I recently purchased a Boss AC-3 acoustic simulator pedal, and while it's not a true acoustic sound, it's pretty close if I tweak the settings right (playing through a hollowbody). My only complaint is that it hisses pretty bad, but I've read that it sounds less hissy if played through a mixer into a PA. I was wondering if the hiss was attributed to some characteristic of the electric guitar amp (Vox AC15) and if I could reduce the hiss by using an acoustic guitar amp.

My other option would be to get a noise reducer to help reduce the hiss (or I've heard you can use a DI box to a speaker??) I have a nylon string guitar and it sounds fine, I just don't want to carry it around every time a song calls for an acoustic part. I think 1 out of every 12 songs I play is on acoustic guitar, so if I can avoid hauling an extra guitar and having to juggle guitars between songs (or even in the same song), I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
The main difference between acoustic and electric amps, is that an acoustic amp uses less gain in the preamp. Most acoustic guitars have active, amplified electronics, so using a high gain amp, like an electric, causes severe feedback. As I've already mentioned, electric amps, by comparison, use higher gain circuits, since most electric guitars have passive electronics.

You can try using a DI, but I seriously doubt it will remove the hiss. My guess is the hiss is an artifact of the pedal's electronics. Don't use a DI between the amp and speaker. You can try using a Boss NS-2 after the AC-3. It should cut the hiss.
I always just plug my acoustic straight into the PA. Why add other things into the chain to introduce extra noise when all you want is a clean accurate amplification of what is coming out of the piezo pickup? Just plug it into the PA and be done with it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd be willing to bet that it's hissing so much because it's a Boss pedal. I love Boss pedals, and almost all of mine are Boss. But they are really loud. An NS-2 will sort you out, or an ISP Decimator if you want to spend that much.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Oh, I misread sorry. You are using an electric guitar through a simulator pedal? Ignore what I said.
You don't want to carry an extra guitar to gigs? I haven't played without at least three guitars on stage for years and years. I have one in standard, one in drop D and one in open G. I often have an acoustic as well, so that's four.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah when I play my nylon, I plug straight into the PA and it sounds fine, but as far as carrying an extra guitar, we always move all of our stuff in the bed of my truck - a full drum kit, bass head and cab, PA speakers, a mixer, guitar amp, bass guitar, my main electric guitar and a back up, a pedalboard that is too big for its own good, a keyboard, and 2 monitors, plus mics and cables... room runs out really quick, so while I'd like to take my nylon, sometimes its not that convenient, especially since its pretty fragile compared to the other stuff...

I'll try the NS2 and see if that helps.. I was hoping that the hissing was due to the high gain of the electric amp and that an acoustic amp would be more appropriate... I like some boss pedals, the space echo for example, awesome, but I don't know why they made an acoustic pedal that has the potential to be awesome and is instead bogged down by volume and hissing/distortion issues... oh well thanks again guys =)
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Quote by cheeekens
but I don't know why they made an acoustic pedal that has the potential to be awesome and is instead bogged down by volume and hissing/distortion issues... oh well thanks again guys =)

they do that too often. they even used to have good/acceptable pedals that they have made to suck overtime just to streamline the parts list. for example, all the diodes on a DS-1 are zener diodes, just so that they can have one supply of diodes when making that pedal and save on parts cost (actually i am assuming that, but i can't really think of another reason).

we bought new diodes and LED's from radio shack and it they sounded way better in the clipping section than the stock zeners. you upgrade buffer and the tonestack and you have a pretty damn nice pedal after that too.

i am sure you AC-3 is similar. if you like the basic sound you could learn the circuit, upgrade a few parts and have a 'less noisy' and stronger sounding pedal.

edit: have you tried the AC-3 on another amp to see if it was noisy on a friends amp? or take it to a guitar shop and see if it sounds 'clean' on anything at all? i'd do that first to at least isolate the problem.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 21, 2011,
I did try it on a few amps at guitar center and the hiss did vary from amp to amp and from single coil to humbucker... I play it through my Vox AC15 and it has a chime-y sound that is prevalent even when I play my nylon string through it, so I'm sure the amp is contributing a little (or a lot) to the hiss/distortion.

As for the AC3, it sounds almost fine using the bridge pickup on my strat, but if the pick attack/strumming is too hard/fast or the volume's a bit high, it starts to distort and hiss again... I'm hoping to go back to GC sometime this week and try using a noise suppressor with the AC3; if's there's a simple solution, good, if not, I'll return it and put that money towards an acoustic amp for my nylon string. The whole point of me getting this pedal was so that I would only have to hold one guitar during a set. If I'm going to have to switch between my beloved humbucking hollowbody and my single-coil strat just to get the best sound out of the AC3, I'd rather switch to the nylon guitar and leave my strat behind. I'm not a big fan of switching guitars between songs because I'm clumsy and I have to re-EQ my amp depending on the guitar. =P

Good point on switching out the parts on the DS-1... I've noticed a lot of their "just average" sounding pedals sound awesome after switching out parts and mods (e.g keeley mods, analogman mods). Thanks again =)