So I posted this thread in EG, but meant to post it here.

Story goes, I'm trying to save money. I was originally planning on buying an Agile Septor Elite 727, but it's questionable whether I'll have a job over the summer or not. Ergo, I searched for used RG7621/7421's because I hear they're EXCELLENT guitars. Enter: eBay:

Quote by old thread
I found an RG7621 on eBay for CHEAP. Apparently it's in "good condition" though... with the exception that it kinda has a LOT of wear and tear: http://cgi.ebay.com/IBANEZ-RG-7621-1999-7-STRING-ELECRIC-GUITAR-METAL-AXE-/170616086886?pt=Guitar&hash=item27b982e166. Same goes for an RG7421, but with SIGNIFICANTLY less wear and tear: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-RG7421-7-String-Guitar-Japan-Hardtail-/230599630684?pt=Guitar&hash=item35b0cf1f5c

How difficult would it be for me to repaint/finish or just remove the paint entirely (and then do a natural finish thing)? I've never done this before.

thatguyStrife said:

Gear building and customizing.

It's actually very easy, you just need a piece of sandpaper. That is to repaint - you just need to get the old one all scratched up and then apply your choice.

You can use chemicals to strip the paint, but I would recommend a power sander. Careful, don't breath in the dust (especially if you use chemicals) and do it in a dedicated room. The sanding can be done outside, but not the refinishing.

Look up on the web for more detailed how-to's.

Me:

Oh yeah. Whoops. I meant to post this in GB&C. My bad, to the mods.

Could I do the repainting/refinishing with literally just a brush? I don't have a powersprayer or whatever you'd call it. Basically, what would I need? And how would I get it to look like it's a professional quality paintjob, and not just some stock paint that you'd use on walls? I'm not talking like, have the paint be metallic or anything, but just look good.

So that's where I'm at right now.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
some cheap paint (ie cheap iabanez guitars) you can use a heat gun (get one from harbor freight for 10 dollars) then you will need laquer and some clear coat ..........it will require several coats of each
When I did my guitar I used spray paint... lots of layers, then a whooooole bunch of lacquer over it.

I used a power sander to strip down the original red finish. It was an epiphone special II

It came out kind of rough, but I was not especially concerned with keeping it smooth.

Anyways, if you take the spray paint +lacquer route that's sort of the result you'll get
Tru Oil is pretty easy to get a good natural finish with, you just rub it in with a cloth. Plus it smells nice and won't rape your hands/throat.
Not sure what wet sanding it in would do though. Anyone?
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by scimitar_255
When I did my guitar I used spray paint... lots of layers, then a whooooole bunch of lacquer over it.

I used a power sander to strip down the original red finish. It was an epiphone special II

It came out kind of rough, but I was not especially concerned with keeping it smooth.

Anyways, if you take the spray paint +lacquer route that's sort of the result you'll get

Those are the results you get if you rush it. You should get a mirror finish as smooth as a baby's ass of you take your time.
lots of sandpaper, patience, some stain, a foam brush (If your going for NW finish) or a paintbrush and pain and somewhere to hang it if you not going for NW. I would know, I just got done with the same type project.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Controlpanel
lots of sandpaper, patience, some stain, a foam brush (If your going for NW finish) or a paintbrush and pain and somewhere to hang it if you not going for NW. I would know, I just got done with the same type project.

NW? As in, natural wood? Also, I'm guessing I don't need to hang it then, since I am going for a natural finish?
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
yea I redid a cheap 7 string ibanez gio with nw finish and it was very easy.... wish I put the finish on it though oh well got rid of that guitar before I could (pickups where shit)