Hi,,
(sorry for the maybe bad English, i am from Holland)

after a few weeks of trying several guitars, i decided to go for the Ibanez Sz.

There are now 2 options:

-SZ 520 amber QM with gigbag

-And SZ 520 transparant Black with heartbeat inlay.

Questions: is thet a special edition with the heartbeat, i only find them with the flame(12 fret)

I can buy the SZ with the Duncan Ibanez pickups or with a GFS Chrunchy pat at the bridge. The seller don t mind if he has to change them.

Which would you buy with what pickups

Thanks anyway
That heartbeat inlay wasn't available in the states, so I'm not sure which specific models/years had it. That was a European-only option. From what I can see the 12th-fret flame thingie seems to be the most common model around. It looks like there was also a model that has some sort of "wings" inlays. The heartbeat inlay is by far the coolest option but it seems to be pretty rare.

If you can't find one with the heartbeat then I would go for whichever color option looks the best to you. Amber QM is a classic look, and transparent black is more modern (in my opinion). Personally I would go for the Amber QM because I like that color, and because it comes with a gig bag (always a plus).

Regarding the pickups, I would go for the GFS Cruchy PAT over the stock bridge pickup. The Crunchy PAT is supposed to sound a lot like a DiMarzio Super Distortion. Great for rock, heavy blues, or even some metal. The stock Duncan/Ibanez pickups aren't terrible, but they're nothing special. GFS pickups are suprisingly good for the money.

Note - just don't pay more to get the GFS pickup added to the guitar. They're only about $25 brand new, so don't let him talk you into paying a lot extra for it.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
@57Goldtop:

i can buy both. Same price. I was just wondereing what I could do best. QM or the black transparant with heartbeat inlay and the GFS PU.

Is the GFS pickup better than the Duncan/Ibanez ?

Whitch one is better to compare with the SD JB pickup ?

Thanks already...
Not a 'rare' model, the heartbeat model was just a European only model, they were made towards the end of the SZ series before the SZR series replaced them so there arent as many as the popular flame inlay.

The Ibanez Duncans are essentially a JB and a 59 from seymour duncan if that helps but in the end its personal preference, alot of musicians who play blues/rock play the SZ stock
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
The lifeline inlay was also sold in Asia. I shouldn't have sold mine before i moved to the US.

Never a fan of the crunchy pat, but i believe it's better than that duncan/ibz.
Quote by nav00
Not a 'rare' model, the heartbeat model was just a European only model, they were made towards the end of the SZ series before the SZR series replaced them so there arent as many as the popular flame inlay.

The Ibanez Duncans are essentially a JB and a 59 from seymour duncan if that helps but in the end its personal preference, alot of musicians who play blues/rock play the SZ stock

Yeah, I guess by "rare" I just meant there weren't as many floating around. It's obviously not a rare model in the sense that it's a collector's item or anything. I did a quick google search and not a lot came up, which usually means either a limited run or only available in a certain area.

If this is true about the pickups then I change my answer The JB / '59 combo is a popular choice for a lot of musical styles. You could handle most music types with those two pickups. So if the stock pups are the "made-for-Ibanez" version of those then you might be happy with them. And worst case scenario - you could always go out and buy a set of GFS pickups yourself later. They won't cost you much!

I guess my answer then would be to grab the trans-black with the heartbeat inlays and stick with the stock pups.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Hey,

thanks for thinking with me.

I had the guy on the telephone this afternoon and we aggreed the price. I go and collect the guitar this saterday.

Which one.........?

@57Goldtop:

you were right with "the trans-black with the heartbeat inlays and stick with the stock pups ".
That s what I did, but innstead of the GFS bridge pickup I choose the stick Duncan/Ibanez bridge pickup, but incl a gator case

Is it hard for a NOOB to change the pickups ? Suggestions ?

(style, rock, metallica, pantera, a little old school metal (thrash late '80)