I play mainly metal. The amp I play through is a line 6 valve 212 MKII. It's got plenty of gain, but I can never find the tone I want. I play things like Killswitch Engage, As I lay dying, August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, Lamb of God, Metallica, Etc. Should I look into pedals? If so, what should I be looking at? Thanks
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
Tubescreamer wil help make your sound tighter
and scooping yout mids is never a bad idea for metal
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
It has enough "metal" amps settings to get you metal tone. What do you not like about it?
There is so much to think of, but in my opinion "tube amp + tubescreamer + humbuckers = pretty good tone for metal"
That's one of the things I don't like about modeler amps, the presets are unchangeable, you can only adjust the EQ after the preset.

Running pedals into a modeler amp is usually a big no no, but idk if that applies to a valve version of a modeler amp.

Have you tried replacing the valves?
Honestly it sounds like you just simply do not like the voicing of the amp.

There are many many things you can do with pedals and rack gear. But that is still tweaking the original voicing.

I would suggest trying out other amps.

If you do not have the budget, you can find a Ampeg VH-140 for $400 or less.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
What the poster above me said +1

More than likely you're going to want to get / try out a new amp. Some of those bands you've mentioned do have very tight bottom end when it comes to tone and most Line 6 amps usually don't give you that aggressively tight low end.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-417
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
New amp unfortunately
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
^^This is Ultimate-Guitar.com - you always need a new amp!

I've been in the market for a new amp lately, and have tried an Orange (forget what model, but it was a tube halfstack), various Blackstar amps, and the Peavey 6505+ Head/halfstack.

Hands down, I fell in love with the 6505's tone. And I play similar stuff - though more black metal and thrash than metalcore. The 6505 sounded brutal - hell, I sounded brutal through that thing...

I've got one on the way to my house as we speak...
Last edited by KailM at Mar 22, 2011,
splawn nitro.

/thread.

seriously.

it will end your craving for broot tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Spider Valve Mk2 basically has a tubescreamer built in (the gain fx knob).
I am not sure about the other bands but I know for certain that there are a bunch of Killswitch Engage presets . I tried them out a few weeks ago on a spider 4 and they sounded pretty good, the Killswitch Engage- Killswitch Engage or Chuggernaut presets were both pretty wicked.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
The Spider Valve Mk2 basically has a tubescreamer built in (the gain fx knob).
I am not sure about the other bands but I know for certain that there are a bunch of Killswitch Engage presets . I tried them out a few weeks ago on a spider 4 and they sounded pretty good, the Killswitch Engage- Killswitch Engage or Chuggernaut presets were both pretty wicked.

splawn nitro.

/thread.

seriously.

it will end your craving for broot tone.

one of the guys from killswitch uses a nitro, my point exactly. lawyzzzzz.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I always preferred the older KsE tones from Alive or Just Breathing and The End of Heartache. Back then, they used mostly Rectos, Framus Dragons, and Framus Cobras. The Cobra is an awesome metal/metalcore amp and its super versatile.
KSE is a horrible, horrible band. Lets stop suggesting for him to sound like one of the worst metalcore bands of the past ten years.
But in other news - new amp. The Line 6 Spider series, as far as I've played them, do not make for good metal amps. I get some real nice sounds from mine - just not nice metal sounds.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
KSE is a horrible, horrible band. Lets stop suggesting for him to sound like one of the worst metalcore bands of the past ten years.
But in other news - new amp. The Line 6 Spider series, as far as I've played them, do not make for good metal amps. I get some real nice sounds from mine - just not nice metal sounds.

And what kind of metalcore is soooooo great that puts KSE to so much shame that you can act this way? If the guy likes KSE, so be it. No need to be an angry son of a gun and start a pissing match on a forum just to bash a group.

TS- really look into a new amp. Yes, the spider valves do take pedals well enough, but in all honesty, you will have better luck with a new amp. I hate recommending it, just due to the fact that every friggin band seems to have one now a days, but check out the Peavey 6505. They have the 112 combo for 500.

If you don't want a new amp, a totally viable thing btw, I'd personally grab a 10 band eq, a ts, and use the hi-gain blue setting. Now, i haven't used a spider valve since i tried the original head in a store, but on their website they say its based of a herbert. If its 75% of the way there, by using the eq, you should be able to get it the rest of the way.

Also, try turning the gain down a bit, raising the bass and mids a tad and lowering the highs. When you crank that SOB now, itll appear to have a thicker bottom end and less of a high shrillness.

Just my $.02
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by OceansBetweenUs

Please leave out your unnecessary opinions. No one wants to hear them.