If time travel was possible, where are the time travelers going back in time? This only leads us to 2 conclusions.

a.) time travel is not possible

b.) we do not live long enough to find out how to time travel

So doesn't this prove that we'll never be able to time travel whether it's possible or not, and that scientists should give up? It's either not possible, or humanity will go extinct before we manage to find out how to time travel.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Last edited by Jostry at Mar 21, 2011,
There is no time travel, only inter-dimensional travel. Time is measurement of distance in this universe, the further you go towards the center of the universe, the further you go back in time, the further you go away, the further into the future you go.
Quote by Spartan101400
There is no time travel, only inter-dimensional travel. Time is measurement of distance in this universe, the further you go towards the center of the universe, the further you go back in time, the further you go away, the further into the future you go.

No. There is either time travel or no time travel. Not inter dimensional travel. What is this? 1974?
Quote by progdude93
There are way more possibilities than that. What if time travel is a privilege reserved for expertly trained and highly skilled historians who live among us in disguise? What if it's not possible to to travel back in time but it's possible to travel forward in time? What if it's only possible to travel back in time as far as the date at which the first time machine was invented but no further?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
If you traveled back in time then you would end up floating in space. People seem to forget that the earth is in constant motion.
Check out my band Disturbed
How do we know they haven't? Any time someone claims to be from the future, they're immediately thrown into an insane asylum.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
how can you guys talk about this like you or someone else knows the answer? time travel hasnt been proven possible, and it leads to more than 2 conclusions. who says you dont travel time all of the time? who says time travel involves a physical movement to another "time" what about traveling time means slowing down or speeding up your own personal perception? you only perceive time when you are reminded of time. when you sleep you are almost completely unaware of time. thats why you think you dream so long, because you kinda do in a way and in another way you dont. when you daydream you completely forget about everything but your thoughts, time seems to slow down, sometimes it seems to speed up. maybe relevant to yourself, you sped thru time. maybe relevant to others you didnt do anything.
There is no time travel into your own past. You end up with not one but two paradoxes. Paradoxes cannot logically occur, and seeing as we exist in a logical universe, it's not possible.

If the multiverse theory is correct however, you could possibly travel into the past in a parallel universe and not have any paradoxes. However this would be a voilation of the laws of thermodynamics and isn't really possible either.
Seriously. Look up Time Dilation, it's the closest we've got to time travel right now (it's not physically possible yet, just a theory)

It would allow you to go to the future (not in the typical sci-fi way), but not the past.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Maybe we moved to another planet?
lol
It is possible due to Einstein's theory of general relativity but we'd have to gravity warp a wormhole which requires a SHIIITload of energy which we can't currently produce & there are no wormholes near us and other stuff.
But timetravel as in travelling faster than the speed of light is impossible due to Einstein's Special Relativity E=MC2 nothing can travel faster than light. It just becomes too heavy.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by seeneyj
Maybe we moved to another planet?
lol
It is possible due to Einstein's theory of general relativity but we'd have to gravity warp a wormhole which requires a SHIIITload of energy which we can't currently produce & there are no wormholes near us and other stuff.
But timetravel as in travelling faster than the speed of light is impossible due to Einstein's Special Relativity E=MC2 nothing can travel faster than light. It just becomes too heavy.

If Einstein said you can lick your elbow without any broken bones/surgurys, would you believe him?
Quote by progdude93
anyone hear about that guy who blasted an atom with light and got it to reach absolute zero? actually it wasnt quite there but he got the nobel peace prize
1) Time travel is not possible

2) --------------------------------------our time line----------------------------------------
\
\
\____________Time travelers______

3) Only forwards in time OR back to when first machine is made.

4) Nobody wants to come to 1980-2011 because it sucks

5)They die upon entering our timeline by freezing and burning to death at the same time because they failed to do this in a Delorian.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by link no1
1) Time travel is not possible

2) --------------------------------------our time line----------------------------------------
\
\
\____________Time travelers______

3) Only forwards in time OR back to when first machine is made.

4) Nobody wants to come to 1980-2011 because it sucks

5)They die upon entering our timeline by freezing and burning to death at the same time because they failed to do this in a Delorian.

Lol wut?
Quote by Jostry
If Einstein said you can lick your elbow without any broken bones/surgurys, would you believe him?

They are both proven theories.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
There are a lot of paradoxes about time travel you know? For example, if someone invents a time machine to travel back in time, will he travel back in time or not due to the fact the time machine wouldn't have been invented back then?
Time is the enemy.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by Kortez3000
There are a lot of paradoxes about time travel you know? For example, if someone invents a time machine to travel back in time, will he travel back in time or not due to the fact the time machine wouldn't have been invented back then?

