Admins, please don't hate me. I know this is probably in the wrong place. This is my first post.

I have been playing bass for a while now but I have listened to too much good music not to learn a few metal riffs and solos. I am not going to give up my funk stick anytime soon (my many funk sticks) though.

So i bought myself a ibanez sz720 for a nice price. I have a big bass amp at home and guitar through it before sounded surprisingly good but still bad. basically i need to get a basic set of effects pedals. I want some distortion and wah mainly. The standard dunlop crybaby seems to do its job nicely. Distortion has been a headache to research. The sounds I want to emulate are grunge (sound garden, alice in chains (<3 cantrell)) and metal from pantera to dream theater/opeth and lamb of good. I realize this is quite vast. The big muff seems like a good choice but it leaves me a little weak in the blues department (I wank to run this through a lap steel as well...) . I have decided i'm not going to get all the sounds out of one pedal. I don't really want to get a guitar amp because a gigable one will cost me too much and I'm just going to learn for now. I live in Australia so shipping is a headache but also our dollar is good at the moment. (our economy doesn't lick proverbial ballz, sorry lads.) I basically want to start out with some wah and distortion and maybe add delays and choruses and reverbs later.

Please help, the deeper I look into this, the harder it is.
The digitech grunge pedal I have heard great things about for a nice thick distortion, and the Boss DS-1 is a staple pedal.

Although, for where you are now a bedroom modeling amp with effects might be right. Effects can rack up in price quickly at ~$100 (US dollars) a piece, so playing with a multi effects pedal or modeling amp first might be the way to go.
so your have a guitar and want effects before you buy a good amp? thats not a smart idea...... i think i read this huge paragraph right.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
The only reason you feel you need them distortion pedals is because you're playing through the bass amp. Of course, you may want to get pedals if the gain on your amp isn't desirable for you but come on, you need the correct type of amp. An effect pedal still may not sound too well on the bass amp. Both guitars and bass guitars have different sets of pedals designed for each.
You should Try Buying a Guitar Amp, Like a Peavy Vypyr, It will have all the effects a beginner should need, even the 15 watts version !
I imagine you need effects even after you have a good amp. The effects will do for now and I will later purchase a good amp rather than keep upgrading mediocre ones. Can we please stick to the topic of pedals for now?
TheTone is 100% right, why buy pedals to go through a bass amp and sound crap when you could buy a peavey vypry/vox vt etc and sound reasonable?

if you pump money into distortion pedals, reverb all that you probably wont even use them, not to mention when you do get a decent amp the distortion on that will probably beat any pedal.

get a modeller, see what works and what you need out of an amp then come back with a budget. Untill then i would strongly advise not to buy pedals for your bass amp.
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
You'd be much better off buying a Peavey Vypyr for $100 than spending hundreds on pedals through a bass amp. The Vypyr will pretty much nail the tones you want, and do everything you want to do too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the amp only covers distortion. I want to do other things too. How much are these amps and how loud are they?
Quote by Pseudoabdul
the amp only covers distortion. I want to do other things too. How much are these amps and how loud are they?

The Vypyr can do pretty much anything you can think of that is guitar driven. The only sounds it can't put out are synth/midi stuff, which you didn't mention wanting anyway. The 15W is $100 new, and it's pretty loud. Loud enough for home use anyway. If you want something to use with a band, get the 75W ($300 new) or the Tube 60 ($450, I believe).

EDIT: The 30W is a "happy balance". It has all the features of the bigger ones, and it only costs $200. This is the version I recommend to most people, because of just how much it can do and how cheap it is. I would not recommend the 15W personally, unless you're just trying to spend as little as possible.

Check this out if you're still unconvinced. http://www.peavey.com/products/instamplifiers/guitaramps/vypyr/
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by Pseudoabdul
Admins, please don't hate me. I know this is probably in the wrong place. This is my first post.

I have been playing bass for a while now but I have listened to too much good music not to learn a few metal riffs and solos. I am not going to give up my funk stick anytime soon (my many funk sticks) though.

