I'm in the school jazz band and I have a 4 bar solo in the latest piece we've been given. The progression I'm soloing over is this:

|Bb Eb Bb Eb | Bb Eb Bb Eb | Bb Eb Bb Eb | Bb Eb Bb Eb |

Not the most exciting progression in the world, but anyway...
I've been using Bb blues and pentatonic with added passing notes etc. to solo over this and don't get me wrong - it works, but I'm looking for something a little less diatonic. Does anyone have any ideas on what scales that I can base my solo on to create some interesting listening?

Thanks

___

Correction (again):
The progression is actually this:
|Bb7 / Eb7 / | x4
>.<
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Mar 21, 2011,
How about Bb Dorian - Eb Dorian, with the last one spicing the last Bb chord with some chromaticism to resolve to Eb.
I was gonna say Eb Dorian too
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
I'm in the school jazz band and I have a 4 bar solo in the latest piece we've been given. The progression I'm soloing over is this:

|Bb Eb Bb Eb | Bb Eb Bb Eb | Bb Eb Bb Eb | Bb Eb Bb Eb |

Not the most exciting progression in the world, but anyway...
I've been using Bb blues and pentatonic with added passing notes etc. to solo over this and don't get me wrong - it works, but I'm looking for something a little less diatonic. Does anyone have any ideas on what scales that I can base my solo on to create some interesting listening?

Thanks

___

Correction:
The progression is actually this:
|Bb / Eb / | x4
(same difference lol )

What song is it?

Id probably try to work out some melodies between the 2 chords. Chord tones + scale.

btw, are those chords 7ths? or are they just written as Bb & Eb?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Sean0913
You basically have a I IV, Try a Cb/B melodic minor for some outside ideas.

Sean

It sounds like it's a V-I tbh. I could be wrong, but that's what I am getting.
Quote by GuitarMunky
What song is it?

Id probably try to work out some melodies between the 2 chords. Chord tones + scale.

btw, are those chords 7ths? or are they just written as Bb & Eb?

The piece is called "The Chicken" by Alfred James Ellis.
Ah damn! They are 7th chords! My bad. It's getting late :P

Quote by rhys digby
It sounds like it's a V-I tbh. I could be wrong, but that's what I am getting.

Sean's right, bro. It is a I VI progression. V I would be F and Bb (if my brain is working correctly) I also forgot to mention that the overall key of the piece is Bb major.

Thanks all for the input. What do you think of Bb locrian though? I love the locrian sound, but will it compliment the progression?
Bb mixolydian and Eb mixolydian would be your go to scales.
also available are both Eb (for the Eb7) and Bb (for either) blues scales, as well as the F blues scale (over Bb), or if you really want to get into it Eb or Bb altered (the seventh mode of E or B melodic minor using an enharmonic spelling).
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
if it was V-I, like I was thinking then, it would be the Bb as chord V and Eb as chord I, so nope, it's not F.. but you've said it's in Bb now,so it is I-IV. I think Eb Dorian would still work.
Eb Dorian contains the same notes as Eb Pentatonic and Bb Pentatonic I think. I'm just going off the top of my head, so it should work. Just about using pentatonics creatively.
Last edited by rhys digby at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by rhys digby
if it was V-I, like I was thinking then, it would be the Bb as chord V and E as chord I, so nope, it's not F.. but you've said it's in Bb now,so it is I-IV. I think Eb Dorian would still work.
Eb Dorian contains the same notes as Eb Pentatonic and Bb Pentatonic I think. I'm just going off the top of my head, so it should work. Just about using pentatonics creatively.

Totally...but I wanted to stray away from blues and pentatonics because I use then quite often. I even whacked out the pentatonic scale with a whole bunch of non-harmony notes and passing note a while ago; it's weird to listen to but wickid to solo with:

Bb Whacked-out Pentatonic Scale
e------------------------------------------------6-7-8-9--
b-------------------------------------6-7-8-9-------------
g---------------------------5-6-7-8-----------------------
d-------------------6-7-8---------------------------------
a-----------6-7-8------------------------------------------
E-5-6-8-9-----------------------------------------------------
yeah, I suppose so, but if you're stickiing to the E Dorian, it's not quite the same as using pentatonics. Dorian can just sound very smooth and would work over that. Is it really a progression if it's only two chords? haha.

My melodic minor modal knowledge isn't great so I can't offer advice over that I'm afraid. Try loadsa stuff.
Quote by rhys digby
yeah, I suppose so, but if you're stickiing to the E Dorian, it's not quite the same as using pentatonics. Dorian can just sound very smooth and would work over that. Is it really a progression if it's only two chords? haha.

My melodic minor modal knowledge isn't great so I can't offer advice over that I'm afraid. Try loadsa stuff.

Yeah...the part I solo over is actually a 4 bar bridge which links back to the theme. I have quite a vast theoretical knowledge of modes and stuff because I learn all that at school, but when it comes to applying that knowledge to playing I don't know what I'm doing hahaha.
Honestly, I'd play over this just like any other blues progression. It's not about using different scales, it's about not being stuck in one scale. Be intentional about chord tones and tensions. Don't just run through the scale.

Most importantly, listen, and play what you hear. "Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything" (Chick Corea). Scales do nothing to engage the metaphorical "ear" of the mind. Not that they're bad, it's just that your playing is bound to sound scalar or diatonic if you don't let your creative mind do the creating.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Sean0913
I like that Chick Corea quote, never heard it, but its one of those simple but profound statements!

Sean
Yeah I just heard it recently, and it really got me thinking about my approach to composing/improvising.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by jayx124
this is a demonstration I recorded a while back on the same progression but I think in the key of A. In this demonstration I use a minor pentatonic/blues scale on the A and a A MM on the D
Hope this helps:
http://www.box.net/shared/kcl2d2r6vj

I quite liked that.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.