Page 1 of 2
I have a question (mainly aimed at the gear nuts on this site) - Would you still play guitar if you were only allowed to play a sub £200 Squire/Epiphone and an amp worth around £250?

Since I haven't been playing very long (only a year and a half or so), to me a guitar is a guitar is a guitar, and I don't tend to be too fussed about tone and gear and whatnot, providing the guitar I'm using is playable.

So to those who have current gear setups of over £1000, would you still play guitar if your equipment was far more limited, not so much that you could no longer gig with, but just not nearly as good quality as your current gear?
Yeah man, music is not about your gear, it's about the feel, the vibe, the whole package of enlightenment with 6 strings of perfect harmony mmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn..........
Yeah,

I have just sold or selling my entire £3k rig and will be left with an upgraded 8 year old £360 Epiphone Explorer.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I have a fairly decent set up. If I were suddenly limited to cheaper gear, you bet I'd still play.
id still play assuming it was still playable also considering i mod EVERYTHING i would find a way to enjoy even the cheapest of guitars(unless it goes out of tune alot then that would piss me off)
Why the hell wouldn't I? Guitar is much more than just the gear you use. Sure good stuff helps but still...
I would if the gear had a proper setup.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Out of interest then, what makes you want to spend (just imo) ridiculous amounts of money on guitar? Especially if,
Quote by Lord_Doku
music is not about your gear, it's about the feel, the vibe, the whole package of enlightenment with 6 strings of perfect harmony mmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn..........

(made me laugh )
Where's the poll?

But yeah, of course i would.
It sounds and feels good to have nice equipment, but the most enjoyable thing is the act of guitar playing itself.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
duh. i do that now...going with used prices haha. i love the tones i get and im not looking to upgrade anytime soon except to maybe get the Tube Vypyr
Quote by Linkerman
Where's the poll?

But yeah, of course i would.
It sounds and feels good to have nice equipment, but the most enjoyable thing is the act of guitar playing itself.

I didn't really feel a poll was necessary since I more or less knew everyone was going to say yes, what I'm interested in is how people justify spending quite so much on guitar alone, I do enjoy playing but I also acknowledge that there are far more things in my life that deserve more attention/money than what to me is just a hobby.
Obviously I can understand spending money on something if being a musician is your main source of income, but otherwise it just seems unnecessary
Quote by TheBlackening91
Out of interest then, what makes you want to spend (just imo) ridiculous amounts of money on guitar? Especially if,

(made me laugh )

I'll answer for myself I can't answer for anyone else. Playing better guitars lets me further match the sound I hear in my head to the sound I get coming out of the guitar. Playing lower quality guitars is ok, but it's a lot more fun with things sound the way you want them to. Nonetheless, if I was limited to only lower quality guitars, I'd still play because playing something is better than nothing.
Quote by obeythepenguin
£250? That's more than four and a half times what my current amp cost! (And that one sounds considerably better than the more expensive ones I used to have.)

Anyway, Squier guitars really aren't that bad; they're pretty solidly built, and they seem to stay in tune. Give 'em a decent setup, find the right tone settings, and they're pretty solid. I'd assume the same is true for Epiphone, though I haven't played many. And considering some of the gear I already own, being stuck on a Squier wouldn't bother me at all.

I guess the £250 accounts for the fact that it would be an amp capable of gigging, but wouldn't be valued too highly as a great amp - such as a Line 6 Spider 2 150 watt
No, I'm actually a gigantic elitist and audiophile, so I would cut one of my fingers off for each piece of equipment I lost.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Yeah. I played with a $100 Dean and a 10watt amp valued around $50 for about 2 years. 2 YEARS. At the time, they sounded amazing :/.
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
lol ofcourse i would still play. Who needs expensive gear to play at all? talk about materialistic plus modern cheap guitars arent completely horrible.
Quote by TheBlackening91
Obviously I can understand spending money on something if being a musician is your main source of income, but otherwise it just seems unnecessary

It's completely normal for people to spend their money on stuff they enjoy, even if it's unrelated to their job/source of income.

Why do some people spend lots of money on state-of-the-art home cinema equipment?
Why do some people spend lots of money on top-of-the-line bicycles and bike equipment, if they're not professional bike riders?

If you appreciate a nice guitar, or a nice amp, and you can afford it, why not?
Even if it's a hobby, if it gives you pleasure it's understandable.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Ok, thanks for your replies everyone, but to be honest only 1 person has really answered the question I asked properly.

So far everyone has said yes, and said why it's okay to play cheap instruments, but only 1 person has actually said why it's necessary for them to play instruments worth 5 times as much.

Basically, I get that you enjoy playing guitar and that's fair enough, but why is it so compulsory that you spend so much on guitar if ultimately it's not that important?
It would certainly be frustrating but I'd make due.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by TheBlackening91

(made me laugh )

just casue you can live on rice and beans doesnt mean you wont eat steak when you can

what im saying is that the minimum amount of gear is playable but it feels and sounds alot better to have a nice guitar and amp and some cool pedal and effect
I think tone is important. You could be a fantastic guitarist, but if you have crappy gear that's not capable of achieving a desirable tone, then it's not as fun. I think it's possible to still love to play, but if you take your music career seriously, then I'd look for better gear.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by Linkerman
It's completely normal for people to spend their money on stuff they enjoy, even if it's unrelated to their job/source of income.

Why do some people spend lots of money on state-of-the-art home cinema equipment?
Why do some people spend lots of money on top-of-the-line bicycles and bike equipment, if they're not professional bike riders?

If you appreciate a nice guitar, or a nice amp, and you can afford it, why not?
Even if it's a hobby, if it gives you pleasure it's understandable.

