Hey there,

I'm currently interested in buying a microphone within the 100-200 range USD.

The only thing is that I want to buy a pretty solid quality mic, and don't want to spend more money on other equipment. I went to my local guitar shop and the guy working there told me that not many mics have usb capabilities, I would really love to find a mic that can work well with a laptop computer.

any ideas? thanks in advance
For micing guitar cabs? The standard is pretty much a SM57 and an interface. You can get a bundle from Shure with a sm57 and a small cheap interface for $200
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
SM57 all the way. You don't even really NEEED an interface, though I highly recommend one. USB mics aren't quite there yet.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by fenderdude06
sorry I forgot to mention that I'm using it to mic acoustic guitar and vocals

A sm57 prolly wouldn't be best for vocals and acoustic. I have a blue snowball, USB condenser mic, which sounds terrible for metal guitar cabs, but Pretty damn good for vocals and acoustic. Costs about $99 US
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
A sm57 prolly wouldn't be best for vocals and acoustic. I have a blue snowball, USB condenser mic, which sounds terrible for metal guitar cabs, but Pretty damn good for vocals and acoustic. Costs about $99 US

I have a blue snowball for quick recording. It works pretty well.

For acoustic and vocals you'd be better off with an sm58, maybe even an 86.

For an interface, look into an M Audio Fast Track II
Quote by denied
I have a blue snowball for quick recording. It works pretty well.

For an interface, look into an M Audio Fast Track II

I've got a fast track pro and I like it alot.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by denied

Actually SM57 and SM58 are the exact same mic, just with a slightly different windshield, I would get SM57 all the time though.
Last edited by Horlicks at Mar 21, 2011,
I picked up a Blue Yeti a few weeks ago. It has a similar mic config as the Zoom handhelds.

I think it's awesome. I used it to mic up my cabs and performed flawlessly.
Quote by Horlicks
Actually SM57 and SM58 are the exact same mic, just with a slightly different windshield, I would get SM57 all the time though.

Yes. I'm aware of that. I work at a studio. But they have different covers, the 58 has better pop filter, and is a little more suited to vocals. It is also a lot more sturdy and will last your lifetime.
i know i usually go against the grain, but i'll be honest here. if his application are acoustic guitar and vocals, then i'd want a large diaphragm condenser mic (cuz of the extended freq range and flat response will be able to pick up the more subtle/complex harmonics and formant of vocals esp).

i have four SM57's and they are great mics, but you'd be better served with a condenser mic if you are just sitting at home and wanting to record yourself.

the guy at the guitar shop is full of crap, there are TONS of mics with USB capabilities. damn near every entry level condenser mic has a USB version (like denied's snowball mic and the AT i mention below). beyond that, there are XLR to USB adapters for under 50 bucks

i use an audio technica AT2035, got it for like 150. comes with shock mount, a low end cut, and 10 dB pad and it sounds pretty good. if you want USB capabilities, it looks like 'blue' and 'MXL' puts out a good/cheap one for ~35 bucks or just buy the USB versions
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 21, 2011,
SM57 is well within your budget and is great for any sort of recording. Apart from ambient mic'ing and the like.

SM58's have a slight presence boost at 3k to gain more clarity for vocals. SM57's have a flatter and truer frequency response.
Last edited by GezzyDiversion at Mar 21, 2011,
SM57 without a doubt. And yes, it can do vocals, too (although that guy really can't sing).

As for an interface, the M-Audio Fast Track series is a good quality basic interface, but if you are willing to spend more money for more options, get a Behringer Xenyx X1204 mixer. It has built in effects and mic preamps plus 3-band EQ's for each channel, and it's a full-blown mixer, not just a USB interface.