I'm assuming this is the right place to post this but if not I'm sorry, also this has probably been asked before but in the meshuggah song- bleed, what would be the proper picking technique used? Would it be DUDD or DUDU..D = downstroke U = upstroke.....Ive heard drummers say that the pattern is RLR-L so that made me wonder if it was the same for the rhythm of the guitar. I'm leaning more towards the DUDU approach but its a mind**** in my opinion....thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc98u-eGzlc
CoB>FoB
"I am just a man, with a heart and sinful hands"

Gear:
Washburn Idol WI68
Washburn x-series floyd rose
Full stack Laney
other shitty amps/pedals/guitars
M-audio Interface
there isn't a 'proper' one, there's only what feels right to you.
i've always played it as DUDD though, if thats of any help to you.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
The guys in the band play it with strict alternate picking, DUDU all the way.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've always seen it like a normal DUDUDUDUDUD in 16th but insead of a normal D, I play the D like DU-D where the first DU is in 32th. So in 16th the pattern is DU-D-U for me.
The guys in the band play it with strict alternate picking, DUDU all the way.

I'm pretty sure it's DUD-D, standard gallop + extra 16th. I've never seen anyone play this pattern or a standard gallop with strict alternate.

If you've got almost any fairly simple rythmic pattern you want to get all your downstrokes to line up on the strong beats, and if you strict alt it you get half your pickstrokes in the "wrong" place.

Play it whatever, but I would bet that the variations become harder and harder to play and memorise unless you do it that way.
Quote by Freepower
I'm pretty sure it's DUD-D, standard gallop + extra 16th. I've never seen anyone play this pattern or a standard gallop with strict alternate.

If you've got almost any fairly simple rythmic pattern you want to get all your downstrokes to line up on the strong beats, and if you strict alt it you get half your pickstrokes in the "wrong" place.

Play it whatever, but I would bet that the variations become harder and harder to play and memorise unless you do it that way.

We've been through this before Freepower http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd6z39PbIRw They do play it with strict alternate.

I maintain that it definitely is doable with the standard gallop technique... they just don't use it

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 22, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
We've been through this before Freepower http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd6z39PbIRw They do play it with strict alternate.

I maintain that it definitely is doable with the standard gallop technique... they just don't use it

If only Fredrik was less economical - I see standard gallop technique, although he's so bloody quick and the motions are so tiny I'm never 100%.

I wish they'd done it slow and then fast.
Quote by Freepower
If only Fredrik was less economical - I see standard gallop technique, although he's so bloody quick and the motions are so tiny I'm never 100%.

I wish they'd done it slow and then fast.

Would have been better if they had but the way I figure it if he'd been doing it with the more standard galloping technique his hand would be moving at a constant pace rather than having the small bursts of speed for the gallops.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by gmentor
dude here how they do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd6z39PbIRw

it is a slow play
enjoy

So that thing where you actually read threads and don't just repost links is cool, right? Also, there is nothing slow about that lesson at all.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
It was just hard for me to tell from that video because his hand is going so fast that it looks like it lags... If it's strict alternate picking then that makes me want to set my guitar down and never pick it up again...too good
CoB>FoB
"I am just a man, with a heart and sinful hands"

Gear:
Washburn Idol WI68
Washburn x-series floyd rose
Full stack Laney
other shitty amps/pedals/guitars
M-audio Interface
I'm the exact opposite of you, I just tried to play it DUD D and I can't imagine doing that for the duration of the song. Granted, it did take me a fair bit of practice to be able to play the riffs at all, but strict alternate definitely seems like the way to go in the long run.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."
^ I was guessing some of the later variations get really difficult because the looping might not start on the same pickstroke - does that happen or no?

I haven't learnt the song and can't gallop that fast anyway, so insight appreciated.

Would have been better if they had but the way I figure it if he'd been doing it with the more standard galloping technique his hand would be moving at a constant pace rather than having the small bursts of speed for the gallops.

I think you see the bursts of speed even if you do it like a standard gallop.

I would expect to see more defined up-picks if it was strict alt.

Again, his technique is so good I'd need slo-mo or higher quality vids to be sure either way.
My post came out a little wrong, I meant strict alternate for the first pattern. There are sections I would not go strict alternate, for example the section after the first riff where Marten's guitar plays by itself when the second pattern begins, I would go DUD D U D DUD U. On the video they do seem to play strict alternate, the trick being accenting notes both on upstrokes and downstrokes. That is beyond me at this point
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."