sup bass forumers, it's been a while. so, i play in a death/thrash metal band with my fingers, and we're set to begin recording our first full-length album in about 2 weeks. i practice almost everyday (if i don't practice, it's almost always because i'm busy) for at least an hour or more i can/feel like it. last several months, most of it has been metronome work as i'm trying to increase my 3 finger 16th note speed. we have a lot of riff that include tremolo picked 16th notes, and typically i play 16th notes along with them (our songs are all typically between 190-230 bpm) unless i decide to do something else, maybe a steve harris gallop or 8th notes or something. when i first started doing intense 3-finger practice with a metronome (it had always been really, really sloppy before this) around december/january, i could only do it cleanly at 110 bpm and slowly building up. now, months later, am only playing some riffs cleanly at about 144 bpm, mostly the riffs 16th notes in part of it. one riff that is completely 16th notes (yeah. typical fast tremolo picked death metal riff) i can only play cleanly at about 132 bpm and after a few cycles it gets sloppy and my stamina drains. luckily, its spring break and i've gladly tossed aside my social life to devote to bass, so i have nothing but time on my hands to practice. how can i speed up this whole getting-faster-and-building-stamina process in time for my recording sesh?

tl;dr: need to build 3 finger speed and stamina for death metal band, soon to record album. been playing consistently with metronome for months. what do?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
what i did: popped in a dvd and sawed thru playing with 3 fingers the entire time concentrating on the MOVIE. that way i could play with 3 fingers and keep an even beat without thinking about it.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Some people really don't have the dexterity needed to do the three finger technique.
Although some of my tricks are:

1 don't lock down your pinky, letting it move freely helps the other fingers

2 strike the string in this order. ring, middle, then index.

3 keep the fingers close together, spreading them may screw with your rhythm.

4 If that fails then...well

There are other ways to achieve lightning speed. You can try a classical style known as Flamenco. It's achieved by using the thumb as well as the three main plucking fingers. Another benefit of Flamenco is that you don't need to move the fingers all that fast, so your hand doesn't get tired as quickly.

Flamenco goes like this:
thumb-ring-middle-index.

Practice this slow at first gradually build your speed.

If all else fails use a pick.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by COBHC_Erick429
what i did: popped in a dvd and sawed thru playing with 3 fingers the entire time concentrating on the MOVIE. that way i could play with 3 fingers and keep an even beat without thinking about it.

This is exactly what I do
Great minds eh?

I also used to get an electronic metronome and use earphones with it, then just lie on my bed playing things that challenged me until I was able to day dream and let my mind wander while staying playing in time Same principle.
Quote by COBHC_Erick429

^^^THIS^^^

OP, when you play your not thinking about your finger techniques or atleast you shouldnt be. So why think about it when you practice? Know you can do it, convince yourself you can do it, then put it into context play and you'll be able to play with 3 fingers. Start slow then crank up the speed.

Alucard817- Good call...

OP, there isnt a rule that says you have to do anything. James Jamerson could play 1/16th notes with 1 finger. Rocco Prestia, the bassist for Towner of Power plays ghosted 1/16th notes for 10 min straight with 2 fingers. Victor Wooten uses a double thumb technique to play at lightning speed. Dont feel like your obligated to pick and then use just one technique. Play whats comftorable if it's going to take you months to get your ring finger to keep perfect time is it really worth all the effort!?

In all reality most people can play just as fast if not faster with 1 finger as they can with 3. Generally the only diffrence is fatiuge, the more fingers you use the logner you can play before you start to cramp up.

here is a clip of Rocco playing, if you like his stuff. He has some how-to videos on youtube. I would recommend checking them out!

Tower of power - what is hip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puY2_cRLMbQ
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Mar 22, 2011,
I will, in essence, speed pick with one finger. I will sometimes alternate between my index and middle fingers, but I usually use the index. When I'm using one finger, I'll let the other finger float. It follows the movement of the finger doing the playing and seems to act as a counterweight, increasing endurance. After a while, your fingers will look like a blur. Half the time, my wife can't even see my fingers, only the movement. Now you know my secrets. So, I will have to kill you.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"