Hey everyone, now I've always loved metal, and listen to it quite frequently, but as a guitarist, I play blues almost exclusively. My question is, where should I start with learning the theory/fundamentals of metal? For reference, I mainly listen to Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Living Color.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Hm, I guess you could start just playing metal songs and if you see anything strange in the songs you research it and learn about it. That is what I did. And most theory is the same... I have sought for years for a Metal ONLY teaching book, but I can´t find any.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
well metal uses alot of minor scales, powerchords, more gain, also palm muted low chords to get the chug sound

aside from that its very similar to the blues just faster and more agressive usually
You know the pentatonic? Good. You're a blues player and lots of elements of blues can be found in metal! Metal is one of the easiest genres to learn. At least, the basics are. Learn the phrygian mode and the natural minor scale if you don't already know them. Other than that.......just palm muted rhythms, pedal point riffs and power chords will give you a good start.

Youtube is your friend here.
Black Sabbath is probably the band to listen to. Very generic, but still amazing.
Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden.

With those you'll pretty much learn all the basic skills you need for metal.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Okay dont listen to these guys. . they know nothing of metal.
If you want to really get a good grasping of how to play metal you need to start on necrophagist and theory in practice. Learn the songs in reverse mate, if you can play em backwards you can play em forwards twice as good and that my friend is a fact.
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Diminshed and chromatic, all you need.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by AussiePage
Black Sabbath is probably the band to listen to. Very generic, but still amazing.

Then Iron Maiden or Judas Priest followed by Metalica or Slayer.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Because everything else not goatfago and is false hippie shit. Old Black Metalist like the ones in N.Y, when Venom played way back who don't like Sick of it all cutting their hair are nothing but a pain in the butt to the SKULLS!!!

Quote by Steve08

Quote by AussiePage

You're kidding, right?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Von ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW ROW
Quote by Steve08

Quote by AussiePage
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
Play some Disgorge, the Cali band. No other metal is even worth playing. Trust me, I'm a doctor.
Quote by The Wildchild
Von is unbelievable, but not in a good way

you are indeed a false
Philosophy > Life
I would suggest that you take a short music theory course at your local college jus tso that you can learn the fundamentals.. Then, start practising like crazy and jam along to songs you like.

That's what I suggest.

ron666