my entire set up, would these pickups work well with those guitars? if i buy a set of Gibson 57's or the Duncan Hot Rod set, or DiMarzio's, would they sound as good in one of the PRS models as they would in my Epi LP?
Quote by TrueBlues
I'd seriously look on the lower output side. Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton (I know he has a mid boost now, but that's just an onboard OD circuit), Eric Johnson, John Frusciante and many more all use lower output/vintage voiced/actual vintage pups, that way, your pickups are 'picking up,' rather than colouring, the sound of your guitar. You will also get a much more clear, less muddy tone this way.
I'm gonna replace the pickups in my Les Paul soon, and I'm probably gonna go with Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday or the PG Blues Set, or some Gibson 57 classics.

I just fitted a set of Bare Knuckle hummies on one of my latest builds.........one word...........Awesome!!!!!
i like Bare Knuckles...i've heard them, they look and sound awesome....but hot damn, they're more expensive than the gibsons!

i looked into the Stormy Mondays and the PG Blues set, they sound awesome, but jeez...on the site the prices range from 104$ all the way up to 240$ just for one pickup!

i also looked into the Black Dog (since i figured it had some kinda of relation to the Led Zep song) and it was great...it was 114$ and in the demo i watched it had The Mule in the neck pickup, 114$ as well

both sounded good....i didnt realize there was so many different good models of pickups i could buy with this budget lol
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
i like Bare Knuckles...i've heard them, they look and sound awesome....but hot damn, they're more expensive than the gibsons!

i looked into the Stormy Mondays and the PG Blues set, they sound awesome, but jeez...on the site the prices range from 104$ all the way up to 240$ just for one pickup!

i also looked into the Black Dog (since i figured it had some kinda of relation to the Led Zep song) and it was great...it was 114$ and in the demo i watched it had The Mule in the neck pickup, 114$ as well

both sounded good....i didnt realize there was so many different good models of pickups i could buy with this budget lol

Yup, I spent about $340 on my HSS set of Bareknuckles, and it was the best $340 I ever spent, these pickups will stay with me for the rest of my life, that's how good they are.

Plus, their warranty on them is great, if something breaks with the pickup, you can send it in and they will fix it free of charge.
I use a dimarzio PAF pro (neck) and Evolution (bridge) setup that might work for you.

the paf pro is nice and thick has a good warm sound to it while the evo has a brighter more sustain and is pretty hot... the evolution is a vai model pickup... i think they only sell evo 2's now though... cant comment on them.
oh, my bad....ACTUALLY...bare knuckle pickups cost me well over 160-300$ per pickup...i didnt notice that the site had Euro's not USD lol...as cool as they are, i think it wouldnt be right if i put such high class pickups in a dinky little Epi Les Paul lol

but they are on the right track of what im looking for, i do like how the actually vintage type pickups of bare knuckles, actually sound vintage, which is what im looking for (just not at that price)
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by quiltface
I use a dimarzio PAF pro (neck) and Evolution (bridge) setup that might work for you.

the paf pro is nice and thick has a good warm sound to it while the evo has a brighter more sustain and is pretty hot... the evolution is a vai model pickup... i think they only sell evo 2's now though... cant comment on them.

My first explorer had the Evolution in the bridge position and The Breed in the neck position. Turns out to be a great combo.
the evo is a nice pickup i had it in a jackson kelly and i moved it and the paf to an ibanez rg and put Bill Lawrence 500XL's in the kelly and added a Dimarz Heavy Blues 2 in the middle on the ibanez.

The 500 are a very nice pickup as well... maybe the XL might be too much for your style but maybe the 500R and 500L might work better for you... and they are very inexpensive i think i paid $50 a piece for mine.
alright, so what would be the best set to get from DiMarzio? The PAF and the Evolution (PAF in neck and Evo in bridge, or vice versa)?
from the site, after filling out a few random list of questions, they say the best pickups to buy, for me, is the PAF 36th anniversary set, with both neck and bridge pickup

may i also add that i love to do pinch harmonics.....i dont know if its possible to do good pinchs with vintage pickups, but if you all could factor that in, that would be great...if theres no way to get good pinchs with vintage pickups...then dont factor it in, id rather get the vintages
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at Mar 23, 2011,
DiMarzio Super Distortion
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
would this set work?

Gibson 57 Classic-Neck
Duncan Pro Slash-Bridge

would that give me a good vintage tone, or would i be best to just go with the 2 gibson classics, or the dimarzio's
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at Mar 23, 2011,