Hey guys

New amp day is nearly here and I'm buying a brand new Marshall DSL 100 head
I couldnt be happier about getting the amp, but I'm not sure yet what kind of cab I should get and its unlikely I'll get to A/B them before purchasing.

I'm mainly looking at the 1960AV (or an equivalent orange, blackstar etc with V30s) and the 1960A (equipped with G12T-75s). I'm a massive fan of the Vintage 30 speaker, but the G12T-75 loaded cab is significantly cheaper. Obviously the 75W speakers have more headroom, and Celestion's website says they have slightly more high-end response, but I'm wondering if anyone has any extra information about the difference between these cabs, and help me decide.

I play a lot of Muse, Chili Peppers, Led Zep and a lot of other stuff which a marshall isnt so suited to, but I plan on eventually running several heads.
Congrats on the new amp!

I have a TSL100 and after extensive research I went with a Behringer Ultrastack BG412H 4x12". It is not the 'name' value you get with Marshall (and of course your (half)stack looks.. well... kinda incomplete) but sound wise, I couldnt be happier. And the price difference is significant. Just FYI

If yer purely looking at a Marshall cab, AV would be my personal favorite, as is it kind of best of both world imo.

Cheers
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
Quote by MXFNCK
Congrats on the new amp!

I have a TSL100 and after extensive research I went with a Behringer Ultrastack BG412H 4x12". It is not the 'name' value you get with Marshall (and of course your (half)stack looks.. well... kinda incomplete) but sound wise, I couldnt be happier. And the price difference is significant. Just FYI

If yer purely looking at a Marshall cab, AV would be my personal favorite, as is it kind of best of both world imo.

Cheers

Thanks man

TBH, coming from an engineering background, Behringer is even more of a dirty word than in the guitar world and I would almost never buy a piece of Behringer gear. I've had it fail on my in critical situations before.
That being said, Wow thats a cheap cab! It would almost be worth getting one just to see if it was any good. I've got fx pedals worth 3 times that much. Might just check it out in addition to another cab (just to have one to bash around), but I'm really a huge celestion fan.

I'm not set on Marshall, but most of the store around here seem most willing to give discounts on a marshall cab if I'm buying a marshall head.

What I REALLY want is a Mills Acoustic Cab, but that isnt gonna happen soon, and I've got a recording project coming up in a few weeks.
it is more expensive for a reason. the av with v30's are way more sought after and a majority of guitar players would pick that over the g12-75. so go for the av. save some $$$ and get a used one
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
cheers man.

I'll save you the details, but suffice it to say it's actually easier for me to pay if I go new. If there is that much of a difference though, I'll pay extra and go the AV.
1-I know exactly what you are talking about with behringer being akin to satan in the techie world
2-seriously consider the av with the v30s. I feel that they sound a ton better than 12-75s for the stuff you play. Now if this were djent...its a toss up there
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by Blick71
1-I know exactly what you are talking about with behringer being akin to satan in the techie world
2-seriously consider the av with the v30s. I feel that they sound a ton better than 12-75s for the stuff you play. Now if this were djent...its a toss up there

"djent"?
Quote by guy_tebache
Ah I think I see. Yeah I got the impression that the G12T-75s were kinda more a metal speaker.

just saw you live in australia as well. probably a different used market than los angeles, ca. anyways i still would recommend the v30's. im not a fan of either speaker (i play mostly the same stuff you do) but in comparison the v30's absolutely trumped the g12's. furthermore you are going to love your new head unit. used to have a dsl and it was great!
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by guy_tebache
Ah I think I see. Yeah I got the impression that the G12T-75s were kinda more a metal speaker.

its not that it's necessarily more 'metal', but that it suits the style of djent more. Djent is based on that kind of tonal range, but the speakers do not totally dominate tone. Hell, i play djent with my rig and it sounds quite djentastic. Not quite an engl through a mills, but it works.

tl;dr speakers don't create tone, they just make certain tones more accessible.

And yeah, grab v30s if you can. They pair up really nicely with dsls and tsls. It'll make you sound more 'vintagey'
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s