Hey UG-users,

A couple months back I posted a thread ranting about how bad my Epi SG was and what not. I won't go into the logistic of it, but essentially the thing is B**** to maintain and drains my wallet faster than the pump. I've finally had enough of it, and I'm looking for just a couple suggestions on what a good intermediate electric guitar would be.

I listen to a variety of rock genres, from prog rock like Foo Fighters to thrash like Metallica and Lamb Of God, and lots of Alternative band like 10 years and Alter Bridge, and then everthing in between. I'd like a guitar with a lot of versatility, from chilling with an awesome clean sound (with chorus and reverb, of course) to super-powered, melt-ur-face-off distortion.

Another huge thing for me is intonation and being easy to work with, in both in a playing and setup sense. I usually do my own setups, and I hate taking it into the shop to get it professionally done cuz it's never worth the money (and probably not worth their time).

It would also be nice to have a guitar that will last a lot longer than most. Price-wise, I'm thinking I want to spend anywhere between $400-$800, excluding extra stuff like a hardshell case. I've already decided I'm going to trade in the Epi. What I don't know is how much it's worth, but I'll worry about later.

I know that nothing beats going in and playing anything and everything you can get your hands on and letting the guitar choose you, but any suggestions might make it easier for me to find the right one. Thanks in advance!
Do you have a brand or neck shape/thickness preference? Without that there's just way too many guitars to recommend.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
MIM HSS Strat. Doesnt get any better than that
Just stick a Hot Humbucker in the bridge and some Cleaner pickups in the neck and middle and you will have the most versatile guitar in existence. I know mine is. And after the pickup install you will still be in your price range.
Last edited by jdrier21 at Mar 20, 2011,
if you dig the silverburst, the gibson les paul studio silverburst.

it has a thinner neck than most gibsons (60s neck profile)
coil tapping
very articulate through high gain amps like the 6505+
I find that my hand will really start to hurt after playing chords on my strat for a while, but maybe that's just cuz of the chords. I'd like a neck that is thin enough to be comfortable when playing fast, but thick enough where changes in position and the force of gravity won't kill the tuning. The SG neck is so flimsy its unbelievable. Also, I hate the top-heaviness of the SG. It makes playing standing up a little awkward, and a little frustrated if you can't get it just right. As far as brand names go, the first one I'm going to look at is ESP/LTD. My friend owns a MH-400 with a blue finish and Floyd Ross Trem. Not so keen on the blue finish, but I definitely think it's an option. I'm just not that big of a fan of the strat shape. I find it a little unoriginal.
How about an EC-400 or a Viper-400? Although I don't know if the Viper has neck dive or not, I've never played one.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
How about an EC-400 or a Viper-400? Although I don't know if the Viper has neck dive or not, I've never played one.

The Viper has a slight neck dive issue though it's not as bad compared to the Epi and Gibby SG's.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Mar 22, 2011,
I'm in the market for an upgrade too. I'll be getting the Ibanez ART 320. I love the way it plays and feels and it has great reviews, especially for playing the groups you listed.
I would recommend a Les Paul shaped guitar or something similar, just because of the amount of wood that gives you sustain and a warm tone.
A Strat ou Super Start is not so versatile in my opinion.
Check out some high end LTD's, or something from PRS within your budget.

I would not recommend active pickups acordinf to your taste. Just pick something with good passives (like Seymour Duncan's).

Rock On Dude.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
I'm about to part company with my Epi SG, I just don't like the feel and balance of it, it's top heavy so I'm constantly trying to keep the neck up! I'm gutted about it, I love the sound, the look but hate playing it.

I picked up a new Fender Strat HH and it's very good, it fits like a glove and with the five switch positions you can get just about every sound you fancy.
Quote by NHECOS
I would recommend a Les Paul shaped guitar or something similar, just because of the amount of wood that gives you sustain and a warm tone.
A Strat ou Super Start is not so versatile in my opinion.
Check out some high end LTD's, or something from PRS within your budget.

I would not recommend active pickups acordinf to your taste. Just pick something with good passives (like Seymour Duncan's).

Rock On Dude.

I was thinking something along those lines. I'm not quite so sure about the active vs passive pickups. I always thought active was better, but I've never really looked for a difference between the two. I will consider it, tho.
oh, one other question. What about fret sizes? Up until know, I've never even known there was a difference. From the info I gave up top, what would anyone suggest? Or a link to a sight with general info about fret sizes.
in that price range you can get a nice strat. i recommend one with a humbucker for you. they sound great in all settings/styles. very versitile with great tone
Quote by okokel
oh, one other question. What about fret sizes? Up until know, I've never even known there was a difference. From the info I gave up top, what would anyone suggest? Or a link to a sight with general info about fret sizes.

It doesn't really matter that much - more just personal preference of feel, than anything. Smaller frets will generally give your fingers more contact wit the fretboard during bends, etc. Taller frets are generally better for metal, because there's less chance of string contact with the fretboard, so you can play "faster" etc. Chances are the guitar you'll get, based off of what you've been looking at, will have some kind of Jumbo frets anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Finally found some time to go check out my local guitar dealer. They did have an Ltd EC-401 in white. From the few minutes I played on it, it felt a lot better than the SG, but I wasn't a fan of the white. I expected it to be pure, but it looks more like worn white/cream, which is the same as my Strat. I was very disappointed with the selection of ESP/Ltd guitars they had tho, so if I want anything else, it's going to have to be purchased online. I also looked at the PRS SE Nick Catanese and was equally pleased with it. I also found this one on Musician's Friend.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401-Electric-Guitar-with-Floyd-Rose-Bridge-?sku=476286

Good reviews for it, but does anyone have any other opinions on it?