My current setup includes an Orange TH30 and a digitech RP500 multi effects pedal. Now i primarily use the amps distortion however when i want cut through during a solo ill add the digitechs overdrive. But at the end of the solo im straight back into clens for the verses again.

So im really stumped as to how i would be able to do this as i'd have to press the amp and digitech pedal simultaneously. I dont want to be tap dacing around the pedal board so how exctaly do the pros do it?
How do the pros do it? MIDI.

There is a solution if you only ever use the Digitech when you use your amp's distortion, but that kills versatility, which is kind of the point of a multi FX unit.
Last edited by Mathamology at Mar 21, 2011,
^ this.

But that's more than you probably want to spend when you could just move your pedals so that you can hit them both at once, or turn off one a second or two before the end of the solo and then the other at the end of the solo.
Quote by benji_flip134
My current setup includes an Orange TH30 and a digitech RP500 multi effects pedal. Now i primarily use the amps distortion however when i want cut through during a solo ill add the digitechs overdrive. But at the end of the solo im straight back into clens for the verses again.

So im really stumped as to how i would be able to do this as i'd have to press the amp and digitech pedal simultaneously. I dont want to be tap dacing around the pedal board so how exctaly do the pros do it?

Some pro set ups are insane, usually a bunch of rack gear and some people have their techs do the operating. I use a th30 and it is tricky to do stuff like that with it. Especially when you step from an amp with more channels. You could always use your guitars volume knob. Maybe around 6-7 with normal distortion at 10 for a solo.
well personally, if your modeling is good enough, i would create a channel on there that gives the closest sound to your orange + overdrive so that you only need 1 pedal. hopefully you could get a good enough sound that way.

i guessing you go from amp drive into the solo and then both off? well its 1 by 1 at the beginning, you cant just grab a second to click both off when you need to go to clean?

perhaps you could also use your volume knobs and only use your amp drive. jack up teh volume on your guitar for more drive.

if you have a les paul style, play rythm with the switch in the middle. put the bridge on max volume and the neck on like 2-3. that way your at a mix for your rythm with drive, and for your lead, flip the switch to the bridge and go to full max volume which will basically sound like you just flipped on an OD
What I do is turn off effects that need to be off before I channel switch off about a second before that part ends, so all I have to worry about is channel switching at the exact moment I need to. Given that I need to turn off my EQ and my OD to switch to my clean channel, I've become quite the tap dancer

But yeah. As long as you wait til as late as you possibly can to turn off/on your effects before switching channels, most people listening won't notice anything odd.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ikey_
well personally, if your modeling is good enough, i would create a channel on there that gives the closest sound to your orange + overdrive so that you only need 1 pedal. hopefully you could get a good enough sound that way.

Probably the best idea, imo. The one of the MFX pedals strengths is to allow you to set up complicated (or other) effects combinations for one-stomp access. It works very well for the situation you describe.