I recently replied to this American Strat ad in craigslist and talked the guy down from $625 to $575 and I'm wondering, what do you guys think about it? Here's a quote from the guys ad:

"'99-00 Amercan Fender Strat, Excellent condition! Fender noisless pickups, Maple neck 9 1/2 radius, 2 point trem, Recent pro set up complete with fret level ,crown and polish. Frets are like mirrors! Comes with MBT case and all case candy.
asking $625 OBO"

What's the big difference between rosewood and maple necks? I heard rosewood has a less in your face kind of tone while maple is the exact opposite, with it being a little brighter.

I would obviously try the guitar before I buy it, and he claims it is in great condition so that sounds killer. Let me know what you guys think. It's a 3-tone sunburst.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Well, if you can try it than do that, especially if if it's a real American Strat. But only you can know if you want it though.

As for maple vs. rosewood, it's a feel thing. I personally prefer 1-piece maple. For some reason I can't get into the rosewood finger board on the maple neck. I don't mind rosewood nearly as much on a mahogany neck or something like that.
Quote by C_Miller
Well, if you can try it than do that, especially if if it's a real American Strat. But only you can know if you want it though.

As for maple vs. rosewood, it's a feel thing. I personally prefer 1-piece maple. For some reason I can't get into the rosewood finger board on the maple neck. I don't mind rosewood nearly as much on a mahogany neck or something like that.

Alright, thank you. I personally like the look of 1-piece maple but as for tone, I'll have to find out. I'll drive over and try it this week.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by WtrPlyr
I doubt you'll hear the difference between maple and rosewood fretboard.

Hm, I'll find out shortly although I doubt the fretboard makes THAT big of a difference. The difference is probably subtle. The feel on the other hand, I wonder.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Also, say I buy the guitar for $575 and end up wanting one with a rosewood fretboard or just want to sell it in some time, do you think I'll be able to resell it for the same price or maybe make some extra money? What's the resell value like?
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
I like maple on my tele's, rosewood on my hss strats and anything else for that matter.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Bump. Can anyone give me an answer to my question in my last post?
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
As far as I know American strats pretty much retain their value, so in that sense yeah, you wouldn't be losing any money on it as long as its still in good shape.

Then again I've never wanted or tried to sell my strat so...