Basically, at what price does the quality of a guitar stop increasing? After which point all you are paying for is the name...
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
I reckon it starts around 1500 euros.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Inb4 Gibson

/Thread
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
not sure if serious?!?

it doesn't really work like that. if you were paying for the name then that wouldn't explain why companies like gibson custom are relatively cheap compared to some boutique manufacturers and private luthiers who you'll never have heard of that if you see one of their guitars that resembled a les paul for example you'd say "lol cheap knockoff" because you haven't heard of the brand name on the headstock.

basically, the name on the headstock is of no significance to anything whatsoever and you should stop thinking like that. if you think a guitar is worth the asking price and can realistically afford to buy it then go for it. if not, fair enough, but don't go around telling everyone that brand sucks and is overpriced, because you'll only annoy the people who do consider them to be worth the money.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by GS LEAD 5
There is no point.
However, at around the USD800-1000 mark, you get less and less guitar for more greenbacks. But it never truly stops. After a certain point, it boils down to personal preference.

Pretty much this.

It's really impossible to define a point where the quality stops improving. There's so many factors, and there are too many differing opinions on what makes a good guitar.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
I can't believe some of you actually put a number on this. Quality NEVER stops rising (except when we start talking about ridiculous prices of collector items, like a LP '59).
Truth is that the price rises exponentially compared to it's quality. So a 600$ guitar will be noticably alot better than a 300$ guitar, but a 2300$ guitar won't be that much better than a 2000$ guitar. Maybe just different with more expensive specs. And a top notch custom made 8000$ guitar will have slightly better tonal woods that look much nicer and it will have other very fancy stuff on it that cost alot of money, so it will be better, but the quality of a 3000$ guitar won't be far from it.

It's all about finding the guitar with the level of quality you WANT to pay for.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
it depends on the company and personal values. gibson for example will charge an arm and a leg as well as you left testicle/ovary for a guitar. then they have the billy gibbons and jimmy page guitars that can be signed and aged for a mere 25K. to some people that is worth it to people who dont overly care about page or gibbons it isnt worth it
Lol at all of this. Internet snobs unite " I oWN a $16000 PRS it SOUnDs So MucH BettEr taN EpiFonEz"

Honestly - at around $1500 US you can find nearly any guitar you want with the specs you want. Anything more than that you're starting to pay for such slight things that it's not cost effective, nor will anyone but you know or care about those differences.

There's a certain point where wood is wood - no matter what special forest its grown in or whatever. You get a custom made guitar - it will cost more and probably be of higher quality than a production model guitar - but is it worth the extra $1k-$2k?

In my mind, no. If you think so - hey its your money.

It's like comparing cars. Would you rather buy a BMW 3 series fully loaded or the fully loaded Benz C series? Or a Hyundia Sonata or a Honda Civic? The Benz isn't a better car, but it'll cost you about $10-15k more. At that point, its all name.
I think once you hit the $2000 - mark, the differences in quality are less noticeable (unless you're talking about specialty / boutique / custom-made instruments).

Look at Les Pauls. You'll probably notice a big difference between an $800 Les Paul Studio Faded and a $1400 Les Paul Studio Deluxe. But you might not notice that much of a difference between the ultra-high-end models. At that point they're all going to feel extremely nice.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
The Benz isn't a better car, but it'll cost you about $10-15k more. At that point, its all name.

might not be better than the 3 series but its definitely better than a hyundai...

Ive seen some amazing guitars for 600 and some atrocious ones for 1500..
Quote by voleurz
might not be better than the 3 series but its definitely better than a hyundai...

Ive seen some amazing guitars for 600 and some atrocious ones for 1500..

Hey the Hyundia was for the Honda comparison! Don't read too far in between the lines.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Lol at all of this. Internet snobs unite " I oWN a $16000 PRS it SOUnDs So MucH BettEr taN EpiFonEz"

Honestly - at around $1500 US you can find nearly any guitar you want with the specs you want. Anything more than that you're starting to pay for such slight things that it's not cost effective, nor will anyone but you know or care about those differences.

if you're gonna play that card, then... exactly. so you buy the guitar to please yourself, is that so hard to understand?

of course i think that "nobody else notices the difference" is nonsense. i think non-guitarists hear the same thing guitarists do when they hear a guitar - training your ear to recognise differences in tone doesn't make you actually hear things in more detail, it only enables you to recognise particular details easier and analyse them in a lot more depth.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
there is no price point where it doesn't get any better quality wise. there will always be something that could in theory be better. what you end up with really is the law of diminishing returns. eventually you will hit a point where you will see less and less improvement for the money. where that point is is very hard to say. a lot of really high end guitars have features that don't have anything to do with sound or playability (like fancy flame maple tops for instance). since what makes a guitar sound or play great to you may differ from someone else i doubt you could ever come up with a definitive answer to this ?.
On the topic of Gibsons: modern Les Paul Customs sound, feel, and play WAY better than Standards. If I was forced to buy new, I'd save up the extra cash for the Custom rather than settle for the Standard.
Quality doesn't stop going up. However generally anything that costs £700-1000 is in the realm of semi-professional gear that should be capable of most things but is perhaps missing a couple of fancier features and if you're spending over a grand then you can be pretty sure that you're getting something that would withstand regular recording an world touring. Whether a £3000 guitar gives you much more than that baseline professional £1000 one is up to you. Some people genuinely prefer production Fenders to their Custom Shop counterparts. Some people really can't bear to own a Les Paul with 'Gibson' on the headstock or a Strat without 'Fender' on it. Other people happily tour the world with MIK LTDs and MIM Fenders.
Quote by LP_CL
I can't believe some of you actually put a number on this. Quality NEVER stops rising (except when we start talking about ridiculous prices of collector items, like a LP '59).
Truth is that the price rises exponentially compared to it's quality. So a 600$ guitar will be noticably alot better than a 300$ guitar, but a 2300$ guitar won't be that much better than a 2000$ guitar. Maybe just different with more expensive specs. And a top notch custom made 8000$ guitar will have slightly better tonal woods that look much nicer and it will have other very fancy stuff on it that cost alot of money, so it will be better, but the quality of a 3000$ guitar won't be far from it.

It's all about finding the guitar with the level of quality you WANT to pay for.

+1

exactly

also combined with some companies being able to charge more because they're better known, or because their stuff has to be imported, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bling.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
It's probably important to mention that although quality goes up with cost (in general), that's not to say that you can't pick up a really great guitar for relatively cheap. I have a Gretsch Pro Jet and an ESP LTD H-302 that I love just as much as my R7 Les Paul Goldtop, and I found them each used for about $300. Those are the two cheapest guitars I own right now, but they're awesome.

So while a high price tag usually goes along with higher quality, that doesn't automatically mean that a low price tag means low quality.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2