I'm choosing between the the Fender Mini '57 Twin Amp and the Marshall MS-2. I saw the Fender yesterday at my local Best Buy, but it was used and costs about $62 ( which is around $40, more or less at Musician's Friend). I saw the Marshall in School of Rock and found out the name today, lol . It looks pretty cheap, and the reviews for both the Marshall and the Fender were good. I just wanna know a few things before I make my decision: Which is louder, which has better distortion, and a better tone? I know it's a mini amp, and it isn't like a regular sized one, but I want it to be somewhat loud. I want distortion because I use a ton of it, and I play Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, and some other hard rock/metal songs. Finally, I want the one with the better tone because I don't want whatever I play sounding worse than it already is, haha. Any help would be appreciated.

Last, for anyone who owns it/has owned it, how does palm muting sound good with the distortion? I hate how it sounds with a little/none at all.

I have the AC30 model and it's great, and I've heard good things about the whole line. Plus you can plug the "head" straight into your input and use headphones with it.

Although if you have to have the speaker for that price you're better off just coughing up the cash for a 15 watt modeling amp unless that's too big for your needs.

The MS-2, being substantially cheaper than the infamous MG series of Marshalls, is also substantially crappier. It's got thin and buzzy overdrive and you're mostly paying for the Marshall nameplate.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by Helicopters!

I have the AC30 model and it's great, and I've heard good things about the whole line. Plus you can plug the "head" straight into your input and use headphones with it.

Although if you have to have the speaker for that price you're better off just coughing up the cash for a 15 watt modeling amp unless that's too big for your needs.

Ohhh yeah I've read about this. So does the metal one have good distortion?

Oh, and I've got a 15 watt amp, the Spider IV. I like it, but it's a pain to take anywhere.
Last edited by xShade at Mar 20, 2011,
It's got volume, tone, and gain controls.

And from what I've heard, pretty good distortion. A little fizzy, but for $40 it's not bad. The cab will run you another $30 which is why I suggested just looking into something like your Spider if you needed the cab since it's a little pricey just for a micro amp.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Mar 20, 2011,