I've been playing this strat knock off for a while, but i play metal. This has 3 single coil pickups and ive tried to beef up the sound with overdrive and other high gain setups. Problems i have found with this: 1) I cant seem to get it to sound very good. its always sort of dull sounding and just not what i want. 2) If i use too much overdrive or gain i tend to have a ton of noise which just simply does not work. I am planning to buy a new schecter damien elite avenger with a floyd when i can afford it (it has EMG's built in), But in the mean time i would like to replace the bridge pickup with a humbucker. Particularly a seymour duncan invader. So ive been looking into replacing them, it seems relatively straight forward as far as wiring, however i have a few questions. 1) I have read stuff about different pots etc. How can i tell what pots i have currently? ive read that 500k is recommended with this pickup. 2) i dont really use the volume or tone on the guitar. Can i just omit them and wire directly to the output jack from the switcher? Or perhaps have an actual switch to simply mute the sound all together?
1) it should say on them

2) yeah i think so, though i'd think very carefully about that as it's a very idiosyncratic setup. But if you're sure that's what you want, yeah, you could do that.

Another option would be a blower switch- when it's off, the pickup selector and volume and tone knobs are active as usual, but when it's selected, it routes the signal straight from one pickup (normally bridge pickup) straight to the output jack, bypassing the volume and tone knobs and pickup selector.

Are you sure you want an invader? I mean, again, if you're sure that's what you want, fair enough, but it's very hot, and very dark-sounding. If you're used to (low output, cheap) single coils, even lower output quality humbuckers should be a pretty big improvement for metal playing.

What amp do you have? that'll affect your metal tones a lot too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i definitely want an invader. Ive played them in the past and it really seems to be the best pickup ive found for the tone i want without going for actives. I figure i use the invader in the bridge for rhythm and then switch to my single coil neck pickup for leads. I play a lot of both. Maybe its not an ideal setup but it should work for now.

As far as an amp, for practice i have a small 40 watt marshall G10MK.II but live we have half stacks that i dont actually know the models of. But they are marshall as well. Those sound better though.
fair enough

regarding the pots, if you're keeping both hums and singles, there's going to be some compromise... normally you pair 500k with humbuckers and 250k with singles. Really up to you (or do some google searching to see if anyone has any advice, or maybe check e.g. the duncan website to see if they have any advice about that).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ahh same situation ehre. i guess installing a bass roll knob for the bridge in place of one of the tone knobs would be another option. gonna do it when i get my dimarzios i guess that's a really nice idea. i can get you a diagram if you want for how to make it for the bridge only
On a HSS set up usually the humbucker is just running straight to the volume pot and bypassing everything else, and it's not linked into a tone pot.

Your guitar prolly has 250k all around, since that's what's most common on SSS set ups. Just get a 500k pot, remove the volume pot, and remember where all the wires went before, and wire in the 500k volume pot the same way the 250k pot was. And you humbucker will fit in there the same way you took out the single coil.

You might have to get a HSS pickguard if your guitar has one, and you might have to route out some wood if your guitar is not routed to take humbuckers.
I also want to warn against Invaders... they're useless most of the time, except under perfect conditions. But like said above, if you're absolutely sure, go for it. But have you tried out D-Activators? I ask because I noticed you said the Invader was the closest you can get to active tone without getting actives... unless I misread that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i have a somewhat different suggestion. instead of putting a humbucker perhaps you should consider some Lace Sensor pickups. the red, silver, blue set will give you some cool tone options and almost elimintae the noise. the red is the bridge pickups and is pretty hot. now i will say that these are single coils (however they work on a tiotally different principal than standard pickups) but they do a great metal sound as well as other styles.

i agree that the invader is a one trick pony and you may grow tired of it after not to long.
Worst case scenario ill sell the invader and throw in some other humbucker. After i get my new guitar im just gonna use this one as a backup. Thanks for the advice on the pots.