Basically, I've been planning to get a decent modelling amp for a while now. At a budget of around £120-odd, here was my list of possibilities -

Vox VT-15
Peavey Vypyr 15
Laney Prism P20

And less likely, the Line 6 Spider IV 15

Now, due to unforseen circumstances, I've quite suddenly ended up with a bigger budget, £220.

I'd like to make the most of my cash, so I thought I'd ask you lot for more suggestions.

I'm also open to wildcard ideas, involving pedals and effects and whatnot, but for the sake of convenience I'd prefer to have it in one place (though if I can get a better sound through just a couple of pedals, let me at 'em).

I'm using an Epi Vintage G-400, which is entirely stock but for the strings.

So, help me UG!
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Two Vox Pathfinders in stereo!

All kidding aside, what are you going to be playing on this?
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Vox Vt20 definetly, only £150 and dont realy need to waste money on pedals. The clean sound is great aswell
Forever shouting 'IM THE DEVIL I CAN DO WHAT I WANT' at inappropriate times.

Have a look at the Fender SuperChamp XD. You can get some good tones out of that amp.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Whoa, thanks for the help.

I'm interested, even if only to sell it for profit.

Edit: DAMN IT. Bloody pick-up only.

Sorry, I should maybe have mentioned that I live up in Orkney, where it's hard to test stuff out. The nearest (pretty poorly stocked) music shop is an hour and twenty minutes on a ferry away.

Really though.

Anyway, more information on my situation is called for. I'd like to play a whole range of stuff on my amp (hence why I listed a series of modelers in the OP), but I don't really need stupid thrashy high-gain metal modes. I'll need something with at least two channels, a good clean sound, and some nice distortion. Portability ain't an issue for me (at least when I get the thing, it might be hard to deliver a full-stack up here). However, I'm still a bit of a newbie, and I really want as much versatility as possible.

I hope that helps.

Also, I've decided to extend my budget to £250. Keep in mind that whatever I get will probably be through catalogs or the internet, so I'll have to take at least £20-odd postage out of that.

Thanks again for the help.

Quote by sonic_777111
Two Vox Pathfinders in stereo!

All kidding aside, what are you going to be playing on this?

A whole heap of stuff. I'd list bands, but when it comes down to it I'd list Muse and Biffy Clyro, both of which are so diverse in their music that they're really no help at all.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Last edited by NeutralFan at Mar 22, 2011,
I am sure if you offered to pay for postage they would post it for you.

would come in at about 235 tops i reckon mate.

that peavey is epic

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Message the seller and offer to use parcel2go to arrange a courier for it, that amps been on ebay awhile so the guy will be desperate to get rid of it.
Laney VC15?
Laney Cub 12R?
VHT Special 6 Ultra?
Vox AC4?

Assuming you dont play anything heavier than AC/DC, you'll probably need a pedal for anything more.
Quote by Tom 1.0

**** me. For that price TS go for this or else I'll beat you to it
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by beckyjc
Laney VC15?
Laney Cub 12R?

VHT Special 6 Ultra?
Vox AC4?

Assuming you dont play anything heavier than AC/DC, you'll probably need a pedal for anything more.

We have a winner.

Otherwise, get your ass on a train and go get that Peavey dammit.
Well, DHL can deliver up here, but other than that couriers avoid Orkney like the plague. Bastards.

Anyway, while I'm interested in the Peavey, I really know nothing about that model in particular. I know it's a valve amp, but other than that? Will I get the same versitality from it as I would with a solid state modeler?

The other thing is that the cheapest quote from DHL for something that big and heavy is about £45, and it could take months to get up here.

Though I'm very greatful and intrigued by the Peavey, I'm looking more for general suggestion rather than specific offers.

And ordering through a catalog or website (most of which will post through DHL at a much lower price) may be easier and cheaper than getting something secondhand.

Still though, I'm loath to miss out on an offer as downright brilliant as that.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Quote by rawkandrowl
And another thing. . . . nothing wrong with Line 6. ALSO don't get sucked into the tube overhype!! Read this: http://www.frugalguitarist.com/Frugal.aspx?Issue=15&Page=Solid%20State%20Hate

Hey, I've got nothing against Line 6 or solid-state amps. In fact, every amp I listed (with the exception of the VT-15, though to all extents and purposes that's solid-state too) is solid-state. It's just that I'm also open to valves (especially now I have an extended budget), and I've heard from several people that the Spider IV is good, but the Vypyr and VT-15 are better.

Or maybe I'm just biased.

Carrying on that subject, has anyone got any options (not insane Peavey offers) for decent, versatile valve amps under £250?
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Quote by Metal_Ghost
The laney cubs are a definate win win!

Hmm. I'm interested, especially in the CUB12R.

What do you think?

Still though, you kind and helpful bastards have brought up this dilemma with the Peavey.

Thanks, I suppose.

Really, that's the most convenient place to put that smiley ever.

Edit: Hmm, Gear4Music say that shipping to offshore locations may cost more, although it seems to qualify for free delivery. The Google shopping search, to my postcode, seemed to say it'd be free.

In any case, this is very, very far from definite. I'll look around more.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Last edited by NeutralFan at Mar 23, 2011,