I've been to many websites and several posts on UG.com about music theory and I still can't make heads or tails of it. I've tried "A Complete Idiot's Guide To Music Theory," and I'm still lost--was lost within the first three pages. I'm starting to think I'm completely hopeless when it comes to music theory, but I really don't want to be.

I'm a beginner bassist, a complete noob, and I want to learn theory from the ground, up, as I learn the bass. Can anyone recommend anything that will help? Please bear in mind that so far, I'm incredibly dense when it comes to music theory, so far. Assume I know nothing, because I honestly don't.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
"All truth is simple . . . is that not doubly a lie?" -- Friedrich Nietzsche

"If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

"Make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh!" -- Donald O'Connor
Last edited by beetlecommathe at Mar 21, 2011,
Err, for a start make the font a colour people can read, for example black.

Otherwise it's hard to tell what exactly your problem is without describing it further. I'd start by learning the names of all the notes on the fretboard, and the major and minor scales. That should give you a good foundation.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Learning theory from the ground up can be a daunting task. Depending upon your resources available to you, I may be able to help. I have an Online Guitar School, which costs, but if you are limited to free resources, I also offer free mentoring services. If I can help you or answer any questions, please feel free to contact me. I relate with your frustration and I wish I could tell you that it is a unique situation, but its a fairly common thing with self taught people. If I can help you out, let me know.

Best,

Sean