Whenever I play a solo or fast riff, it's always sloppy. I've been playing for 4 years. If I'm playing the main riff of Holy Wars the Punishment Due, there's always an unwanted string or two ringing. How can I stop this?
i can sympathize i bought this well acclaimed book, from amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speed-Mechanics-Lead-Guitar-Stetina/dp/0793509629/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300698684&sr=8-3

and im just on the first page and my left hand is fingering patterns i would of never dreamed of..

I also got fed up of giving up on solos cos they were too fast and technical, but with this book a lot of time and practicing i will get good.

All weekend ive been repeating 1234 134 124 patterns up and down strings, slowly at first then getting faster, and yes i have improved!!! now im doing 1324 its hard but i can see so much improvement..!!
Look at the sticky in this forum "READ THIS STICKY (guide to all techniques)".

Section 3.2 is on muting, which is what you need to do.
Use it to your advantage. That might sound dumb but it is what really could work. Perfect music is boring, and everybody knows that.
Quote by VelvetBananas
Use it to your advantage. That might sound dumb but it is what really could work. Perfect music is boring, and everybody knows that.

That does sound somewhat dumb, yes. TS is wondering how to stop playing sloppy and you are basically saying to keep on going playing sloppy. Sloppy playing is boring.

TS, you have to slow down the the point were you can control every sound that comes out of your guitar and practice from there. Accuracy, economical movements and clean playing is everything you have to focus on, speed will come with time, speed without these 3 components are worthless though.

As Anon said, read the sticky on technique. Freepower has written down amazing advice there how to tackle problems with playing. The only way you are going to improve is being honest with yourself and slowing down when you can't play something perfectly.

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Spykerwolf
Unfortunately the only way to play something precise and accurate is to slow it down to a comfortable speed where you can play it perfectly...even if that means very very slow. Then slowly increase your speed. I'm in the same boat as you mate, also I would recommend playing with a metronome.

I use this one http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Pretty much this. Every book I've read that talks about this question usually says something along these lines. Playing slow is the only way to get you used to playing "perfect".
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
Someone Necro'd…

Urgh, you're right, i didn't even notice. Well, this thread is done.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
wanking with your opposite hand meanwhile punching your forehead ever since I've done the routine I can play on 3 strings and thats like within 1 year !
Whats goes around must come down
In addition to playing slow try this exercise with triads. I'm rough with rhythm and you have to be precise with triads others wise you hit the other strings. Get the triads down at all rhythm patterns you know then go back to playing songs.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w535/henrywriting1981/FMajorTriads_zpse4aad0b1.jpg

Go left and right for all the triad forms, with all rhythm forms you know. I'm still learning the rhythm forms but a good tutor can guide you there. Hope this helps.