He could....what if everything that will ever exist in the universe in the future already exists but we have to travel forward in time to unlock its use, but once it's unlocked you can use it whenever you want?
cat
Quote by chaoticfables
But I wiped out the dinosaurs.

That's what you think

Dinosaurs are like elephants, they never forget.
cat
Time travlers could know the importance not to alter our timeline and therefore if people traveled back in time they would do so in a way that wouldn't alter the future drastically.

Or, like in DBZ, the timeline splits.
Last edited by ShaggyDan at Mar 21, 2011,
if you could travel back in time , think about it. you couldnt just turn up in a urban area. you would be discovered. the humans would learn about time travel before they were meant to, casuing a paradox meaning that the person who traveled back may not end up traveling back for some reason, meaning that we dont find out about TT, meaning he can then travel back in time where we discover TT, etc etc ultimately = paradox
so i look at it this way, TT may indeed be possibe. but there are rules that you cant go back to before TT was invented, due to the paradoxes it may cause
or time travel could be possible but it may be banned due to the unforseeable consequences it may have, surprisingly the universe is a very fragile thing

also, another thing to think about
there are partices that travel at the speed of light, yet in our world exist for fractions of a second, considereing that time dilation applies to everything. theoretically these particles would exist forever being suspended in time (being at the speed of light means time had, for all intents and purposes stopped)
so do these particles ever actually decay or do they still exist?
food for thought there
(im sorry its not explained very welly but i hope someone gets what im trying to say)
Hi, my name is Forrest and i play the Gee-tar

Current Equipment
Vintage V300 acoustic
Squier Bullet Strat
Fender FM 212R Amp
Vintage Les Paul

Next Guitar/Amp
none....... YET
I ALSO PRODUCE CRAPPY MUSIC
Twitter?
Last edited by OhNoItsHimAgain at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by Jostry
If time travel was possible, where are the time travelers going back in time? This only leads us to 2 conclusions.

a.) time travel is not possible

b.) we do not live long enough to find out how to time travel

So doesn't this prove that we'll never be able to time travel whether it's possible or not, and that scientists should give up? It's either not possible, or humanity will go extinct before we manage to find out how to time travel.

Yep, those are the ONLY two options. I have no idea how this has escaped the minds of all our greatest scientist, but it seems you have tested and proved this theory quite well.

Sorry if I sound like a dick, but nothing pisses me off more than people that think they understand something that thousands of other people (WHOSE JOB THIS IS) apparently missed...

EDIT: I just want to clarify just how stupid it is to assume time travelers should be able to just show up:

In case you haven't realized, we are moving. Aways. The earth moves very fast around the sun, not to mention the entire solar system and the goddamn galaxy for that matter is in motion. Even time traveling a minute would put you the vacuum of space or worse. The idea that you would just pop out where you were 100 years later or something is ridiculous.

Again, this may seem like a rant, but everyone out there has to have an opinion on something they have no idea about. Everyone thinks they're a better doctor, lawyer, scientist... Pisses me off...

Quote by Jostry

This, this is what I'm talking about. Stop doing that.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Last edited by Epicbizzjizz at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

In case you haven't realized, we are moving. Aways. The earth moves very fast around the sun, not to mention the entire solar system and the goddamn galaxy for that matter is in motion. Even time traveling a minute would put you the vacuum of space or worse. The idea that you would just pop out where you were 100 years later or something is ridiculous.

Again, this may seem like a rant, but everyone out there has to have an opinion on something they have no idea about. Everyone thinks they're a better doctor, lawyer, scientist... Pisses me off...

This, this is what I'm talking about. Stop doing that.

i see your point, but also, we have been able to make vehicles that can move us through space quite well, so what would stop us from making a device that could move us through time and space at the same time, also if we were travelling backwards in time, we would have records of what had happened at certain points in the past and therefore be able to make quite precise calculations as to where the earth would be.
im not saying that i think time travel is possible, but i dont believe it to be impossible either
just so highly improbable that it may as well be impossible
Hi, my name is Forrest and i play the Gee-tar

Current Equipment
Vintage V300 acoustic
Squier Bullet Strat
Fender FM 212R Amp
Vintage Les Paul

Next Guitar/Amp
none....... YET
I ALSO PRODUCE CRAPPY MUSIC
Twitter?
It means that this is the very first timeline and that anything that happens has never happened before, but time travel means that it will happen again.
Quote by Lots O' FX
There's a guy named, I shit you not, Hunter Goldhammer. I have never met him, I only heard his name over the PA, but I assume he's a dwarf paladin.

Quote by skwelcher
I'm like the real life version of the socially awkward penguin.
Time travel is possible, but this emotionless girl won't tell us because we won't understand, and this cute girl can't tell us because it's classified information.

Sucks to be us, eh?

Oh well. At least that smiley-face fellow isn't here.