I hate to put this here, but I can't think of where else to put this without the "wrong forum" police jumping down my throat. And yes, as a disclaimer, I know there is no Ultimate-Piano, so yeah...

I was just wondering if there were any keyboardists out there that can help me out. I've been playing piano for a while now and a band recently asked me help them out on with keys. Now my one problem is that I'd rather not lug a piano to gigs and my practice keyboard is about as cheap as they come. I'd like to get a keyboard that has similar feel to a piano with weighted keys, has a decent piano sound and won't break the bank. Now the sound doesn't need to be perfect as I will be mainly playing in the background of overdriven guitars, bass and drums.

My budget is definitely less then $500, but as low as possible while still fitting the criteria is ideal.

Thanks for the help!
I don't want to be a dick, but it would be really easy to find information about this on google, or a keyboard forum.
A good and cheap solution would be something from the Casio CDP series.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
may be Yamaha?

played one of these at my local store and hell that thing does play really well like a real piano the sound is cool as well and won't be over your budget... idk the exact model i played but still hope that helps.. also you could use a midi controller and a VSTi?? Pianissimo has got a kickass sound for the price!
Quote by Pagan-Pie
I don't want to be a dick, but it would be really easy to find information about this on google, or a keyboard forum.

Tried Google and found a lot of conflicting answers. As far as keyboard forums go, they can be just as pretentious about keyboards as we can be about guitars. I figured keyboard players here would know enough about low end keyboards.
We had a Roland digital piano which was pretty cool. It was heavy, but nothing too bad, and it felt nice to play. I can't remember the exact model, I'll get back to you if I can find out - we had to sell it last year 'cause we're poor lol.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Vendetta V
may be Yamaha?

played one of these at my local store and hell that thing does play really well like a real piano the sound is cool as well and won't be over your budget... idk the exact model i played but still hope that helps.. also you could use a midi controller and a VSTi?? Pianissimo has got a kickass sound for the price!

I was thinking about a MIDI controller. I have a Mac, which has Garageband. That has a lot of great sounds on it. One problem is how would I amp my computer? I know the sound comes through the speakers, but I'm not sure how I can hook my computer to an amp...
Last edited by C_Miller at Mar 21, 2011,
Awesome. I'll put a little bit of research into that. Thanks for the help.
I have a Casio PX-130, which is weighted, but it's not the most realistic response. Try that and the M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro, which is also weighted. Both are under $500.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by C_Miller
I was thinking about a MIDI controller. I have a Mac, which has Garageband. That has a lot of great sounds on it. One problem is how would I amp my computer? I know the sound comes through the speakers, but I'm not sure how I can hook my computer to an amp...

The ideal workstation set up, even for hobbyists, is your MIDI controller keyboard usb to your Mac, which then transmit the data to an external digital audio interface that outputs the analog signal to 2 mono reference monitors.

My setup:

Casio PX130/M-Audio Oxygen 8 -> Macbook Pro -> E-MU0404 => L & R Roland CM-30's

For good quality sound, you should look into software samplers and synths, not the stock onboard sounds of the keyboard. Synthology and Native Instruments make some very realistic sampling based libraries for piano and keyboards.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 21, 2011,
ahh well that's true but NI is waay expensive for a hobbyist and well idk.. sometimes you dont want tons of gbs and sounds for an instrument if you're using only one... so idk Pianissimo is my two cents.
1 download it. it's small,
2 get the demo,
3 listen to the first introduction melody they have there
4 BAM!!! realize you want to buy it
5 invest some money
6 ???
7 profit!
What you really need is a new amp.
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
I have the Casio CDP, I believe it's around $400-350 if you can get it on a sale.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
I'm glad I read the OP because I would have suggested putting weights on the piano.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
I have a Casio I've been wanting to sell, I don't know what model it is but it's the largest scale and was $700 new. I only used it for maybe 5 hours total and everything works as new. I'd look up the model but it's at my parents' house and I'm in my dorm at school right now but PM me if you're interested I can take pictures of it next time I'm up there. I'll sell it for $400.

Oh, and it has weighted keys which I think feel great. Some of the best I've felt for under a grand and a fairly good approximation of what a real piano feels like (as close as keyboards get)

I think this is it: http://www.casio.com/products/Musical_Instruments/Privia_Digital_Pianos/PX-130/
Guitars:
Carvin DC145
Epiphone Explorer with Seymour Duncan JB and '59
Ibanez RGT42FXQM with Dimarzio Evo 2 and PAF Joe
Amp:
Carvin V3 2x12 combo with JJ 6L6GC tubes

Bass:
Ibanez SR300IPT
Amp:
Carvin BX600 2x10 half stack
Last edited by Remonster at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by deckerbastard69
just gotta say, i was expecting this to be about computer keyboards.

Lol. You dirty dirty computer bogan. I don't know why this made me laugh.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible