Dunno if this should be in EG or GG&A, if I posted in the wrong one, my bad.

I found an RG7621 on eBay for CHEAP. Apparently it's in "good condition" though... with the exception that it kinda has a LOT of wear and tear. How difficult would it be for me to repaint/finish or just remove the paint entirely (and then do a natural finish thing)? I've never done this before.

EDIT: Same goes for this RG7421, albeit there's SIGNIFICANTLY less damage. http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-RG7421-7-String-Guitar-Japan-Hardtail-/230599630684?pt=Guitar&hash=item35b0cf1f5c
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Last edited by Nico the Great at Mar 21, 2011,
Gear building and customizing.

It's actually very easy, you just need a piece of sandpaper. That is to repaint - you just need to get the old one all scratched up and then apply your choice.

You can use chemicals to strip the paint, but I would recommend a power sander. Careful, don't breath in the dust (especially if you use chemicals) and do it in a dedicated room. The sanding can be done outside, but not the refinishing.

Look up on the web for more detailed how-to's.
Quote by diminishedtobme
Wow TS you sure showed society. Watch it crumble as you slowly walk by.

Quote by sebastian_96
ACCORDING TO YOU!
*unnecessary guitar fills*
Last edited by that guy Strife at Mar 21, 2011,
Oh yeah. Whoops. I meant to post this in GB&C. My bad, to the mods.

Could I do the repainting/refinishing with literally just a brush? I don't have a powersprayer or whatever you'd call it. Basically, what would I need? And how would I get it to look like it's a professional quality paintjob, and not just some stock paint that you'd use on walls? I'm not talking like, have the paint be metallic or anything, but just look good.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
You can sand the paint back but that will take an awful long time with a thick finish like those sorts of guitars have. You can get various chemicals that strip thick paint quicker and without damaging the wood underneath. Different brands are/aren't legal in different regions though so there's not much point naming specific ones. Just look around your local DIY store, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Tell them you need it to strip polyurethane without damaging the wood, they'll know of something.

As for refinishing, depends what material you want to use. You'll need sanding sealer, primer, a color coat and a few clear coats. I wouldn't recommend you try a transparent finish, the wood on that guitar probably isn't too pretty. You can get spray cans of nitro finish quite easily. This is the thinnest finish and perhaps the easiest to correct if you make any mistakes but it also takes the longest to dry. Refinishing a guitar with nitro spray can take a few weeks, if not months. It can also get damaged again easier. You can also buy spray cans of poly finish or you can get wipe-on poly (best for clear coats, not so much for color coats). Poly dries faster, thicker and harder and is easier nine times out of ten so long as you take your time and don't overload with paint and cause runs and drips.

So what you need to get depends on the kind of finish material you want to do and again where you live, what's available in your area. Really this isn't something the internet can help you with, you pretty much need to look in local shops, ask local luthiers. Plenty of guides how to refinish online but actual materials are limited so much by region, you're better off hitting town and seeing what's actually there.

The main key to getting a professional-looking finish is just to go slowly and smoothly and to take your time buffing the final clear coat to a high gloss. You can get a professional-looking finish with any material at home easily, it's just a question of having patience. Of course some finishes are easier to get looking good than others. A satin black finish takes very little effort or time to get looking right. A very glossy vintage white finish takes a lot more care.