i dont know why you would think its a fake its an epiphone for 300 bucks

but then again i dont know much about them
Most of the MIJ Epis for the local Japanese market have 2 types of open book headstock: that slightly narrower one and the Gibson version. This is not to be confused with the MIJ Epi Elitist for sale outside Japan, which has the weird headstock.

Quote by Just2Rusty
iffy about it

how so? im not really familiar with Epiphone.
it look legit to me, the epiphone logo lines up and the volume and tone knobs are in the right place and parallel with the fret board.
Quote by tatatotfolife
Possibly. I'd go for it anyway though, it looks nice.

it's not all about looks. if it is a fake it's most likely a worthlessly unplayable horrendous sounding piece of crap. not only that, it's illegal. fakes should be disposed of to keep them off the market.

i think epiphone started making les pauls in 1988, and it's easily possible that the earlier models had a different headstock.

it's quite hard to tell from the picture but it seems legitimate to me - fake epiphones that are floating around nowadays are most likely to have the current headstock in order to make people less suspicious of them.

@supersac: your post is exactly why they make fake epiphones - because nobody suspects that anyone would make a counterfeit of a cheap guitar.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Can you get the serial number?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Can you get the serial number?

that's a problem firstly because the format of the serial number was probably very different in 1989 and secondly because a serial number can easily be duplicated - it's not as if it's a barcode or anything like that.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Looks fake to me...
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
I would like to say fake, could be wrong. If what I can make is correct and the truss rod cover says Gibson, and it clearly says Epiphone on the headstock, something doesn't seem right about it.
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Quote by lefthandedkid
I would like to say fake, could be wrong. If what I can make is correct and the truss rod cover says Gibson, and it clearly says Epiphone on the headstock, something doesn't seem right about it.

many older epiphones had gibson on the truss rod cover. this was standard at one time.
The early Epi's also had the Gibson shaped headstock like this one.