So i bought myself a ibanez sz720 for a nice price. I have a big bass amp at home and guitar through it before sounded surprisingly good but still bad. basically i need to get a basic set of effects pedals. I want some distortion and wah mainly. The standard dunlop crybaby seems to do its job nicely. Distortion has been a headache to research. The sounds I want to emulate are grunge (sound garden, alice in chains (<3 cantrell)) and metal from pantera to dream theater/opeth and lamb of good. I realize this is quite vast. The big muff seems like a good choice but it leaves me a little weak in the blues department (I wank to run this through a lap steel as well...) . I have decided i'm not going to get all the sounds out of one pedal. I don't really want to get a guitar amp because a gigable one will cost me too much and I'm just going to learn for now. I live in Australia so shipping is a headache but also our dollar is good at the moment. (our economy doesn't lick proverbial ballz, sorry lads.) I basically want to start out with some wah and distortion and maybe add delays and choruses and reverbs later.

Please help, the deeper I look into this, the harder it is.

Dude... effects built in amps are mainly crap, except for some distortions (like the great crunch in Marshalls).

For what you want I would recommend the Digitech Grunge Distortion Pedal, and for the Wah I recommend the Vox Wah and not the Dunlop.

If you want a killer groovier distortion I recommend the Big Muff Pi by Electroharmonix, and if you choose to play some blues you should check out the Ibanez Tubescreamer.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
if hes going to pay however much for pedals (didnt realise he wanted so much) why cant he get a cheap tube amp and worry about the effects afterwards?

i assums TS your not gigging, and if you are gigging i think youd already know what effects you want etc.

either get a modeller or if your gonna sink more into pedals that $100 (say for example were talking about $300) im sure theres something you could get that will sound infinately better

i really do suggest you get a guitar amp than sink more money into that bass amp
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
mikeb2817 is kind of on the right path here. The thing about pedals is, I like having them. These amps that have been suggested are also a good idea. I figure I will get some pedals (bigg muff and maybe something for metal and a wah) and see how I go. If i need an amp I will get one and later when I get a real amp I will have pedals to use with it.
So i am looking at guitar amps and big ones seem to have about 100W. Bass amps usually have like 5 times that. Also they have nicer knobs.
yeah but what i mean is say you get a metal muff well say, cheap generic metal pedal. sound pretty good when you first start. you get a peavey 6505+ that becomes redundant, that however many dollars down the drain.

reverb etc, you dont need them straight off the bat, there easily livable with out, but if you want to gig, or you want to jam your gonna need soemthing that will cut threw and sound good.

maybe you could try the modellers, try a valve amp then try a generic SS amp with pedals. see which you like out of the three then go from there

EDIT:i really do hope your not trolling dude

anyway yes bass amps have a higher wattage im not sure why someone else will have to help on that one

but for most gigs a 50 watt valve amp will do, heck even a 30 watt valve amp would surfice as it will most likely be miced anyway.

valve amp wattage "SOUNDS" louder than equal SS wattage, so i wouldnt go off whats if your looking into valves.

we really need to know budget, where you live in the world, used or not, and wether your gigging that would help us out a lot then we can point you in the right direction
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Last edited by mikeb2817 at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by mikeb2817

maybe you could try the modellers, try a valve amp then try a generic SS amp with pedals. see which you like out of the three then go from there

time to head down to the local store then.

How much in your dollars will be the last amp I will ever need? Not super high spec, but one that will always do the job and can gig.
Quote by Pseudoabdul
time to head down to the local store then.

How much in your dollars will be the last amp I will ever need? Not super high spec, but one that will always do the job and can gig.

depends really on what you personally want

£800 would get me my dream set up (not sure what that is in dollars as im in the UK)

bare in mind that tastes change so you may want (if you can afford it) something super versatile, in which case you cant go wrong with a mesa mark IV, but we really need a budget etc to tell you what you wanna be looking at then its upto you to decide
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
ok, absolute max of $1k. I am happy to spend less on less. I live in australia (see post). A super versatile amp from blues to metla would be great. Mesa and blackstar make good thing i hear
yeh definately, i would check out the blackstar ht-20 or 40 if you can afford it.

i think mesa's are quite expensive in aus so it would have to be used and im not sure of used prices but if you can get em in budget look for mesa dual rect, mark IV/V.

maybe a bugera 6260 would be good if you want to stay to a lower budget, better clean channel than 6505+ and to my ears a relatively similar gain channel.

that said the bugera magician is out soon and it sounds like its gonna be immense

best option now is the guitar store and try try try
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah