I'm in the market for a new guitar. I'm getting a pretty sizable comission bonus at the end of tax season and want to get a really top notch Les Paul style guitar. My budget is $800-1500 USD. Now, I have pretty much fallen in love with an ESP eclipse at my local store. It plays incredibly, and sounds really really nice. I also like that it's a few pounds lighter than a traditional Gibson, I've had bad back problems in the past few years and that is a major plus. I'm not a big fan of EMG pickups though, which is not a big deal, I can swap the pickups (Lollar high winds ). Also, I really miss a lot of the more classy appointments on a les paul, but the playibility and fit and finish of that ESP more than make up for those setbacks.

That ESP has a $1499 price tag, and I think I can probably get them to come off that a bit because that guitar has been hanging on the wall for a while. I've probably got about a month to decide what I'm going to do, but I just wanted to get some suggestions and shop around a bit more before I make up my mind.

Footnotes:
LP styled guitar, budget $800-1500USD, lighter is better
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
If you like it already - that' the LP style guitar to get. It's what I would recommend, and a lot of others on this board will as well. The EMG 60 in the neck is also a really nice pickup - very versatile. I didn't like it either until I got it home.

Also - for the money you can't really even get a new Gibson LP, so once again that decides the ESP in my mind.

Tell them you'll take it out of the store w/ an ESP hardshell case for $1250 cash, they should do it.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
If you like it already - that' the LP style guitar to get. It's what I would recommend, and a lot of others on this board will as well. The EMG 60 in the neck is also a really nice pickup - very versatile. I didn't like it either until I got it home.

Also - for the money you can't really even get a new Gibson LP, so once again that decides the ESP in my mind.

Tell them you'll take it out of the store w/ an ESP hardshell case for $1250 cash, they should do it.

Yeah, I really love that ESP, but I just wanted to shop around some more in case that one gets sold or just so I feel like I didn't buy something on an impulse.

I was looking at some older Les Pauls, I found some used ones in the $1500 range. I tried some of the studio models, but after playing on that ESP they were junk.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Exactly. And a new studio costs about as much as that ESP. Support those Jap's! The only advice is compare it to any Gibby LP's you can play in the same price range. Or look at an Edward's LP (made by ESP, same quality as real LP's just different name/half the price). Gibson necks don't compare to ESP necks though, IMO.