What's wrong? If I have any distortion at all they start to do that. It was one of the prewired pickguards. I plan on replacing it, but while I'm waiting for money I want to get it to stop.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
It's just microphonic feedback. Use less gain.

If I barely have any it has feedback. Less gain than AC/DC.
back your pickups off the strings some.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by the_perdestrian
don't stand so close to your amp.

Even when I'm standing 50 feet from it I get the feedback.
Quote by kurt_cobain9
back your pickups off the strings some.

They are as far away from the strings as possible. Like Eddie Van Halen.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
If all else fails, you need to wax pot your pickups. The problem you are having is small parts of your pickup vibrating which gets into the signal and feeds back.

Would that be hard or expensive to do?
like all of the gfs pickups are wax potted already, maybe you didnt ground them right or something?
Quote by SKArface McDank
like all of the gfs pickups are wax potted already, maybe you didnt ground them right or something?

It's grounded right, and it's been doing this since they were put in.
Why don't you shoot the guys at Guitar Fetish an email and see what they say? Hell, if it hasn't been too long they might replace them for you.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
Why don't you shoot the guys at Guitar Fetish an email and see what they say? Hell, if it hasn't been too long they might replace them for you.

I did that, they asked the order number and what pickups they are. I answered, but they haven't replied in at least a week. I don't know if they just don't want to have to replace anything or if they just don't take care of their customers. Either way, it doesn't make me happy. I planned on ordering a new bridge, neck, and more pickups from them, but now I'm not sure about that.
Do you realize that the pickups in the GFS pre-wired pickguards are not GFS? I don't know what's wrong with your pickup, but I'm quite sure it is no a "GFS pickups problem".
I've bought things from them (tuners, bridge, nut, pedals, etc.) and they are perfectly fine. I wouldn't consider "not buying from them" based on a non-GFS crappy pickup that turned out to be not working properly; although you are right to be angry at the fact that they didn't answer your mail.
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
Quote by DarkLordArthur
Do you realize that the pickups in the GFS pre-wired pickguards are not GFS? I don't know what's wrong with your pickup, but I'm quite sure it is no a "GFS pickups problem".
I've bought things from them (tuners, bridge, nut, pedals, etc.) and they are perfectly fine. I wouldn't consider "not buying from them" based on a non-GFS crappy pickup that turned out to be not working properly; although you are right to be angry at the fact that they didn't answer your mail.

I thought they were cheap pickups that they made for the pickguards. That changes some things, but the email thing still isn't something I like, and makes me wonder about them. I just don't see why they can't send a 2 minute reply telling me how to fix it or that they will send me new pickups.
You need to pot it. Although the should come pre-potted they aren't always done completely. I am currently potting a Dimarzio Super Distortion for a buddy as it's gone microphonic. If this is the only pickup you're gonna pot, i would suggest taking it to a guitar shop to do it. The wax alone will set you back $20 and you will have lots of it left over.

If you do decide to wax your own pickups. Put the wax in a mason jar and put said jar in a boiling pot of water. Monitor the temperature of the wax with a candy thermometer until it is just under 150 degrees, any hotter and you risk melting the bobbin or coil. Dip the pickup into the wax. The first time you do it, you will notice wax build up, don't worry though. Once the pickup warms up it will melt. Watch the air bubbles come out of the pickup. It can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes for the wax to penetrate the whole coil and have all air bubbles come out. After you stop seeing most air bubbles coming out, pull it out of the wax and onto a paper towel. Use another towel to wipe excess wax of the top and bobbin. Let the pickup cooldown to normal temperature before use and installation.

Good luck to you post any questions you have
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
This is strange. I raised the pickups a bit and somehow it went away. I don't have any idea what happened, but there is no more microphonic feedback anymore. But if I still had it, I would just buy a new pickup. The GFS pickups are mostly $20-35, and those are an improvement from the pickups in the prewired pickgaurds (I guess those aren't even GFS!).
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Was the spring just not pressed against the pickgaurd, thus rattling, thus making feedback?

Not sure.