Page 1 of 2
I was thinking today, I haven't see many people actually talk about the blues.
So I was wondering what you guys think about them.
I personally love the blues with a passion, I can't stand not listening to it for long periods.
What are your likes or dislikes or both about them?

TL;DR
ITT: Blues discussion
Quote by strat0blaster
Life is like a box of.... like a bowl of cher.... What you make....

Rainbows are fantastic? I don't know what metaphor to use here...

Quote by A bear
Most species frown upon eating humans.
The blues are everything.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
God damn emos.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
God damn rivers that cause dangerous flooding.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
i luv blues u should listen to the black keys they are so bluesy i luv it

Yeah there's a blues forums. And to be clear, I love the Black Keys, just hate it when people think they're blues fans by liking them.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
I suppose that for some it might be too slow and predictable, being as old as it is. I absolutely love it though, it's one of those genres that just allows for tons of soul and emotion to shine through.
Everybody plays the blues, it's just most people don't realize that their all mighty heavy metal is rooted to the blues.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Yes, blues is the way. All my playing will always have some kind of blues roots to it regardless though even if it isn't blues.

I like all of it, delta blues from back in the day or more modern artists like the black keys. If you wanna hear some really good country blues then you should look up a film called 'the land where the blues began' by Alan Lomax.
Quote by Jostry
Everybody plays the blues, it's just most people don't realize that their all mighty heavy metal is rooted to the blues.

Just because it's rooted in it doesn't mean you're playing it. It'd kill myself before I even try to play the blues.

Metal is the only real music these days...
Quote by trueamerican
All rock/metal has blues/jazz roots to it. Satriani plays all blues/jazz based rock.

That may be so, but having roots in something =/= being that something.
Death metal is hardly blues/jazz, despite having developed from it.
I like it. I don't really listen to it as much anymore, but my Electric guitar style of playing is still very classic rock/blues. I still enjoy it when it's on. Especially Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Everything started from blues. Well Jazz really, but blues is a part of jazz in my book.
Blues is EVERYTHING to me. Not all blues is I IV V progressions guys. Country music is just blues with twang and a redneck singing. Metal came from somewhere it wasn't born overnight. If anything, most metal bands have the same ol' progessions just like everyone else...

Yeah, one of my best purchases I ever did was when i bought a glass slide for my guitar. Open chord tuning slide with a solid drum beat and slappin bass line. Pure ecstacy.
Quote by zipmike
I sucked my grandma's dick for a dollar when I was 8.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Blues sucks. Metal is soo much better, kinda like how Dragonite is 1000X better than Dratini.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Just because it's rooted in it doesn't mean you're playing it. It'd kill myself before I even try to play the blues.

Metal is the only real music these days...

0/10

Try harder, subtlety is the key.
Quote by RU Experienced?
0/10

Try harder, subtlety is the key.

In the key of a minor. Like every shit blues song written.
Quote by Gabel
Quote by ripple07
In the key of a minor. Like every shit blues song written.

Rebuttle:
power chords, power chords, powerchords=metal
Quote by zipmike
Quote by RU Experienced?
Yup, all the great blues songs are written in E

Hahaa ya, for the longest time i only needed two harps.
Quote by zipmike
Quote by mastershake575
Rebuttle:
power chords, power chords, powerchords=metal

Rebuttal:

You spelled "rebuttal" wrong.
I like Robert Johnson, and a bunch of blues-influenced stuff. Gets a bit samey quite quickly though, I think, as does any music that dependent on tradition.

Also, my parents were huge blues fans and took me to blues festivals as a kid, so almost all electric blues makes me think of sitting on a collapsible chair for 12 hours watching ageing hippies play the same fucking progression all day.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by larrytheguitar
i luv blues u should listen to the black keys they are so bluesy i luv it.

Quote by larrytheguitar
Yeah there's a blues forums. And to be clear, I love the Black Keys, just hate it when people think they're blues fans by liking them.

Quote by Meelad360
Rebuttal:

You spelled "rebuttal" wrong.

Me so sorry. Me make D en inglish
Quote by zipmike
Quote by The Madcap
I like it. I don't really listen to it as much anymore, but my Electric guitar style of playing is still very classic rock/blues. I still enjoy it when it's on. Especially Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Me too.
I don't think anyone on this forum is black enough to play true blues music...
I pride myself on my humility.
I play blues a lot. but I find it really hard to listen to any kind of guitar music and not go, "hey look, blues"

well except for uber rhythmic metal. like the stuff where yu have 5 guys playing some ridiculous staccato rhythm perfectly in sync. I hate that stuff. its impress as hell, but its really annoying

/off topic
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Zoot Allures

He aint no Lightnin' Hopkins. A minor is for the byrds.
Quote by Gabel
I dont play the blues....I feel it.

What kind of silly question is that TS
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
When I´m down, I play the blues backwards.

Then I get out of jail, my girlfriend comes back to me and I suddenly have loads of money
████████████
████████████
████████████

RNLAF

I Like Planes
Quote by ripple07
He aint no Lightnin' Hopkins. A minor is for the byrds.

-___-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYrVwGxlcFA

A minor (or maybe g minor? ) And John Lee Hooker is / was a total badass.

edit: but i agree, E is at least one of the go to blues keys :P , although i'm biased since when i started learning guitar that's all i could play in for ages, everything was one chord and in E minor. It got so bad all the fret board was worn down on the first blues position in E, 2nd and 3rd frets >_>
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by mtshark
I don't think anyone on this forum is black enough to play true blues music...

Truest post ever . Noone plays the blues as pure as an 84 years old nigger.

disclaimer: I concider nigger to be a term of huge praise when it comes to ones musical abilities
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Page 1 of 2