I guess so, but guitar seems to cost so much money just to afford equipment that people actually care about and to me seems to be one of the most expensive 'hobbies' that anyone can pick up.
Its not compulsory.

I bought hugely expensive gear because for a period I had a large dispoable income, I bought guitars that were expensive for a number of reasons.

1 - The build quality of high end guitars is flawless, proffessional and they will last a life time.
2 - I wanted to.
3 - the prestige of owning a top end guitar, a name can mean alot to some peolpe.
4 - I wanted to.
5 - They sound incredible, they use high quality woods and its a difference you really can hear.
6 - They feel better, nice necks, better designs and closer attention to detail.
7 - I wanted to.
8 - They can look beautiful, nice wood, brilliant finishes.
9 - Guitars can have their own personalities, especially hand finished ones, unlike mass produced guitars.
10 - I wanted to.

Its not that expensive a musical hoby, guitar is really one of the Cheapest instruments to get into.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by TheBlackening91
Ok, thanks for your replies everyone, but to be honest only 1 person has really answered the question I asked properly.

So far everyone has said yes, and said why it's okay to play cheap instruments, but only 1 person has actually said why it's necessary for them to play instruments worth 5 times as much.

Basically, I get that you enjoy playing guitar and that's fair enough, but why is it so compulsory that you spend so much on guitar if ultimately it's not that important?

Tone is important... When you play music, the act itself is to make nice sounds. Nice gear makes better sound.
A squier in an MG sounds good, but a Gibson in an Orange sounds better =)
I don't really understand the point of this question? Not to mention you can get pretty good guitars and amps for that price if you find the right deal.

Of course I'd still play; I was pretty happy using my Vypyr 15 ($100) before I got my JSX combo ($700), and my main guitars are an Ibanez RG570 ($400) and RG7421 ($350)
Quote by Tom 1.0
Its not compulsory.

I bought hugely expensive gear because for a period I had a large dispoable income, I bought guitars that were expensive for a number of reasons.

1 - The build quality of high end guitars is flawless, proffessional and they will last a life time.
2 - I wanted to.
3 - the prestige of owning a top end guitar, a name can mean alot to some peolpe.
4 - I wanted to.
5 - They sound incredible, they use high quality woods and its a difference you really can hear.
6 - They feel better, nice necks, better designs and closer attention to detail.
7 - I wanted to.
8 - They can look beautiful, nice wood, brilliant finishes.
9 - Guitars can have their own personalities, especially hand finished ones, unlike mass produced guitars.
10 - I wanted to.

Its not that expensive a musical hoby, guitar is really one of the Cheapest instruments to get into.

this x38/

if you buy quality you only buy it once.

guitar is alot cheaper than say.. cars. or motorcycles. hell my bicycle cost me 5 grand.
Quote by TheBlackening91
I guess so, but guitar seems to cost so much money just to afford equipment that people actually care about and to me seems to be one of the most expensive 'hobbies' that anyone can pick up.

Not really.

I've been getting into the BTT world recently (particularly the cross-country and freeride styles), and you'd be amazed with the amounts of money involved.
And even when you own a really nice bike, you tend to keep investing money in it, upgrading it with all the latest technologies...
In the last couple of weeks, i've seen bikes that cost more than 1500€ out of the store loaded with more than 2000€ worth of equipment. Add to that all the rider gear and accessories (a good helmet, for example, costs more than 150€...), and you're spending an awful lot.

Also, i have close friends in the amateur motocross and motoquad circuits, and people involved in those circles also spend obscene amounts of money.

Photography, for example, is another extremely expensive hobby.
Building and keeping a top-tier desktop gaming computer up-to-date is also extremely expensive.

There are LOTS of really expensive hobbies.
If you like guitars, amps and equipment so much, the desire to own nice stuff it's completely understandable... Especially when that stuff may help you nail those tones you seek.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by TheBlackening91

My other hobby is working on cars. Guitars are CHEAP compared to that.
I've been playing my Ibanez GSA60 for 8 years now, with and without an amp. My current "gigging" amp is a Jet City for 300 pounds.

So yeah.

Thanks to wonderful things like CNC and slave child labour, you can have fairly decent quality instruments for much lower prices than ever before. Even the most generic chinese strat copy we have today is probably better than the stuff you could get for the same price in the 1960's.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by TheBlackening91

Play golf much? My other main hobby is scuba diving. Talk about expensive gear.

edit: btw, my violin cost $5,000 and is an "advanced student" model. The pro line from that luthier starts at 12K. Guitar is not so expensive.
Last edited by BlockFour at Mar 20, 2011,
Yes I would, but I would feel quite limited and would be bummed when my gear kept constantly breaking...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by BlockFour
Play golf much? My other main hobby is scuba diving. Talk about expensive gear.

edit: btw, my violin cost $5,000 and is an "advanced student" model. The pro line from that luthier starts at 12K. Guitar is not so expensive.

Yeah I play golf, I'm only a junior member for the time being (which is £150 a year) and my golf clubs themselves cost me £150

I'm sure if I payed for a £2000 set of clubs my handicap would go down a little, but spending more just isn't worth the gain
Quote by robodude789
yeah thats like alot more than my current rig cost... planning on updating soon, its incredble how crappy my amp sounds now compared to before.. =/

Getting a better amp oe guitar is never a bad idea. Just give yourself a realistic budget based on your actual needs.
EDIT:

Quote by TheBlackening91
Yeah I play golf, I'm only a junior member for the time being (which is £150 a year) and my golf clubs themselves cost me £150

I'm sure if I payed for a £2000 set of clubs my handicap would go down a little, but spending more just isn't worth the gain

Exactly does someone who plays with their friends on the weekend really need a couple of thousand dollar rig?

Not really you probably can get into something for a lot less that would meet that need.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Mar 20, 2011,
Page 1 of 2