Alright guys, here is my plight. I've been writing music on guitar for the better half of about a year, and have a few friends that I plan on creating a band with. The drummer and I are big fans of RHCP, and the other guitarist not so much, but he still likes them.

My plight is that being a big fan of RHCP, most of the stuff I have come up with on guitar that I like sounds very similar to some of the stuff RHCP has created, and the rhythm guitarist makes a habit of pointing this out all the time. My question is, at what point do you think musical influence dips into musical plagiarism?
Yeah this is my biggest fear when songwriting, how the hell am I supposed to know if a certain riff has been written before? Plagiarism is so easy to accidentally do.
it isnt considered plagiarism unless you have the exact same melody/riffs/same chord progression. i mean, we only have 7 notes and unless you're Alan holdsworth you cant always be original
It's almost impossible to not write something that has been written before. Don't worry about it. If you are really worried, then try and play some things that aren't what you would normally play. Try and spice it up a bit, while keeping it the way you like it.

it isnt considered plagiarism unless you have the exact same melody/riffs/same chord progression. i mean, we only have 7 notes and unless you're Alan holdsworth you cant always be original

Pretty much this.
Just try your best, and don't worry.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Probably a good thing that your rhythm guitarist isn't a big fan of the RHCP. That'll add some variances to your sound and give you a unique but still recognisable feel.
Music is used and re-used throughout history, if you've played it, odds are someone else has played it. As long as its not note to note, you've never heard the song, or its a very very well know riff (Crazy Train, One, Ect) then they can't really sue you

However nomatter what you will have bastards on the internet pointing out every flaw