I bought my first Fender from a shop in Denmark Street, London. (That's the famous road in London where the guitar shops are) for £470 bartered down to £390. I've got it home and one day into owning it I'm getting rattling saddles on my 'A' and 'G' string. Is this normal/fixable? Should I fix it or take it back? Other than this I am totally loving this guitar. It's a Fender Standard Stratocaster in Lake Placid Blue. Very proud I finally own one.
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
Sounds like all you need do is adjust the hex poles in the saddles so that the pair in each saddle is sitting level on the bridge. Simple adjustment with an allen key.
well, im not sure about the a-string, but on mine, when it had the old-style stamped steel saddles the g-string had a ring to it whenever i played it. It seems like the nature of how the saddles are made but i could be wrong.
The make a cream for that, and you need to take care of it soon or you'll get blisters...

On a serious note, it's probably the saddle height screws are a bit off, get out a magnifier glass a get a close in look, look for a gap between the screws and the bridge plate.

What kind of Saddles are they, are they the stamped vintage style or a more modern kind?

James
Quote by IronFeliks
The make a cream for that, and you need to take care of it soon or you'll get blisters...

On a serious note, it's probably the saddle height screws are a bit off, get out a magnifier glass a get a close in look, look for a gap between the screws and the bridge plate.

What kind of Saddles are they, are they the stamped vintage style or a more modern kind?

James

Thanks mate. Pardon my lack of knowledge but how do I tell?

Rich.
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

Quote by Rich EpiWildkat
Thanks mate. Pardon my lack of knowledge but how do I tell?

Rich.

A stamped saddle will look like a thin piece of metal that's bent in all different directions to make the shape of a saddle, a modern saddle will just be a solid piece of metal, no bends or anything.

And yeah, I hate the vintage style saddles, they've always caused tuning problems with me. I'd look into some modern steel Fender saddles if you don't already have them, otherwise, make sure the saddles are level, separately level, don't make all the saddles level with each other, you'll mess up your action that way.
Quote by ethan_hanus
A stamped saddle will look like a thin piece of metal that's bent in all different directions to make the shape of a saddle, a modern saddle will just be a solid piece of metal, no bends or anything.

And yeah, I hate the vintage style saddles, they've always caused tuning problems with me. I'd look into some modern steel Fender saddles if you don't already have them, otherwise, make sure the saddles are level, separately level, don't make all the saddles level with each other, you'll mess up your action that way.

I am pretty sure they're modern, the guitar isn't a vintage model. I think touch wood i sorted it. I just pressed the saddles back and forth a bit, i think it was just sitting a bit odd.

edit: The spec. says that the bridge is a 'Vintage Style Synchronised Tremolo' but regardless i've sorted it out.

Last edited by Rich EpiWildkat at Mar 21, 2011,